Redwards

After lockdown The new Normal

35 minutes ago, Khaines said:

That is a private group, you would only see it on your newsfeed if you are are a member.  It would probably not be suggested you would actively have to look for it.  I have just put it in Facebook’s search box and it comes up.  No I didn’t join, but suppose anyone who wants to just to lurk and see who else is on there...😉   You can only see who is in the group by joining!!

It came up on my recommended groups to join I did not search for it , you would only see posts from it and who is a member if you joined , my taste is quite varied as you can see.

CF06D0FE-180F-46FC-AE87-FF4F24248CB0.thumb.png.accd5cfd455b4bd03442da54fffed4fd.png

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Looks like there are two groups, Neil, the two screenshots on this thread have different names.  Probably the same people on both though!  I have not seen either.  Will keep an eye open though. Won’t join though, I have had enough of wibbling groups on politics, I left a load of them as they were all saying the same things across about a zillion groups.   

Edited by Khaines

The slow cooker recipe group looks quite active,

This reminds of some complaints that I have seen in other forums that include advertising when someone complains of the inappropriate adverts being shown and the response normally points out that the adverts are linked to browsing history !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, David Williams said:

The slow cooker recipe group looks quite active,

This reminds of some complaints that I have seen in other forums that include advertising when someone complains of the inappropriate adverts being shown and the response normally points out that the adverts are linked to browsing history !

I’m sure there’s an MP and Thai lady boys story there but I’m sure the”ladyboys of Bangkok” wont be appearing onboard post Covid . 

Edited by neilcvx

5 hours ago, David Williams said:

There are some that seem to delight in criticising others for being too negative,  please can we stop this abuse of fellow forum members & accept that all opinions are valid, even those one doesn't agree with - that is what leads to a positive debate.

Sorry David I don't agree, with a subject as serious a COVID, opinion is dangerous if it's not or can't be backed up by scientifically based evidence from proven and historically responsible sources. Twitter, Facebook, media etc etc are not the places to find facts. They're either click bait or manipulated for political or monetary gain. We all know the damage Whatsapp has caused.

There was a supposedly genuine ITV piece on Youtube last night about a second wave of infection which was false and we have the idiot from Ryanair telling thousands over the airways that facemasks cut down infection by 98.5%... even those he's supposedly received the information from have publicly said he's wrong. Believe it or not there are those out there who'll think he's telling the truth and not just wanting to fill aircraft.

I'll get my information from PHA, SAGE, Health protection reports and national weekly surveillance reports, data which is factual and based on current evidence. I won't really say much about the R rate as it's usually 3 weeks old when published and can't be collated any quicker due to the sheer volume of numbers. 

...and as for being told I'm political, I'm probably one of the least political on here and have never listened to a politician in my life, my ethos is if his or her mouth is moving they're lying. 

The lockdown has to come to an end, simple fact of life, or what we learn about this virus will be very limited. We need to know why it doesn't effect young school children, we need to know how it behaves during the summer months in the Northern Hemisphere just as now there those keeping a watchful eye on the onset of winter in the southern hemisphere. We won't get a viable, stable, long term vaccine without it and is why successful vaccines take years not months regardless of how much money you throw at it... If we get a vaccine at all.

This is the first time in human history a pandemic hasn't run it's natural course, it's been suppressed at every turn and that puts the scientists we are relying on in a very hamstrung position.

I have weird and wonderful opinions about lots of things, I've currently spent the last couple of evenings peer reviewing a study on dynamic inversion, why It was sent to me after so long I have no idea, been out of that game a while now. 

For me and for what it's worth, you're response about BF vouchers wasn't opinion, it was a response borne from a factual experience and valid. 

As I said, Covid, not me, I won't talk opinions, it's too serious a subject so I'm very,very careful what I post and I make sure it can be backed up first by current scientific data, data which isn't hidden from anyone.

