After lockdown The new Normal

Going back to being on a cruise ship with a norovirus outbreak, the buffet still ran but with the counters protected and the food served by the staff behind them. But the physical set up allowed for that, as did the 1 crew to 3 passenger ratio to allow for having 30 odd crew manning the various food stations to serve.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I reserve judgement. Boris's statement was the window dressing. Tomorrow we can peruse the official 50 page document and contemplate the small print. I will be back with my verdict in 24 hours.

I am closing this thread for 7 days to allow people to cool down.  When it re-opens, off-topic posts, and posts abusive towards other forum members, will be removed without further notice.

Me too! But once I've got my cheddar and Branston Pickle supplies organised, I promise I'll be straight back. 😉 Ed. 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Jim said:

Going back to being on a cruise ship with a norovirus outbreak, the buffet still ran but with the counters protected and the food served by the staff behind them. But the physical set up allowed for that, as did the 1 crew to 3 passenger ratio to allow for having 30 odd crew manning the various food stations to serve.

That's certainly a solution if the space and manpower will allow it, and the option one of the local factories I visit has adopted now, albeit with a much reduced choice of meals.

Our Mallorcan hotel had rooms that were like mini-flats with fridges, hot-plates and basic cutlery and crockery. We could also eat on our patios if we wanted, but obviously nobody did. They could certainly transform the exisiting buffet into a 'takeaway' service until better solutions are found even if they have to suspend some of the other guest services. In the meantime 'appart-hotels' and self-catering are going to be in big demand everywhere.

Ed

39 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I think that we will find a desire for a lot of single use plastic to cover things.

There are at least a myriad of more sustainable options these days

1 hour ago, Jim said:

It remains to be seen what level of onboard service there is when things start to open up. Dare I say it, perhaps a three course sit down in Le Flora may be off the cards (pretty sure the buffet will be). I suspect we're going to see things geared much more towards being a functional way of ferrying people from A to B than the premium experience we've had in the past - certainly for the time being.

Wouldn't having everybody sat down and food brought to them be better than everybody going to the self service, obviously the buffet would be out.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Solo said:

Wouldn't having everybody sat down and food brought to them be better than everybody going to the self service, obviously the buffet would be out.

Quite possibly - or you use both restaurants (where available) as dining spaces but with one menu that can be served quickly for simplicity given they generally share the same kitchen. We'll have to wait to see what happens - but there are lots of potentials.

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Every buffet and self-service option is going to be a nightmare. That was the system at the hotel we used in Mallorca back in October and nobody thought twice about handing the tongs to the next person wanting a slice of cheese or pizza. All-inclusive package holidays may disappear totally for a while as there is no way they can make money with a menu-based catering option. And that's not to mention the drinks dispensers, ice-cream fridges and vending machines. Ed

It's why I think the buffets will go and they'll offer set menu's which will be served to you and the self service will become counter service, they'll also do away with the hot drinks machines.

You can still have a bottle of wine as I'm sure any table service will see staff in gloved hands and you can always use one of the big white napkins around the bottle when pouring.

As for cyclists if they book a cabin, which I believe all passengers will need to, I don't see a problem, half of them will be wearing gloves initially when climbing stairs on entry and once onboard will be no different to vehicle pax. I wonder if the issue is self distancing when parking the bike on board or returning to it on arrival? I can't see the the more day configured ships having their reserved seating open. A maximum 774 passengers onboard MSM will offer lots of space.

The vehicle traffic will need to use separate stair cases for different levels as well as W/T access doors. Eh there's a thought, no more cramming themselves into the reception area half an hour before arrival now... as if it made any difference anyway.

6 minutes ago, jonno said:

As for cyclists if they book a cabin, which I believe all passengers will need to, I don't see a problem, half of them will be wearing gloves initially when climbing stairs on entry and once onboard will be no different to vehicle pax. I wonder if the issue is self distancing when parking the bike on board or returning to it on arrival?

Not to sound too cynical but maybe this pandemic gives ferry operators like BF an ideal pretext to get rid of footies and cyclists? Profit from these passenger segments just might not be lucrative enough. 

30 minutes ago, zuludelta said:

Not to sound too cynical but maybe this pandemic gives ferry operators like BF an ideal pretext to get rid of footies and cyclists? Profit from these passenger segments just might not be lucrative enough. 

It would be a great shame and a big step in the wrong direction in a time where sustainable transport should be prioritised. Last June on boarding the Bretange in St. Malo on the return sailing to Portsmouth the bus drove up to the boarding gate only to be told to get back on the bus which  then reversed for foot passengers to board the ship via the car ramp. So much for the foot passenger infastructure....

I don’t know why they don’t do away with port buses where they can.  Ludicrous at Poole to use one anyway, it is only a very short distance to boarding.  So they could erect a marquee type corridor from terminal to ship - Libby as well come to think of it.  Once you are all on board what difference is there between footies, cyclist and drivers?  

As daft it as may seem sometimes I suspect that the need to use a bus is based around compliance with port security regulations/certification and health and safety.

Airports suffer from a similar issue where bus gates frequently involve bussing passengers 50 feet.

• Like 1

The freight information page has a couple of glimpses into the new normal, however it does imply that we may be able stay in cabins until arrival !

