TonyMWeaver

Brittany Ferries asks for Coronavirus Aid

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Seem to recall many onboard staff are, or were, employed by P&O Ferries Gibraltar. It is interesting to see how many firms with legal but what could be considered morally questionable tax arrangements suddenly needing and feeling entitled to assistance from the taxpayer.

There’s an online retailer that is massively profiting from this (has a weeks backlog of orders it’s so busy) avoids paying tax here via a Luxembourg based arrangement and has just been awarded a logistic deal by the government it’s a truly unbelievable state of affairs , not naming names but the guy who doesn’t actually own the group (his wife does)whose asking for money and is a pension stealer and a legal but immoral tax avoider is asking for aid ,there’s so many you could list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim said:

Seem to recall many onboard staff are, or were, employed by P&O Ferries Gibraltar. It is interesting to see how many firms with legal but what could be considered morally questionable tax arrangements suddenly needing and feeling entitled to assistance from the taxpayer.

I cant see any reason to morally question a company in doing what it considers to be a tax efficient move for its shareholders in registering itself in a highly regulated jurisdiction like Gibraltar?

9 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

I cant see any reason to morally question a company in doing what it considers to be a tax efficient move for its shareholders in registering itself in a highly regulated jurisdiction like Gibraltar?

That wasn’t the criticism was it?  I read the criticism as of doing what you just described and then running back to the tax regime that you decided to abandon and expecting a bail-out from it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Gareth said:

That wasn’t the criticism was it?  I read the criticism as of doing what you just described and then running back to the tax regime that you decided to abandon and expecting a bail-out from it.

^ What he said, Gibraltar is just an example, many more use other less restrictive geographies. 

20 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

Then that's the government they should go to for aid, you make the choice of where you register and take the consequences.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I am not disagreeing with statement just the inference of "morally questionable tax arrangements". Many shipping companies register their vessels in British flag jurisdictions because of the status the flag has around the world. P&O (Gibraltar) was actually deregistered as a company in 2010 

49 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

Companies can pay tax where they want employe cheap foreign staff and register their ships in the Bahamas or any where else that has a bit of a British connection but , if they don’t pay into the UK tax pot they shouldn’t expect to take out of it when they need help, I suspect “P&O whatever” have very few UK employees.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Companies can pay tax where they want employe cheap foreign staff and register their ships in the Bahamas or any where else that has a bit of a British connection but , if they don’t pay into the UK tax pot they shouldn’t expect to take out of it when they need help, I suspect “P&O whatever” have very few UK employees.

Companies generally pay tax where their main business is so if that's the UK then they pay UK Tax. I think they have more employees than you might think https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/P&O-Ferries/salaries

9 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

Companies generally pay tax where their main business is so if that's the UK then they pay UK Tax. I think they have more employees than you might think https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/P&O-Ferries/salaries

Generally big companies avoid paying as much tax as they can that’s why Amazon UK pay next to no tax in the UK just like Amazon US there’s plenty more examples I’m sure P&O employe similar accounting techniques.

Amazing Tax bill Amazon

29 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Generally big companies avoid paying as much tax as they can that’s why Amazon UK pay next to no tax in the UK just like Amazon US there’s plenty more examples I’m sure P&O employe similar accounting techniques.

Amazing Tax bill Amazon

This is a never ending story.... Of course Companies want to reduce their tax bills legally just as individuals do.... their employees in the UK however pay N.Ins and Tax and no doubt spend most of their wages in the UK - why do you think then UK Governrment offer tax concessions to large companies to establish themselves in the UK....??

4 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

This is a never ending story.... Of course Companies want to reduce their tax bills legally just as individuals do.... their employees in the UK however pay N.Ins and Tax and no doubt spend most of their wages in the UK - why do you think then UK Governrment offer tax concessions to large companies to establish themselves in the UK....??

Some companies and some individuals, that’s the difference between someone like James Macavoy paying full Uk tax and donating £275k for PPe and Lewis Hamilton holding up a “Thank you NHS” card from his flat in Monaco so he pays less uk tax for every Amazon there’s a Coop that pays tax and does good.

26 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Some companies and some individuals, that’s the difference between someone like James Macavoy paying full Uk tax and donating £275k for PPe and Lewis Hamilton holding up a “Thank you NHS” card from his flat in Monaco so he pays less uk tax for every Amazon there’s a Coop that pays tax and does good.

Amazon employs about 30,000 in the UK as you probably know. Those employees pay tax and NI and as I said probably spend most of their wages in the UK - that's a good thing? If Amazon decide to relocate from the UK it will be the employees who lose out placing the burden on the Tax payer. Yes Lewis did have his learjet registered on the IOM -!!!! something to do with VAT !!

• Haha 1