G4rth

Things we always meant to do but never got round to doing.

1 hour ago, jonno said:

It makes a tidy model the IBG kit. There was a  beach diorama at Telford in 2014 built with the Scammel heavy breakdown truck liveried for the 22nd Armoured Brigade, finely weathered, not OTT. It was an excellent piece.

I'll look forward to a few pics of it once finished?

It will turned out as a Showman's heavy haulage tractor. It's just arrived and I have to say the mouldings look excellent.

• Like 1

Bit the bullet & conned the wife now nearly three grand lighter. (Easters holiday budget)

Been doing some work on the big Yank Mac Truck. Pic of Chassis

YANK.JPG

• Like 1

New kit coming on Thursday.

Wife OK about it. Not sure how she will take the cost of an extension to the work shop (man cave) to put it in. It will be a bit cramped for a few weeks until I get the courage to  raise the subject

If anybody is interested in both leaning how to drive a ship and playing with large-scale models, this place is for you. I'm not sure if they do holidays but it may be the only place you can take th helm of a ship called 'Normandie'.

http://www.portrevel.com/

Ed

• Like 2

On 16/05/2020 at 05:43, IanN said:

New kit coming on Thursday.

Wife OK about it. Not sure how she will take the cost of an extension to the work shop (man cave) to put it in. It will be a bit cramped for a few weeks until I get the courage to  raise the subject

I have just spent a happy week repairing and painting my shed (which is stacked with her stuff.  "You could have bought a new one"  Grrrrrrrrrrrr ............

• Haha 1

I had several pieces of timber left over from woodworking projects over the years. Seemed like a good time to try and make something from them as they have been hanging around 'in case I need them'. The alternative was to put them on the woodburner. So a small side table has resulted, and earned me several Brownie points.

DSC_3403.jpg

DSC_3402.jpg

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Trun said:

earned me several Brownie points.

And your cub-scout woodworking badge too. Ed. 

• Haha 1

It’s only taken 5 years to do the proper installation 😀

it’s a 1991 Mclaren Honda.

the last one they won the world championship together before the unhappy reunion 2015-2017

31416C63-0871-4B8A-84E3-4A0B37F2BFDF.jpeg

E6981DBF-BEC2-437D-8D6A-DFA1817E346A.jpeg

1 hour ago, jamie said:

It’s only taken 5 years to do the proper installation 😀

it’s a 1991 Mclaren Honda.

the last one they won the world championship together before the unhappy reunion 2015-2017

31416C63-0871-4B8A-84E3-4A0B37F2BFDF.jpeg

E6981DBF-BEC2-437D-8D6A-DFA1817E346A.jpeg

You are as mad as me, I still haven't got around to fitting the spokes into the wheels  of the E-Type Jag although the Shelby Mustang went together quickly enough.

On 15/05/2020 at 10:56, jonno said:

I'll now need an excuse to replace my booth and airbrush which are knackered, I'm back to brush for now. I need a new Dremmel stand too... and a PE shaping tool... and new files... and...

Even though I had a career in industrial stoving 1975-6 I have never used an airbrush. Is a booth vital for the amount of overspray produced? Having not been able to go out on the razzle for nearly three months I have some capital and may invest in a Dremmel for the first time too. 

Been meaning to get a steel framed road bike for the poor quality roads around here and a friend was selling one so,, meet Percy the charge Plug 

FB4B4BEF-CA7F-4090-AEE2-D1414E57A280.thumb.jpeg.a19d5ca4539f0b0a24abff5f72cbe2e7.jpeg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Stunning backdrop! 

I don't think I could cope with those drop handlebars these days though!

Leaderfoot viaduct sadly not used these days , I had to adjust the handlebars when I got home but they ride was so smooth it made up for it.

706D8914-D9F7-469D-9286-D5BFCEDB039D.thumb.jpeg.7826943e1f5d1c5275b215fff4cec79c.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Millsy said:

Even though I had a career in industrial stoving 1975-6 I have never used an airbrush. Is a booth vital for the amount of overspray produced? Having not been able to go out on the razzle for nearly three months I have some capital and may invest in a Dremmel for the first time too. 