 Use of cabins on board. In order to respect distancing requirements, we have been providing one cabin per truck since the start of the lockdown. To ensure the safety of our cleaning staff, drivers are asked to place any used bedding and towels in the bag provided and leave this outside the cabin door on arrival

On 07 May 2020 : In order to comply with evolving advice and regulation, with effect from Friday 8 May, Brittany Ferries has made the wearing of  face masks by freight drivers compulsory on all of its services. This regulation will apply from arrival in the port area, to departure from the port of destination, with the only exception being when the driver is inside their cabin on board the ship. We thank you for your co-operation and understanding whilst we strive to offer the maximum level of protection to drivers and to our colleagues on board and ashore

Freight information is https://www.brittanyferriesfreight.co.uk/information/coronavirus, which also links to https://www.brittanyferriesfreight.co.uk/media/pdf/h/4/COVID-19-information-280420.pdf

• Like 1

Another insight into the new normal may be found from Irish Ferries which has continued to take passengers between Cherbourg and Dublin and it's UK/Ireland routes. .

The below quotes are from the IF website, the main highlights are:

1. Cinemas, bars, lounges closed.
  2. Face masks in the Cherbourg port area.
  3. Documentary evidence of essential travel.

"The master of the ship announces our policy of social distancing at the onset of all sailings.  To facilitate social distancing, onboard cinemas, bars and Club Class lounge services have been closed.    We are following all published advice and guidance, including, for example, increasing the frequency of our onboard cleaning routines, giving special attention to common touch points. We are displaying HSE notices regarding COVID-19 and making hand sanitiser dispensers available. Ventilation and air conditioning systems on board our ships use 100% fresh air."

"Travellers arriving into France will need to complete a form detailing their justification for travel, supported by relevant documentation. This need to be presented for verification at check-in in Dublin Port. These documents are likely to be inspected on arrival in Cherbourg and when in transit in France, so there may be associated delays on disembarkation at Cherbourg. If travelling for professional/business reasons, an additional form needs to be completed by the employer."

"French Authorities now require passengers to wear a face mask / face covering when moving around the port area at Cherbourg. This does not have to be a medical mask. Please have a face mask / face covering with you when travelling."

How many travellers will cross during the day without booking a cabin? I know many CV travellers who don't bother with day cabins from France and some of them are free. It will now be compulsory for them to have one... and you'll still need to strip the beds and bag the towels whether you use them or not.

All of that will change.

You then have to consider the cabin provision aboard Barfleur and how those passengers who would usually prefer to travel on NEX will be accommodated

As @David Williamspost highlights the freight drivers aren't sharing cabins which means there needs to be more provision for them too.

27 minutes ago, jonno said:

and how those passengers who would usually prefer to travel on NEX will be accommodated

Last time I looked they were still booking cars into NEX, I would have thought that by blocking every other row and forcing gaps between families they would get away with a decent percentage of the capacity - it is currently 835 passengers and 235 cars. By removing foot passengers they could probably get at least 120 cars on board with associated passengers. They could follow Ryanair and make passengers ask permission to go to the toilet !

I originally thought that BF would end up removing a number of the ships from service this year, however if France and Spain do become open for visitors it makes more sense in running all ships (including NEX) with reduced capacity and reduced staff levels.

10 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Last time I looked they were still booking cars into NEX, I would have thought that by blocking every other row and forcing gaps between families they would get away with a decent percentage of the capacity - it is currently 835 passengers and 235 cars. By removing foot passengers they could probably get at least 120 cars on board with associated passengers. They could follow Ryanair and make passengers ask permission to go to the toilet !

Would travellers be that desperate to bounce across the channel in their own vehicle enclosed in a metal box with poor ventilation and no permanent air filtration? I wouldn't, certainly for the money they charge. Without any heavy vehicles she can carry nearly 270 cars, bumper to bumper on two levels with limited head height. It'll be like a SERCO prison van.

I suppose it's difficult not to fall into the trap of looking at it during the level we're at now. When the time comes the restrictions will be less to begin with and there's good air circulation in the seating areas so who knows but there had been increasing speculation that NEX wouldn't sail at all this year but if BF are still excepting bookings that's clearly not the case.

NEX is a difficult one, her profit is due to passenger volume as her fuel consumption is frightening, it's why her standard tanks hold about 200,000 litres, she's also fitted with long range tanks which hold a further 400,000.

• Like 1

I suppose NEx will end up being balancing between will she lose more money tied up in Le Havre doing nothing or in service with an uneconimcal service.

One positive with that is with fuel prices being reasonablly low at the moment it might help tip the balance

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Millsy said:

The cabin prices were one of the main reasons we stopped using BF so much. 

With Club Voyage a day cabin returning from France is free. I can't remember how much Bretagne's commodore's are on a day sailing but I'm sure they're less than £90 but at twice that for an overnighter, they are pricey.. The commodore's on the day sailings to Ouistreham & back are £67.

Looking at the BF site all of the reserved seating is quoted now as being sold out and you can't get a crossing on Bretagne from Portsmouth in July.

7 minutes ago, jonno said:

With Club Voyage a day cabin returning from France is free. I can't remember how much Bretagne's commodore's are on a day sailing but I'm sure they're less than £90 but at twice that for an overnighter, they are pricey.. The commodore's on the day sailings to Ouistreham & back are £67.

Looking at the BF site all of the reserved seating is quoted now as being sold out and you can't get a crossing on Bretagne from Portsmouth in July.

I would assume that the reserved seating is shown as sold out is because they are not selling them.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Like to expand on your experiences ?

In 1972, a crack commando was sent to prison by a military court for a crime he didn't commit. This man promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Harrogate underground. Today, still wanted by the government he survives as a soldier of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him....

Ed

• Like 1
  • Gareth locked this topic