Hovercraft + Hoverbus to station won’t take much longer than the cat. And It appears that Hovertravel were chosen because they carry the mail and pharmaceuticals. I wonder anyway how many of the normal train commuters are key workers still allowed to travel?

I was just thinking you have mixed with people on a train. Then you get off and mix with others from another carriage when you are on the bus.

A good point, but I imagine the thinking is that there will be so few people travelling that it will be easy to maintain social distancing at all stages.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Hovercraft now only foot passenger fast service to IOW as Red Jets pulled. Ridiculous really to rely on the hovercraft as if it gets windy you lose the service and have nothing.

Not much help to poor chap who gets to work hours too early then missed RF car ferry at 6pm and has to wit til 9pm. Wightlink cut car ferries and fast cats. Therefore red funnel should cut car ferry and keep red jets going. It's all slow ferries which doesn't really help commuters.

If they cut the car ferry they wouldn’t be able to take freight across. The super markets, petrol stations, hospitals and ambulance service might have something to say about that. 

there is a ferry every 1.5 hours, the commuters can still travel, it might take a tad longer 

Hovercraft has been converted to carry stretchers with a standby crew on 24/7 that can go direct to Southampton or southsea.also in case of rough weather a chinook or coastguard helicopter are available.a lot of crossings had only  a very few passengers on them in some cases only 1.when I had treatment in Southampton hospital used to take the car ferry over..red funnel are doing car hospital returns for a car and people for about £10.60 return .it cost £8 to park your car over here for a day so looks like they have covered a lot of the problems that cancelling red jet brought about 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, adicat said:

If you have the helicopters why convert hovercraft? Don't get that.

If it is really foggy it's possible the helicopters might not be able to fly. Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy
11 hours ago, adicat said:

The helos have a lower payload than the Hovercraft, plus they are designed for battlefield/individual casevac rather than multiple stretchers accompanied by attendants.

14 hours ago, adicat said:

Helicopters are not always available ..patients that can’t be stabilised can’t go in a helicopter ...a helicopter transfer cost £6000 plus from iow to Southampton.dont know what the hovercraft would cost but a lot less I would imagine hope these answers help 

Potentially. If they copy the technique used on the French evacuation TGVS they will simply strap the stretchers across two rows of seats allowing the medical team to work standing up. Ed. 

On 16/04/2020 at 17:18, adicat said:

Not much help to poor chap who gets to work hours too early then missed RF car ferry at 6pm and has to wit til 9pm. Wightlink cut car ferries and fast cats. Therefore red funnel should cut car ferry and keep red jets going. It's all slow ferries which doesn't really help commuters.

I saw this bloke in BBC South Today. He was a firefighter in Basingstoke who lived on the IoW.

I couldn't help but wonder why he wasn't a firefighter on the IoW, or Southampton or Portsmouth? Even on a good day he's got one hell of a commute which is obviously less manageable at the moment.

It just didn't seem to make sense to me!

In the news it says we are short of firefighters on the island because of self isolating and they are doing 24 hour shifts instead of 12 hour ones so not so much moving around of people to minimise risk ..so they could do that ....

19 minutes ago, eagleeye said:

In the news it says we are short of firefighters on the island because of self isolating and they are doing 24 hour shifts instead of 12 hour ones so not so much moving around of people to minimise risk ..so they could do that ....

Yes although I kind of thought as a permanent career move as opposed to just during the pandemic.

I assume firefighters can move between brigades and stations without penalty.

3 hours ago, bekkia said:

I saw this bloke in BBC South Today. He was a firefighter in Basingstoke who lived on the IoW.

I couldn't help but wonder why he wasn't a firefighter on the IoW, or Southampton or Portsmouth? Even on a good day he's got one hell of a commute which is obviously less manageable at the moment.

It just didn't seem to make sense to me!

He may not be commuting every day - as far as I know, firefighters have a shift pattern that gives them concentrated periods on duty, followed by several days off.

2 hours ago, Hermit said:

He may not be commuting every day - as far as I know, firefighters have a shift pattern that gives them concentrated periods on duty, followed by several days off.

Outer London allowance might be worthwhile.