A Little Light Relief for These Testing Times.

Panic buying.

With yesterday evening’s announcement re lockdown over here, I got a bit concerned over my stocks of wine.  I was only at our local Co-Op Winery earlier this week, but thought that I’d better be safe than sorry.

I went in and the lady in there said “You were only here the other day”.

I explained that I was a bit concerned about whether they’d be on the list of non essential retail outlets.

”Oh no” she said.  “No chance of that - we’re food”.

• Like 2
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

oh dear, this chap may be at risk

Wonder how the Aussies will get round this one..🤣

A Change in Perception about Cruise Ships ............

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, Gardian said:

Panic buying.

With yesterday evening’s announcement re lockdown over here, I got a bit concerned over my stocks of wine.  I was only at our local Co-Op Winery earlier this week, but thought that I’d better be safe than sorry.

I went in and the lady in there said “You were only here the other day”.

I explained that I was a bit concerned about whether they’d be on the list of non essential retail outlets.

”Oh no” she said.  “No chance of that - we’re food”.

Thats what I love about the French....They always have their priorities right😍

Did my weekly shop at Super U this lunchtime, when the natives are absorbed in 3 courses, and found it a tad busier than normal, with some types of bog roll gone, but otherwise normal. Nice shoulder of lamb, some chicken breasts and chicken quarters, haddock (smoked haddock north of the ditch), fruit, veg, bread and other normal stuff, a box of 6 bottles of cheap fizz and a couple of better bottles of white for her, 2 bottles of Brewdog Indie and a 5 litre box of Super U Bordeaux for him, and home for lunch.

Just now, colin said:

Did my weekly shop at Super U this lunchtime, when the natives are absorbed in 3 courses, and found it a tad busier than normal, with some types of bog roll gone, but otherwise normal. Nice shoulder of lamb, some chicken breasts and chicken quarters, haddock (smoked haddock north of the ditch), fruit, veg, bread and other normal stuff, a box of 6 bottles of cheap fizz and a couple of better bottles of white for her, 2 bottles of Brewdog Indie and a 5 litre box of Super U Bordeaux for him, and home for lunch.

Did you forget the Ricard?🤭🤣😂🤣

1 hour ago, colin said:

Most things seems to be in stock here but no eggs. Except quail eggs and I've no idea how many of those you'd need to make a Victoria sponge. Ed. 

6 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Most things seems to be in stock here but no eggs. Except quail eggs and I've no idea how many of those you'd need to make a Victoria sponge. Ed. 

Plenty of eggs here. Cooking Eggs Creole for dinner.

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Today's trivia question:

If an American tells you that yesterday was 'hump day' what are they taking about?

Ed. 

To easy Ed, it's another American expression that come into our language, the local radio DJ uses it now.

On 29/10/2020 at 17:37, Cabin-boy said:

Today's trivia question:

If an American tells you that yesterday was 'hump day' what are they taking about?

Ed. 

A couple of us posted that we knew what it meant but nobody actually gave the answer on here.  Wednesday, it's the hump in the middle of the week it's then downhill to the weekend.

2 minutes ago, Solo said:

A couple of us posted that we knew what it meant but nobody actually gave the answer on here.  Wednesday, it's the hump in the middle of the week it's then downhill to the weekend.

Exactly. I only heard it used by an American colleague last month. Ed. 

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Exactly. I only heard it used by an American colleague last month. Ed. 

Every Country has it's strange words that need getting used to or even different interpretations of the same words.

Examples are the French Bridge day or the interpretation of next Friday,

1 minute ago, David Williams said:

Every Country has it's strange words that need getting used to or even different interpretations of the same words.

I heard that whilst we say '14 days' for two weeks, the French tend to say '15 days' for half a month

I suggest a competition. The rules are simple. Take and submit a photo of the oldest thing you own which still works and from a now defunct company or brand (in the sector from which your object originated). 

I'll kick off with this eraser from John Menzies which means it has survived at least 22 years. 

Ed

DSC_0644.JPG

• Like 1
On 02/11/2020 at 17:55, David Williams said:

When i was working, Friday was POETS day!

Edited by colinschandler
  • Haha 1