Paully

Future travel and the obstacles to it..

Guys

Whilst whiling away the hours of enforced fun, I thought I`d start a thread for us to chip in thoughts, views and opinions on travel everywhere. From will there be anything to go back to?.. through Travel Insurance to how long will it take and what size will travel companies be in the near future..

Just ask that no Religion/Politics or Angry Man Impressions please...We will all have lots of different opinions and solutions. so I`ll kick the ball off below

Thanks

Too early for me to have any thoughts on that.  Right now I’d be quite happy to never book any travel again!  I’m sure that’ll change, but whether it will be with BF remains to be seen.

What I can contribute right now is that, coincidentally, we’ve just had our annual travel insurance through.  We’ve never claimed but the premium is almost double what it was last year.  There will be a phone call made early next week to challenge that, but I’m expecting to be told that this is an industry-wide response to the current mess.

The first obstacle I can see is the travel insurance industry..Very soon the new question on the proposal will be `Have you ever received the NHS stay at home for 12 weeks letter?`..In the event of yes you won`t get cover or if you do it will cost more than the holiday itself. That would, in one fell swoop, seriously affect the cruise industry. Because they would also load the over 70`s to the same degree. They will wriggle out of Covid 19/pandemics or anything nasty that looks like it might cost them money, for everyone. Whilst on the subject of the rest of us, prices will rocket to cover their present losses. 

This terrible situation does mean reduced financial circumstances for a lot of people. The budgeting they did to include foreign holidays will be revised for some and abandoned for others. A disappointment for millions but a disaster for the holiday providers.

So assuming you can make it, pack your bags, get a jolly and off you go...what do you find?..A lot of the bars/restaurants in say Spain will not survive. Many of the Brit bars were clinging on by their fingernails in the good times, they will be gone. A lot of mainland workers in the Canaries and Balearics may not return. It will take years to get things back and running as they were. Greece will fair better as they had a summer season only and are family backed and run. France never had such a tourist trade, a lot of it is year round and yet other parts are based on rural areas (Gites etc). France may be the first to benefit who knows..

As to the EHIC card I`ll make  bold prediction that it actually continues going forward. That would be in everyone`s interest

I will be on the first BF ferry to France that I can get on after this all finishes whenever that may be , read various reports of how long the virus will be around some even saying for ever similar to the cold but obviously on a more deadly scale hopefully they get a vaccine for it ASAP I suspect travel insurance will eventually level itself out again one things for sure though I will never ever set foot on a cruise ship.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Not a bad call. I think the cruise industry is going to take a massive hit, and there may well a number of ships get pulled out of service early and scrapped, particularly the big floating Butlins ones. The small vessel cruises may well do much better. Travel insurance will be a nightmare for the elderly, either outrageously expensive or hedged with so many restrictions they will never pay out anyway. People may even go back to self-insuring (which is already happening with the medical insurance business)

The French tourist trade (and second home owning lark) may well do fairly well because people will self-insure (and/or use the EHIC if it still runs) on the basis that if they get modestly sick they will leg it back to the ferry and get home (my MotherinLaw actually died at our place in France and had to be shipped back: the local doctor and Maire were incredibly helpful).

I can see real airline problems though.

Edited by veryoldbear
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Paully said:

Just ask that no Religion/Politics or Angry Man Impressions please...We will all have lots of different opinions and solutions.

Thanks

Not sure you can do that. What could be more political than the potential less of EHIC? If you can't discuss that then the whole debate is rather meaningless

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think that travel will be impossible without a Covid-19 vaccination card and passport stamp. Remember the Yellow Fever and Smallpox cards?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, G4rth said:

Not sure you can do that. What could be more political than the potential less of EHIC? If you can't discuss that then the whole debate is rather meaningless

Then please don`t comment..As I said no politics..Thank you

Edited by Paully

I daren't tell you my exact age, but I have been travelling overseas for 65 years since I was a teenager.  I think I clocked up 20 countries - but travel insurance was getting prohibitive in the last year or two,  and now my passport has lapsed. Will I bother to renew it or is this the end of the road ? It might well be, but it was certainly good while it lasted. 

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Paully said:

Then please don`t comment..As I said no politics..Thank you

Good news I've no intention of commenting further for the reasons I've already stated.

