After lockdown The new Normal

I note that the online booking form has now removed 'on foot' as an option for booking a crossing on all routes, it will be interesting (and noisy in the twittersphere)  if they cancel existing foot passengers as well and remove the transfer coaches and possibly the terminals for a few months,

• Sad 2
  • Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I reserve judgement. Boris's statement was the window dressing. Tomorrow we can peruse the official 50 page document and contemplate the small print. I will be back with my verdict in 24 hours.

I am closing this thread for 7 days to allow people to cool down.  When it re-opens, off-topic posts, and posts abusive towards other forum members, will be removed without further notice.

Me too! But once I've got my cheddar and Branston Pickle supplies organised, I promise I'll be straight back. 😉 Ed. 

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I note that the online booking form has now removed 'on foot' as an option for booking a crossing on all routes, it will be interesting (and noisy in the twittersphere)  if they cancel existing foot passengers as well and remove the transfer coaches and possibly the terminals for a few months,

Well my £50 voucher isn't going to cover a trip with my car now, is it? I got it after my BFE special promotional crossing was cancelled and that was for me and a car for 24 hours. 

8 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

What about by bike?

Whilst my holiday is cancelled in July, my booking (as a footie) is currently still live, so might find out soon...

Don't they charge about £30 extra just to take a bike? on Condor it's free. I doubt bikes will be allowed in the current environment but fingers crossed. 

Ed. 

16 minutes ago, David Williams said:

It certainly will be, but I can see the terminals and transfer coaches not fitting the requirements needed for safe passenger handling....at this moment in time. That said, I`m sure they will restore these options as soon as its safe to do so.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52632976

Many British people are unlikely to be able to take foreign holidays this summer because of the virus, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said.

In another blow to airlines and ferry firms, he told ITV's This Morning it's "likely to be the case" there won't be a normal summer holiday season.

The government is opening up parts of the economy, and Ryanair is planning to start services in July.

But Mr Hancock said the traditional big-break holiday season is unlikely.

Social distancing will have to be maintained for some time, he said. "The conclusion from that is it is unlikely that big, lavish international holidays are going to possible for this summer."

Airlines, and the travel industry generally, have been among the biggest financial losers of the international lockdown.

Aircraft fleets have been grounded and thousands of job cuts announced. British Airways is to shed 12,000 jobs. The picture is much the same overseas.

On Sunday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the government planned to introduce a 14-day quarantine for international travellers to prevent a second spike in the virus, infuriating airlines which planned to resume flying in the coming months.

Mr Hancock's comments echo those from Transport Secretary Grant Shapps last month who warned people not to book summer holidays - domestic and overseas - until social distancing rules are relaxed. "I won't be booking a summer holiday at this point," he told the BBC on 17 April.

3 hours ago, Seashore said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52632976

Many British people are unlikely to be able to take foreign holidays this summer because of the virus, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said.

In another blow to airlines and ferry firms, he told ITV's This Morning it's "likely to be the case" there won't be a normal summer holiday season.

The government is opening up parts of the economy, and Ryanair is planning to start services in July.

But Mr Hancock said the traditional big-break holiday season is unlikely.

Social distancing will have to be maintained for some time, he said. "The conclusion from that is it is unlikely that big, lavish international holidays are going to possible for this summer."

Airlines, and the travel industry generally, have been among the biggest financial losers of the international lockdown.

Aircraft fleets have been grounded and thousands of job cuts announced. British Airways is to shed 12,000 jobs. The picture is much the same overseas.

On Sunday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the government planned to introduce a 14-day quarantine for international travellers to prevent a second spike in the virus, infuriating airlines which planned to resume flying in the coming months.

Mr Hancock's comments echo those from Transport Secretary Grant Shapps last month who warned people not to book summer holidays - domestic and overseas - until social distancing rules are relaxed. "I won't be booking a summer holiday at this point," he told the BBC on 17 April.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11599855/brits-holiday-france-new-plan/

Appears to conflict?

1 hour ago, Bousquetain said:

"The conclusion from that is it is unlikely that big, lavish international holidays are going to possible for this summer."