My health is my responsibility alone, not the NHS, not HMG and not that of my wife-she has far more important stuff to do- and what time I have left is precious so I'm going to make damn sure that the information I have is factual and not someone's opinion.

• Like 4

Mr Mathieu seems to have pressed copy/paste twice for today's update (copied below). Perhaps it's to check we are paying attention. Ed

Gathering Momentum and Improving Service Levels, a message from our CEO

As the global pandemic continues, I’m using these pages to connect with you directly and give some insight into how we’re planning our future.

Perhaps it’s the prevailing sunshine and good weather, perhaps it’s the result of being locked down but we’re certainly hearing from more of you about holiday prospects for 2020 and beyond. Many industry analysts too are asking key questions to try and understand what may be possible in the coming weeks and months.

It’s clear each country is evolving their message on this topic daily. In Portugal, beaches are expected to be fully open imminently and lockdown there has eased considerably. Parts of Spain too are gearing up for summer holiday traffic. Likewise in France, lockdown is easing. I believe this is an encouraging sign for the many thousands of you still keen to take a holiday this year. We can’t wait to get back up and running and welcome many of you on board for a well-earned break.

I’ve spoken a few times on these pages about the length of time it’s taking to complete refund requests and the uptake on our Enhanced Flexibility offer. Please do follow the due process and complete the appropriate contact forms here. I’m pleased to confirm that service levels are improving daily and I expect the curve to continue moving in a positive direction into next week. We’re trying to be very clear about what to expect in terms of all response times and I’m sorry for the frustration they have caused some of you. These are unparalleled times and the demand on our services is exceptional. Again, I’m afraid I cannot answer personal emails at this time; all customer correspondence must be directed via the appropriate contact form at the moment.

Moving to our ships, planning for a resumption of passenger services continues apace. There are difficult decisions to make to ensure those services comply with WHO guidelines and our own safety protocols. Passenger numbers will have to be considerably limited and several on board services will be subject to change to ensure they are safe but still enjoyable.

Momentum for a resumption of travel plans and holidays is certainly building. And our backlogs are declining. It’s small steps for now, but I believe things are looking decidedly brighter. 

Perhaps it’s the prevailing sunshine and good weather, perhaps it’s the result of being locked down but we’re certainly hearing from more of you about holiday prospects for 2020 and beyond. Many industry analysts too are asking key questions to try and understand what may be possible in the coming weeks and months.

It’s clear each country is evolving their message on this topic daily. In Portugal, beaches are expected to be fully open imminently and lockdown there has eased considerably. Parts of Spain too are gearing up for Summer holiday traffic. Likewise in France, lockdown is easing. I believe this is an encouraging sign for the many thousands of you still keen to take a holiday this year. We can’t wait to get back up and running and welcome many of you on board for a well-earned break.

I’ve spoken a few times on these pages about the length of time it’s taking to complete refund requests and the uptake on our Enhanced Flexibility offer. Please do follow the due process and complete the appropriate contact forms here. I’m pleased to confirm the service levels are improving daily and I expect that curve to continue moving into next week. We’re trying to be very clear about what to expect in terms of all response times and I’m sorry for the frustration they have caused some of you. These are unparalleled times and the demand on our services exceptional. Again, I’m afraid I cannot answer personal emails at this time; all customer correspondence must be directed to the appropriate contact form at the moment.

Moving to our ships, planning for a resumption of passenger services continues apace. There are difficult decisions to make to ensure those services comply with WHO guidelines and our own safety protocols. Passenger numbers will have to be considerably limited and several on board services will be subject to change to ensure they are safe but still enjoyable.

Momentum for a resumption of travel plans and holidays is building, our backlogs are declining, things are looking decidedly brighter. 

Christophe Mathieu

CEO Brittany Ferries

Last updated: 20 May 2020

It would appear that some people pick and choose the facts that they want to believe no matter where they come from and lecture others as to why they are correct and no one else is, anyway 

@Cabin-boy that statement from Mr Mathieu was very optimistic I would like to share his optimism , I’ve got my voucher for next years travel everything will be a lot clearer then , will be interesting to see what the prices are like compared to this year.