• Like 2

I daren't tell you my exact age, but I have been travelling overseas for 65 years since I was a teenager.  I think I clocked up 20 countries - but travel insurance was getting prohibitive in the last year or two,  and now my passport has lapsed. Will I bother to renew it or is this the end of the road ? It might well be, but it was certainly good while it lasted. 

Although only just over 70, we too are profoundly grateful that since taking early returement we decideded to 'do it while we could' and have lots of great memories and photos as a result.

• Like 3

I suspect your travels will not be over just yet - its too much fun!

In the short term you could always jet off at Easter to Planet Trump, where normality will have resumed (or not!)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, neilcvx said:

I will be on the first BF ferry to France that I can get on after this all finishes whenever that may be , read various reports of how long the virus will be around some even saying for ever similar to the cold but obviously on a more deadly scale hopefully they get a vaccine for it ASAP I suspect travel insurance will eventually level itself out again one things for sure though I will never ever set foot on a cruise ship.

Will be doing the same.  In my view once this is all over it will be like getting back on a bike again if you’ve fallen off.  Providing what is possible I fully intend to go on both Barf and Libby and draw a line under this flipping year.  Cannot wait for a vaccine!  

Edited by Khaines
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Will be doing the same.  In my view once this is all over it will be like getting back on a bike again if you’ve fallen off.  Providing what is possible I fully intend to go on both Barf and Libby and draw a line under this flipping year.  Cannot wait for a vaccine!  

Third here! Looking forward to getting on the first ferry!

As for the general future, certainly going to be different, what companies manage to survive...

• Like 2

OK you youngsters ! Here's your next Christmas cruise. When you have worked out where we went. Enjoy your planning.

IMG_0126.PNG

• Like 1

Feeling optimistic. The people who come in to cut our grass in FR are still able to work so we won't be greeted witha  jungle next time ....

• Like 2

Or one of you could buy Leander G and cruise worldwide if you have a spare €45 million - and take a crew of 28 on to your payroll.  Millbay being unusually empty when she turned up from Gibraltar today she eased in and moored up to Trinity pier, so not blocking the ferry berth.

IMG_0938.JPG

WE could all chip in and 'time-share'.  I could just about manage an afternoon per annum!  Who does own/occupy it?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, wortley said:

OK you youngsters ! Here's your next Christmas cruise. When you have worked out where we went. Enjoy your planning.

IMG_0126.PNG

Luang Say cruises up (or down) the Mekong. Very nice!

8 hours ago, veryoldbear said:

Feeling optimistic. The people who come in to cut our grass in FR are still able to work so we won't be greeted witha  jungle next time ....

I might have to get the name from you. My parents-in-law have a house near Granville and I will really need to go up there and cut the grass at some point in May at the latest. Goodness only know if that will actually be possible. 

7 hours ago, nottingham said:

WE could all chip in and 'time-share'.  I could just about manage an afternoon per annum!  Who does own/occupy it?

Put me down for the afternoon of the last Sunday in May. But she will need to be in Monaco for the weekend. 

She has just be refitted and is available for sale.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.superyachttimes.com/yacht-news/yacht-leander-g-for-sale&ved=2ahUKEwjj_JX--L7oAhUJrxoKHY4pDJ0QFjAJegQICBAI&usg=AOvVaw0abHgo3AsGzS8dWfRUHrsk

Ed

• Haha 2

Would`nt bother..she`s an old tub..only a couple of years newer than the Bretagne 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, veryoldbear said:

How bizzar! Was just checking in on BFE for updates before starting to look for someone to reinstate my lawn after the fosse install, and Veryoldbear has posted the above. Perfect.

The stuff you can find out on BFE is awsome!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Entirely understandable that your long list of insurance companies should baulk at taking on future COVID risk, but this reaction may effectively kill some of the more exotic market sectors where demonstrable travel insurance is a pre-condition to joining a cruise.  I had to provide details of my cover before I went to the Antarctic three years ago.  One other thought - many of the same companies also flog car insurance.  The historic claims rate for the UK is about £25m a (2016 data) day, so if we suppose that traffic levels have fallen by three quarters (as has been reported) then they are creaming off about £16m a day in avoided claims at the moment, so they're already £260m up and counting. Funny old world.