A quality booth with extraction isn't totally necessary, a sturdy cardboard box with the side cut out works really well if well lit... but if you want to use enamels especially I'd look at an extraction booth.

I've just bought the last one of these from Bartsharp but they have a host of others.

https://bartsharpairbrush.co.uk/product/large-airbrush-spray-booth-led-lights/

They also do quality airbrush kits which won't break the bank but again they sell out rapidly.

• Like 1

On 17/05/2020 at 22:22, Cabin-boy said:

If anybody is interested in both leaning how to drive a ship and playing with large-scale models, this place is for you. I'm not sure if they do holidays but it may be the only place you can take th helm of a ship called 'Normandie'.

http://www.portrevel.com/

Ed

I was just told that there is another of these places, this one being in the UK down near Southampton.

They seem to offer very similar training, the only difference being that at the end of your day on the water you won't find the dockers refuse to let you tie your supertanker up to the dock becuse they have decided to go on strike. 😉

https://www.solent.ac.uk/facilities/ship-handling-centre

Ed

On 15/05/2020 at 14:05, jonno said:

It makes a tidy model the IBG kit. There was a  beach diorama at Telford in 2014 built with the Scammel heavy breakdown truck liveried for the 22nd Armoured Brigade, finely weathered, not OTT. It was an excellent piece.

I'll look forward to a few pics of it once finished?

Just started the Scammell and have to say it's one of the best kits I have ever come across. Very clean mouldings with exceptional detail. Too hot in the workshop this pm so just did the first three sub assemblies.

P1280536 - Edited.jpg

• Like 1

Decided to relive a bit of my younger days, but the joints were not having it! The good bits are around 1:15.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I want to give that soooooooooooo many cups but am limited to one. Takes me back to South Lancs in 1972-5

Jack Ashford: Why do all the records sound the same? Because the same musicians were on all the records!

Is that Jamerson on that Frank Wilson side?

Here are some of them. I think Jack Ashford and Joe Messina are the only ones left now.

Edited by Millsy
  • Thanks 1

On 20/05/2020 at 19:03, neilcvx said:

Been meaning to get a steel framed road bike for the poor quality roads around here and a friend was selling one so,, meet Percy the charge Plug 

FB4B4BEF-CA7F-4090-AEE2-D1414E57A280.thumb.jpeg.a19d5ca4539f0b0a24abff5f72cbe2e7.jpeg

Second hand is probably the only way to get a bike at the moment. We moved in February to a new area with lots of cycle paths close to us and we promised ourselves bikes when we moved. Initially we were too busy but as it became clear that we weren't going to get to France this summer we decided to buy said bikes. One of the offspring has a Decathlon bike which has received many positive comments from folk who know what they are talking about and we had had a bad experience of a Halfords bike in the past so I was aiming for Decathlon bikes, although hubby was willing to look at Halfords. Unfortunately, Decathlon's click and collect doesn't seem to apply to either Braehead or Edinburgh so we are dependent on delivery. One day last week (while I was meant to be working) I managed to find myself a bike and a delivery slot but by the time hubby had looked to see if there was a bike for him, I had lost the delivery slot. Since then, if we managed to find a bike there was no delivery slot until yesterday when I struck lucky (I was nearly late for church because of it) so I have  a bike on its way. Hubby's search continues...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@elaine80 the  Edinburgh bike coop have click and collect but limited numbers, I didn’t really need a new bike but it was shiny and red , I’m under pressure to sell one of my other 3 bikes now especially as the Mrs is selling her road bike.

Apparently Decathlon make their delivery and click and collect slots available at 11pm and they are gone in ten minutes.

Edited by neilcvx

10 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

@elaine80 the  Edinburgh bike coop have click and collect but limited numbers, I didn’t really need a new bike but it was shiny and red , I’m under pressure to sell one of my other 3 bikes now especially as the Mrs is selling her road bike.

Apparently Decathlon make their delivery and click and collect slots available at 11pm and they are gone in ten minutes.

I have been on Decathlon's site at 11pm several nights and they only seem to have their most expensive bikes available at that time; the cheaper ones seem to be available during the day when the delivery slots are gone.