G4rth

Things we always meant to do but never got round to doing.

With the prospect of the over 70's and the "at risk" probably being asked to self isolate for several weeks I was wondering what "unfinished projects" we have that could occupy our time.

I have a few. 

1) Finish the radio controlled plane I started about 55 years ago and has followed me about unfinished since then.

2) Learn to play the keyboard that I purchased 27 years ago because having failed miserably to learn the piano as a child I thought I'd have another go. 

3) Use the amateur radio licence that I spent hours at college to pass the exams 43 years ago and haven't used since.

Anyone else as lazy as me?

• Like 1

I have a huge stash of model kits with more paint than humbrol to keep me going. I've also got a lathe in the garage I've never used so may turn a few bits of wood into weird and wonderful shapes plus there'll be no excuse not to finish the books either.

I'll be stuck here as the missus will still be working regardless and I have a feeling that both our April and May holidays will be cancelled shortly.

Keep posting on here too G4rth, let us know how your getting on.

There is enough stuff in my workshop to stock a traditionl model shop and plenty of projects to work on. I have recently completed a Fairey Swordsman kit for a review which is published in the current issue of Model Boats  magazine,

From what Grant Shapps was saying this morning (and the Chief Medical Officer of Scotland) Over 70s will not actually be locked up but urged to cut down face to face social contact drastically. It is not likely to be compulsory (how would they enforce it?) and dogs can be walked etc. I think most people would be OK with that. We went shopping this morning (fortunately not for loo rolls as there weren't any). On returning to the car we wiped our hands on a Dettol wet wipe which I also used on the steering wheel and gear knob. We hope to get out for a country or seaside walk later in the week.

(DTR)Swordsman OTW (9).JPG

(DTR)Swordsman Build (17).JPG

• Like 3

Drones is how they are policing it in Italy , I will just go out running more I have plenty quiet spots on my doorstep.

D2E2C20E-0D45-4DEF-92BF-E72E68463934.thumb.jpeg.c47bba4e3ccf07845f96d3f74b7e3bdc.jpegD2719E05-60CC-4A3E-9B1C-3FDA35278CFC.thumb.jpeg.3814951f512ec7976ebead6b09c91fd6.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jonno said:

I have a huge stash of model kits with more paint than humbrol to keep me going. I've also got a lathe in the garage I've never used so may turn a few bits of wood into weird and wonderful shapes plus there'll be no excuse not to finish the books either.

I'll be stuck here as the missus will still be working regardless and I have a feeling that both our April and May holidays will be cancelled shortly.

Keep posting on here too G4rth, let us know how your getting on.

You guys are very organized - I've only the garden to fall back on!

2 hours ago, cvabishop said:

There is enough stuff in my workshop to stock a traditionl model shop and plenty of projects to work on. I have recently completed a Fairey Swordsman kit for a review which is published in the current issue of Model Boats  magazine,

From what Grant Shapps was saying this morning (and the Chief Medical Officer of Scotland) Over 70s will not actually be locked up but urged to cut down face to face social contact drastically. It is not likely to be compulsory (how would they enforce it?) and dogs can be walked etc. I think most people would be OK with that. We went shopping this morning (fortunately not for loo rolls as there weren't any). On returning to the car we wiped our hands on a Dettol wet wipe which I also used on the steering wheel and gear knob. We hope to get out for a country or seaside walk later in the week.

(DTR)Swordsman OTW (9).JPG

(DTR)Swordsman Build (17).JPG

Most of those beauties got blown up in Bond films or sold by us and other brokers to the Maldives. Back to when the UK manufactured stuff...

E138563E-829B-4316-87A6-E60049BE199B.thumb.jpeg.6084a27d33c84e6f79762cf333c7b86d.jpeg

At least it’s decent weather here so I got out running to “The Rink” and I will proceed to bore you with some dull facts , in times gone by before Jesus spoiled it all the ancients believed that spiritual places were where the rivers joined so the Rink is one of the first settled places in the Scottish Borders, stay tuned for more mildly interesting facts.

• Like 1

After this morning’s attempt at social distancing at Tesco’s and ASDAs and the general gloom at humanity’s inability to deal with crisis , I will survive with a different loaf of bread than I normally buy it does make you realise what’s and who is important in life though , it’s not the stars on tv or footballers although they are important to provide entertainment and joy to our life’s , the really important people  the people we can’t live  without are the people who deliver our daily bread (see what I did there?) , the local butchers and bakers, the nurses and doctors , the home care workers who keep the most vulnerable people in society in comfort and healthy and the other “unskilled “ workers who were apparently unimportant but form the back bone of society , this virus will pass and we will go back to normal but hopefully a different normal because whilst we’ve not been flying places or going on large cruise ships or making unnecessary journeys the planet has been healing itself , anyway it’s just a thought along with the usual grammatical errors and photos of social distancing Selkirk hill style and always remember Ringo Stars words of advice “peace and love , peace and love”.B9152522-1628-47AC-A568-492D7E37C811.jpeg.51ac5198e1f1e786acabcec4b6001c4b.jpeg2C1B59CC-AF4C-439B-B5C1-A728B80F769C.jpeg.02d09bee65690b0bdffc9fb6f52d00a1.jpeg3B2DADDC-056B-4308-A963-3BFD6124AC16.jpeg.c2093ce42ca7ef7227c2ec8b6cab75de.jpeg

• Like 1

’ve a feeling the garden will be pristine this year

Or turned into an allotment - with hens....