It could well be that the opposite is true.  Cheeky weekends away won't be feasible if you have to quarantine for 14 days on arrival, and 14 days on return.  However, a "big lavish international holiday" to somewhere like the Virgin Islands (British, of course) could be structured to include quarantine time as part of the itinerary. 

• Like 1
On 11/05/2020 at 08:52, Gareth said:

Just a gentle reminder to all that this thread, in the BF Discussions forum, is meant to be about the shape of BF operations after the lockdown is lifted.  There is a thread in Open House Chatter for general discussion about the coronavirus.

27 off-topic posts have been moved to the OHC coronavirus thread.

• Thanks 1

This paragraph in the latest BF update suggests potential problems transporting cyclists and foot passengers. 

------

One challenge we’re really struggling with is the carriage of foot passengers and cyclists. Negotiating ports, particularly during embarkation and disembarkation, is a key obstacle. Our investigations into potential solutions continue.

------

Ed

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, The Ferry Man said:

But cyclists use the car lanes? What would be the issue no different to motorbikes?

Who actually 'parks' the bikes on a BF ferry? On Condor you put them in racks on Liberation yourself and on Rapide they are stacked against a barrier and then straped down. The crew don't physically touch them but some passengers touch other people's bikes to position their own. Ed. 

11 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

This paragraph in the latest BF update suggests potential problems transporting cyclists and foot passengers. 

------

One challenge we’re really struggling with is the carriage of foot passengers and cyclists. Negotiating ports, particularly during embarkation and disembarkation, is a key obstacle. Our investigations into potential solutions continue.

------

Ed

So nothing to do with making less money from Foot Passengers and Cyclists and needing to reduce the number of people on the ship then !

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, David Williams said:

So nothing to do with making less money from Foot Passengers and Cyclists and needing to reduce the number of people on the ship then !

Well, we'll soon find out. If Condor, Wightlink, DFDS, Red Funnel, and Hover Travel (!!!???) say they can no longer take foot passengers, we'll know the real reason. Ed. 

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Who actually 'parks' the bikes on a BF ferry? On Condor you put them in racks on Liberation yourself and on Rapide they are stacked against a barrier and then straped down. The crew don't physically touch them but some passengers touch other people's bikes to position their own. Ed. 

Same as Rapide, generally put bikes in a section, sometimes a compartment off the car deck. Crew will normally tie them up. Pretty sure with regards to touching, there isn;t going to be soemone following every person onboard wiping /disinfecting everything they touch, door handles, toilets etc

So no trips with BF for me in the forseeable :(

I seem to have posted a reply which has not passed oderation, and has been deleted. The essence of my comment was that I believe we need to give BF a break, be supportive of their attempts to navigate their business through a problem not of their making

2 minutes ago, GFB said:

I seem to have posted a reply which has not passed oderation, and has been deleted. The essence of my comment was that I believe we need to give BF a break, be supportive of their attempts to navigate their business through a problem not of their making

Hi GFB - I’ll PM you to let you know why the original post was not approved.

4 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

there isn;t going to be soemone following every person onboard wiping /disinfecting everything they touch, door handles, toilets etc

My wife is back to work at her school tomorrow and what you've said above is exactly what the French government's 56 page guide to 'making the educational environment safe and secure' says is needed. People I've spoken to who are back in the office are being told to wipe down any surface you touch once you have finished with it. Hairdressers and beauty salons are adding around 4€ to their prices to cover the extra costs of materials and equipment. It's a minefield!

Ed

• Like 1
Just now, Cabin-boy said:

My wife is back to work at her school tomorrow and what you've said above is exactly what the French government's 56 page guide to 'making the educational environment safe and secure' says is needed. People I've spoken to who are back in the office are being told to wipe down any surface you touch once you have finished with it. Hairdressers and beauty salons are adding around 4€ to their prices to cover the extra costs of materials and equipment. It's a minefield!

Ed

Makes sense - BF's going to need a lot of extra crew though! How do you get from the car deck to the pax decks without everyone holdign on to the stair railings!

