The ferry nostalgia thread

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On another theme, I promised to post my picture of BF's Goelo when I found it, and I have done so.  Apologies it is not the best quality. This picture was taken from on board Viking Victory on departu

STENA LINE used the linkspan at berths 24/25 in the Empress Dock and the linkspan at berth 30 on the Itchen Quays. The Ocean Dock is a completely different dock. Ocean Dock consists of berth

And here it is in profile (I was going to upload these the other day but I got past my upload limit). Back then, I remember thinking that Color Line felt like the most exotic thing possible

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I think he meant 'decommissioned' or 'taken out of service'. Ed 

You know better than me Ed but don't the French use the term disarmed a lot or is it the translation of the French word for decommission.

9 minutes ago, Solo said:

You know better than me Ed but don't the French use the term disarmed a lot or is it the translation of the French word for decommission.

They do and it can also mean 'dismantled' but we'll have to wait for LHCITY to confirm which is correct in this case. Ed 

23 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

They do and it can also mean 'dismantled' but we'll have to wait for LHCITY to confirm which is correct in this case. Ed 

"Désarmé" in French => retired from service 😉, not demanteled yet

Edited by LHCity
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, LHCity said:

"Désarmé" in French => retired from service 😉

Does that mean for the season or for good?  If the latter then this is a pretty monumental development....enough to bring me out of haitus.  Is this the end for the very last surviving Townsend Thoresen passenger ferry?

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I was having a bit of a clear out in the spare room yesterday and I found an old photo album belonging to an aunt of my wifes. She had a holiday home on the cliffs in Crosshaven that had a great view of Cork harbour. The small album had her pics of the Tall Ships departing Cork harbour on Saturday 20th July 1991. Amongst them was this one of Bretagne departing.spacer.png   

Edited by ccs147
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, LHCity said:

It surprised me too

One thing - this must have been before 1970.  Thoresen was trading as Townsend Thoresen by 1968.

NF began in 1967.  Could this photo have been taken before NF actually commenced service?

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, colin said:

Exactly why we like Southend airport. Walk from plane to train in no time.

Just have to hope that someone replaces what Flybe were offering.

Best hope might be for flights to and from Southampton, possibly Blue Islands or Aurigny. At least from Southampton there is a train station with good links to London. Southend has lost Easyjet and Ryanair want to operate for nothing, whilst the owners Stobart are in turmoil.

Mind you Connect, one of Flybe`s last owners, has bought the name and applied for an AOC so you never know, but don`t hold your breath on that one.

Edited by Paully
1 hour ago, colin said:

Yes, Southampton is great. Flybe reduced then dropped the route to Rennes sadly.

That was the problem with Flybe..the routes were in and out faster than the hokey cokey

• Like 1