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Or turned into an allotment - with hens....

There’s a section of it ready for planting although the local fruit n veg shop is rather excellent and fully stocked plus I can pick eggs up on my run .

7 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

plus I can pick eggs up on my run .

I hope you've got a well-damped bag! Ed. 

I have started on my garden - cutting back the ivy, holly and shrubbery coming over the fence from my neighbour's.

Trouble is I now have 15 bin sacks full of garden waste and I can't legitimately take them to the household tip which is around 6 miles away - may have to burn in the chiminea which will pass the time I suppose!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

I’ve a feeling the garden will be pristine this year .

We moved house 6 weeks ago and our new garden hadn't had much attention in well over a year. I was desperate to my vegetable plot started but realised it was probably too big a task for this year because of all that needs done inside. Thanks to having not been in the office since last Tuesday and not having access to my files until today, most of the weeds are dug out and I am well on my way to growing lots of veg.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nottingham said:

I have started on my garden - cutting back the ivy, holly and shrubbery coming over the fence from my neighbour's.

Trouble is I now have 15 bin sacks full of garden waste and I can't legitimately take them to the household tip which is around 6 miles away - may have to burn in the chiminea which will pass the time I suppose!

My garden waste bin is almost full and my fear is that the council suspends uplifts. They had already closed the waste sites.

21 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I hope you've got a well-damped bag! Ed. 

I use my mouth 😉 

4 minutes ago, elaine80 said:

My garden waste bin is almost full and my fear is that the council suspends uplifts. They had already closed the waste sites.

I used my composter if it gets too bad I will have a fire .

We have really fine weather today, the Red Kites are out in force. For the first time in my life I've jet washed the patio furniture- karcher's own cleaning stuff isn't half bad, burnt all the weeds out of the cracks in the slabs and filled all the bird feeders.

I bought all the gear last year so if the weather holds i'll wire the lights along the garage wall and the the two recirculating water troughs either side of said jet washed Lutyens bench. Now all I need to do is blow the cobwebs off the old SDS drill... I like putting holes in things!?!?!

Planning a bit of trellis and climbing roses too.

• Like 2

I've just finished cleaning out my garden shed, but resisted the temptation to throw several things away as the local waste/recycling centre is closed (guess they all are). We bought two new carpets last week, realising that we'd have time to fit them, but not thinking that we will be stuck with the old carpets for weeks afterwards.

Got lots of gardening planned, as well as that old favourite, tidying the garage. I could get quite used to this staying at home lark, if only things would calm down at the supermarkets - surely all the panic buyers and hoarders have had enough by now? 🤔

• Like 1

My skirting boards in my hallway - quite chipped over the years with wear and tear with all the stuff that knocks against them so need sanding and painting.  They have needed so for some time and bought some white gloss and sandpaper just before Christmas - planned to do then Christmas day as I am such a humbug, but somehow they worked their way to the back of the cupboard.  I went to clear out a shelf to stash supplies in and came across these items, so that is a job could be done!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shefford said:

I could get quite used to this staying at home lark,

The secret is to replace the work with occupations you like doing. I retired at 47 and have been mischievously enjoying myself for 5 years now... I've turned into Dick Van Dyke in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. The wife is packing up in three years and I think has plans to help @Fine Whine reduce his stock levels!

• Like 2

Convinced my mother that I had got a new dog alas it was only a Google AR one , anyway work tomorrow so won’t be up to much there.

DA6F9D52-5ED8-41DD-A945-D93EB3683882.thumb.jpeg.327d188235209e407d0d230cb965373d.jpeg

Tucked away as we are in the lovely Cotentin Peninsular I've found plenty to occupy my time..

Walk the dogs 

Feed the dogs

Feed the birds

Plant raspberries, blackcurrants and gooseberries

Plant potatoes, carrots, etc

Been attacked by vicious rose thorns

Mow the grass ad infinitum

Beat Mrs FW at cribbage ad infinitum

Restore the garden funiture

Do all other pesky jobs I've been putting off for some time

And we've spent most evenings recently with a glass of wine in hand admiring the stunning night skies (no light pollution here)

Chris

• Like 2

@Fine Whine do you think we will see cheaper wine prices as a result of this due to lack of sales this year causing a backlog or are wine sales on the whole holding up? (Trying to look for a positive)