Just now, The Ferry Man said:

Makes sense - BF's going to need a lot of extra crew though! How do you get from the car deck to the pax decks without everyone holdign on to the stair railings!

Springboards and giant trampolines?

Ed

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Ejector seat? ;)

On a serious note, you can't - but you can mitigate it by cleaning the handrails every few minutes during boarding, having crew with hand sanitiser on standby and reminding passengers to wash their hands at the earliest opportunity.

I like your thinking!

But, looking at the average crossing, and assuming you can treat a car as a household unit:

Person will:

Go up the stairs to pax deck, touching railings, doors;

Nice crossing? Go out on deck, touch door handles, railings

Visits shop, touches items in shop

Has something to eat touchs cutlary, trays, etc.

SIts in bar/lounge

Goes to bathroom

Back to car

That is a lot of things to clean...

7 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

I like your thinking!

But, looking at the average crossing, and assuming you can treat a car as a household unit:

Person will:

Go up the stairs to pax deck, touching railings, doors;

Nice crossing? Go out on deck, touch door handles, railings

Visits shop, touches items in shop

Has something to eat touchs cutlary, trays, etc.

SIts in bar/lounge

Goes to bathroom

Back to car

That is a lot of things to clean...

Indeed - but you can also ensure everyone is funnelled towards certain stairs so it's easier to control. It would only take someone a a short amount of time to clean handrails for car deck access every 5-10 minutes or so during boarding.

Not environmentally friendly but you can switch to disposable tableware etc.

It remains to be seen what level of onboard service there is when things start to open up. Dare I say it, perhaps a three course sit down in Le Flora may be off the cards (pretty sure the buffet will be). I suspect we're going to see things geared much more towards being a functional way of ferrying people from A to B than the premium experience we've had in the past - certainly for the time being.

But, much reliance and participation is also going to be needed from passengers to also ensure they're taking sensible precautions themselves. 

I don't think you can ever entirely remove a risk, but you can do as much as you can to mitigate it.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jim said:

Indeed - but you can also ensure everyone is funnelled towards certain stairs so it's easier to control. It would only take someone a a short amount of time to clean handrails for car deck access every 5-10 minutes or so during boarding.

Not environmentally friendly but you can switch to disposable tableware etc.

It remains to be seen what level of onboard service there is when things start to open up. Dare I say it, perhaps a three course sit down in Le Flora may be off the cards (pretty sure the buffet will be). I suspect we're going to see things geared much more towards being a functional way of ferrying people from A to B than the premium experience we've had in the past.

But, much reliance and participation is also going to be needed from passengers to also ensure they're taking sensible precautions themselves. 

I don't think you can ever entirely remove a risk, but you can do as much as you can to mitigate it.

Every buffet and self-service option is going to be a nightmare. That was the system at the hotel we used in Mallorca back in October and nobody thought twice about handing the tongs to the next person wanting a slice of cheese or pizza. All-inclusive package holidays may disappear totally for a while as there is no way they can make money with a menu-based catering option. And that's not to mention the drinks dispensers, ice-cream fridges and vending machines. Ed

TUI have already said today they're 'reinventing' the holiday, it remains to be seen what that actually means.

My other concern, well, more of an observation, is that I think it will take a lot of time before people are comfortable moving back to the 'old ways' - taking the buffet example, even once things go back to being as safe as they ever were, who won't feel comfortable dining at one?

We've seen the use of facemasks being pretty common in public places across the world prior to the Corona Crisis - maybe that will become more normal here. I previously held the mistaken view that in Japan, for example, the use of a facemask by someone was because of suspicions of the health and hygiene others - where as it's overwhelmingly done because someone doesn't want to pass on whatever they may be carrying.

• Like 1

I regard buffets with the same contempt as I do for the Lidl bakery ever since a young lad about 7 years old ran into the store in front of me howking at his bum hands down pants pulled his hand out and poked every single bread roll, anyway could BF not completely rearrange the onboard restaurants and put booths in lots of extra space with no buffet to accommodate and most of the restaurants could do with a refit anyway.

• Gareth locked this topic