Redwards

After lockdown The new Normal

19 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Spotted this.  Police checking if ferry travel is essential. 

Coronavirus: Police help tackle non-essential travel on CalMac ferries https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-52661559

There are two aspects to this I suspect. One is the prevention of non-essential travel and the other is that the islands have minimal medical facilities so it is essential to minimise the number of cases of the virus. The nearest major hospital to the Outer Hebrides is in Inverness.

• Like 2

The SNCF is due to open sales for tickets in July and August tomorrow. Ed. 

I have posted the latest news from French government in the corona virus thread. 2nd June opening for restaurants.... and go ahead and book summer holidays, just stay within France.

5 hours ago, David Williams said:

I originally thought that BF would end up removing a number of the ships from service this year, however if France and Spain do become open for visitors it makes more sense in running all ships (including NEX) with reduced capacity and reduced staff levels.

NEX ain't going anywhere this year. They have hemorrhaged enough money already! :D I seriously doubt the 3-month odd season ever does anything much more than barely cover her extortionate fuel and winter care bill... and she messes up things when it comes to the staff too. (they can't sleep onboard when serving on her remember).
They'd do well to flog her really but I doubt anyone would be interested.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

NEX ain't going anywhere this year. They have hemorrhaged enough money already! :D I seriously doubt the 3-month odd season ever does anything much more than barely cover her extortionate fuel and winter care bill... and she messes up things when it comes to the staff too. (they can't sleep onboard when serving on her remember).
They'd do well to flog her really but I doubt anyone would be interested.

Fair comment, I based my thoughts on the fact that if France is open, they will need all the capacity that they can get. BF have reduced availability on all sailings but continue to sell new tickets for the NEX, if the plan was to stop using it I would have thought that the tickets would be removed from sale.

23 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Fair comment, I based my thoughts on the fact that if France is open, they will need all the capacity that they can get. BF have reduced availability on all sailings but continue to sell new tickets for the NEX, if the plan was to stop using it I would have thought that the tickets would be removed from sale.

Maybe they're still wrestling with any ideas to make it functional using her?

If Spain was to look too unattractive to many travellers, they could of course just run with the Cap & Pont and leave Connemara on the Portsmouth-Cherbourg route until November?

Or might they do something even more radical and bring in yet another charter more appropriate to use, Stena Nova perhaps? Bonkers I know but stranger things have happened. They'll need something as 143,000 passengers during NEx's running is not, I imagine, something they will choose or afford to ignore.

As I mentioned earlier, it's next to impossible to find space on a sailing to St Malo during July, both MSM & Normandie are looking increasingly likely to only be offering their 774 & 775 berths and Barfleur only has 20 cabins  so as said something will need to function.

8 minutes ago, jonno said:

Maybe they're still wrestling with any ideas to make it functional using her?

If Spain was to look too unattractive to many travellers, they could of course just run with the Cap & Pont and leave Connemara on the Portsmouth-Cherbourg route until November?

Or might they do something even more radical and bring in yet another charter more appropriate to use, Stena Nova perhaps? Bonkers I know but stranger things have happened. They'll need something as 143,000 passengers during NEx's running is not, I imagine, something they will choose or afford to ignore.

As I mentioned earlier, it's next to impossible to find space on a sailing to St Malo during July, both MSM & Normandie are looking increasingly likely to only be offering their 774 & 775 berths and Barfleur only has 20 cabins  so as said something will need to function.

Gareth's Cherbourg Shuttle is starting to look like a good idea.

Ed. 

Posted (edited)

This Tweet from BF appears to clarifies the situation regarding foot-passengers.

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1

Final payment for my (essentially cancelled) July trip comes out in 10 days... Not sure what exactly to do!

8 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Final payment for my (essentially cancelled) July trip comes out in 10 days... Not sure what exactly to do!

Well, they are not accepting new foot passengers but may perhaps still honour exisiting bookings. If not they are going to have a lot of unhappy customers.