• Like 2

I look forward to the publication of the new rules. I note that they keep on repeating the comment about reduced capacity, this is likely to lead to some reservations being cancelled which will not be easy. 

• Like 3

I note that the messagefrom the CEO of Brittany Ferries, dated 20 May 2020, states that, "passenger numbers will have to be considerably limited and several on board sevices will be subject to change to ensure they are safe but still enjoyable." In light of this, I have the following questions:

1. In the event of a sailing being oversubscibed, what are the criteria for deciding which passengers will sail.

2How much notice will we get if our place on a sailing is not available.

If a saiing on which we are booked is cancelled/oversubscribed, will we get a refund or voucher.

May I add that I have enough vouchers to wallpaper a house.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, neilcvx said:

t would appear that some people pick and choose the facts that they want to believe no matter where they come from and lecture others as to why they are correct and no one else is, anyway 

As some news paper editors would say , don't let the facts get in the way of a good story .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chef said:

As some news paper editors would say , don't let the facts get in the way of a good story .

Facts may be colored by the personalities of the people who present them.      

Reginald Rose

19 minutes ago, pastiche said:

I note that the messagefrom the CEO of Brittany Ferries, dated 20 May 2020, states that, "passenger numbers will have to be considerably limited and several on board sevices will be subject to change to ensure they are safe but still enjoyable." In light of this, I have the following questions:

1. In the event of a sailing being oversubscibed, what are the criteria for deciding which passengers will sail.

If a saiing on which we are booked is cancelled/oversubscribed, will we get a refund or voucher.

Better asking customer services 😉

Just now, neilcvx said:

Facts may be colored by the personalities of the people who present them.      

Reginald Rose

Better asking customer services 😉

Your avin a laugh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think I will respond to Jonno's latest in the morning. 26 degrees, a couple of Ricard's and BBQ almost ready. But respond I will, because no one should impose their opinion here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, pastiche said:

For question 1 the hints coming out are that it's foot passengers which will be bumped but that's obviously subject to confirmation. 

As for question 2 that will depend on when your sailing is due to take place. If they are allowed to resume mid-June but that is only confirmed on the 2nd and your trip is the 16th then you'll get a fortnight's notice. 

As for the third question I guess it depends on whether you can find a suitable alternative crossing that is less 'busy'. If not and your only alternative is the tunnel then a refund would seem the only logical solution. 

Ed

3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

For question 1 the hints coming out are that it's foot passengers which will be bumped but that's obviously subject to confirmation. 

As for question 2 that will depend on when your sailing is due to take place. If they are allowed to resume mid-June but that is only confirmed on the 2nd and your trip is the 16th then you'll get a fortnight's notice. 

As for the third question I guess it depends on whether you can find a suitable alternative crossing that is less 'busy'. If not and your only alternative is the tunnel then a refund would seem the only logical solution. 

Ed

Thanks Cabin-boy, you beat Colin for the answers

1 minute ago, colin said:

I think I will respond to Jonno's latest in the morning. 26 degrees, a couple of Ricard's and BBQ almost ready. But respond I will, because no one should impose their opinion here.

Oh come on your not an army general a war! Comments along the lines of 'I'm going to stew over this and reply in the morning' or a little over the top.

I don't think anything Jonno has said has been out of order. And he has not imposed any views he has just expressed them. Huge difference.

I don't know Jonno but in my opinion he is one of the best, most knowledgeable contributors to the forum. He actually helped me massively in planning my unforgettable trip to the Baltic's in the winter.

These are tough times but some of us need to not get too carried away.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am closing this thread for 7 days to allow people to cool down.  When it re-opens, off-topic posts, and posts abusive towards other forum members, will be removed without further notice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2