ac_freeman

Stena Line Oslo to Frederikshavn route closes permanently

Stena Line Closes the Oslo-Frederikshavn Route Permanently

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com
Coronavirus and travel restrictions imposed by Norway and Denmark created a drastic decline in travel bookings on the Stena Line Oslo - Frederikshavn route. On Thursday 19 March the decision was made to permanently close the route after more than 40 years in operation.  
The decision means Stena Line will close their office in Oslo which will affect 30 shore-based employees.
The 1981-built ferry STENA SAGA is currently in lay up in its port of registry, Gothenburg.

Indeed, and important to note that this is a complete and permanent closure, not a suspension.

Andy

There’s gonna be a glut of these closures I suspect it’s all very sad.

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

At least this move had long been telegraphed - they took it down from two ships to one and then in recent times the Sassnitz has been operating a reduced schedule and made extra runs on the Trelleborg-Rostock route instead.

The Trelleborg was the nicer of the route's two ships before she was sold; even with a bit of Stena overlay the Sassnitz was a bit wipe-downable and couldn't quite hide that she'd been built for the East German railways. But she was still fascinating, especially as she was supposed to be the last train ferry in northern Europe still taking passenger trains when the seasonal Berlin-Malmo train resumed later this year. Perhaps they'll be able to route that via Rostock instead.

Here's a video of the train boarding the Sassnitz.

• Thanks 3

I always wondered, what happened to the Trelleborg?

I do find it strange that Stena, who seem keen on consistency had not given the ships Stena prefixed names (Skane could have become Stena Skane or better sounding Stena Scania, ok Stena Mecklenburg-Vorpommern sounds stupid but so did Stena Horsa and Stena Hengist) nor refitted them to match the usual Stena interiors despite having operated them for many years now. I know they do a lot of freight on those Baltic but they renamed the ships they chartered from Seatruck; these ex-Scandlines ones they actually own. Seems odd as the other Sweden-Germany/Denmark routes are to a brand standard as are the Vision/Spirit/Nordica on Sweden-Poland.

I think Mecklenburg-Vorpommen is the worst ferry I have travelled on in recent years, tatty and dated,  not what I expected from Stena. 

Posted (edited)

Although she's been to Gothenburg plenty of times they were apparently concerned with the clearance of the Stena Saga, sailing lightship, under the Älvsborg Bridge as she sailed for layup so closed it to traffic as she passed under - images from marshal79 on Shipspotting.

ShipSpotting.com
3135785.jpg
© marshal79

ShipSpotting.com
3135681.jpg
© marshal79

Edited by hhvferry
  • Like 2

On 26/03/2020 at 17:16, ac_freeman said:

Stena Line Closes the Oslo-Frederikshavn Route Permanently

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com
Coronavirus and travel restrictions imposed by Norway and Denmark created a drastic decline in travel bookings on the Stena Line Oslo - Frederikshavn route. On Thursday 19 March the decision was made to permanently close the route after more than 40 years in operation.  
The decision means Stena Line will close their office in Oslo which will affect 30 shore-based employees.
The 1981-built ferry STENA SAGA is currently in lay up in its port of registry, Gothenburg.

Is that the old Queen of Scandinavia? (DFDS) ?

4 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Is that the old Queen of Scandinavia? (DFDS) ?

It's her sister the ex-Silvia Regina (QOS was the Finlandia).

6 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

It's her sister the ex-Silvia Regina (QOS was the Finlandia).

QOS was one of my favorite ships of all time. Is she still about?

16 hours ago, hhvferry said:

The last voyage of the Sassnitz

She actually has quite a neat modern look to her bow and stern. What's the white blocky V-shaped thing on her stern though (clearly visible at 3.02)?

1 hour ago, VikingVoyager said:

She actually has quite a neat modern look to her bow and stern. What's the white blocky V-shaped thing on her stern though (clearly visible at 3.02)?

Yes, she's quite a sweet little(ish) thing and looks to still be in great condition.

The V shaped thing doesn't appear to be part of the original fitout but seems to be an arrangement of vents - see pics

712218138_sassnitz1(2).jpg.abe5482f4e6c586a8915f8cd61410989.jpg

646162320_sassnitz2(2).jpg.d763f954689b978dd82e842808d65420.jpg

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

The V shaped thing doesn't appear to be part of the original fitout but seems to be an arrangement of vents - see pics

That makes sense now - I can see that vehicle access to that deck is offset - i was thinking they would have to go under the V thing.