Every time I park at Cherbourg ferry terminal I'm always struck by the number of UK-registered cars parked there, often for long periods of time judging by the state of the paintwork and windows. I guess that many people with second homes in the region cross on foot from Poole or Portsmouth to save money and keep cars on each side. If they can't now actually get to their houses that's not going to be popular.

Ed

I just tried a dummy booking with DFDS from Dieppe to Newhaven in mid-July. They seem to be allowing foot passengers to book but insist on me getting a cabin. Strangely they are also still offering the option of bunk in a shared cabin for a cheaper price!!!!

Ed

44 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I just tried a dummy booking with DFDS from Dieppe to Newhaven in mid-July. They seem to be allowing foot passengers to book but insist on me getting a cabin. Strangely they are also still offering the option of bunk in a shared cabin for a cheaper price!!!!

Ed

Sounds like DFDS are experimenting with a herd immunity policy. Catch the virus in a shared cabin. Then by the time their passengers are strong enough to make the return journey, they will have already  experienced the illness and will be immune. Ingenious Scandinavian logic😄

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, David Williams said:

Why would they reduce the cash flow. If they cancel they will just issue a voucher :( 

BF appear to have put a new slogan on their Twitter feed (or I might simply not have noticed it before). 

It is:

Stormy seas will pass,

beautiful horizons await

Ed. 

1080x360.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Well, they are not accepting new foot passengers but may perhaps still honour exisiting bookings. If not they are going to have a lot of unhappy customers.

Every time I park at Cherbourg ferry terminal I'm always struck by the number of UK-registered cars parked there, often for long periods of time judging by the state of the paintwork and windows. I guess that many people with second homes in the region cross on foot from Poole or Portsmouth to save money and keep cars on each side. If they can't now actually get to their houses that's not going to be popular.

Ed

My issue would also be I have a recliner for the overnight trip - so two issues for me.

But since my holiday reason has been cancelled anyway, I'm just leaving it to see what happens.

10 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

Use the contact form on the B/F website and ask about your options under what they are calling Enhanced Flexibility. The company can give you better advice than most of us can. Good luck with it.

• Thanks 1

In theory my next trip is in six weeks time. Who knows what might happen by then? I reckon it's 50/50 at the moment, and may have to move it along a bit nearer the time. Contingency a) if the borders are still shut, renegotiate or b) if borders open and BF not running passengers, renegotiate and go the long way round via the drain. Simples.

1 hour ago, wortley said:

Use the contact form on the B/F website and ask about your options under what they are calling Enhanced Flexibility. The company can give you better advice than most of us can. Good luck with it.

I believe that 'Enhanced flexibility' is the option to move an uncancelled booking onto a credit note,

"Barfleur only has 20 cabins", another underestimate of the old girl's abilities!

I count 50+ on the Brittany Ferries handout.

10 minutes ago, westy said:

"Barfleur only has 20 cabins", another underestimate of the old girl's abilities!

I count 50+ on the Brittany Ferries handout.

Westy we're both out by quite a bit, me even more so. She has 72...Happy days!

Good old Barfy... keep going girl, you'll out live all of them!

This is from the BBC website. Presumably it's a precursor for other countries. Ed

Germany to relax quarantine for EU and UK arrivals

Germany will ease quarantine rules for visitors arriving from the EU and the UK, the interior ministry says.

On Wednesday it began to open some border crossings with Austria, France and Switzerland. The country said it is aiming for "free travel" in the EU by June.

And yet, according to an article in the Daily Mail (so I don't know how accurate it actually is), the decision to exclude France from the quarantine period has now been reversed.

10 minutes ago, Paul said:

And yet, according to an article in the Daily Mail (so I don't know how accurate it actually is), the decision to exclude France from the quarantine period has now been reversed.

That is quoted in a few papers, however the Government seems to be postponing the announcement to next week so we will see what is finally agreed, discussions appear to be still ongoing.

19 hours ago, David Williams said:

Perhaps at the moment updates are pending because they are reacting almost daily, like the rest of us. 

Going forward I can't help thinking that NEX may have a better place in the post-COVID Condor fleet, rather than BF's own directly... and an a much easier option now:)