Priority booking for 2021

It may be the case that normal service does not resume until after September 2020. When this does resume do you think that those people who have had sailings cancelled for 2020 should be given priority booking for 2021. Perhaps we could have the opportunity to book one week prior to the opening of bookings for everyone else. I am just interested in peoples opinions.

John

• Like 1

Nice idea John.  I will have a stock of vouchers by September! Can't imagine they would do it though. It won't make sense for BF to restrict anyone trying to book.

Interestingly, by September most people will have had lots of restrictions placed on their everyday life by then. Would another "priority" be a good idea?

I'm 76 years old and my wife has a mobility problem. We are both in good health, so we rightly don't qualify as any sort of "case" to get any sort of priority anywhere. But its been a a real struggle to get home grocery deliveries, phone line repaired etc. It seems that every service doesn't have my email address or postcode notified by our GP!

We won't be seen as a special case for booking if that's what you mean.

Best

Stu

• Like 1

It’s a nice idea but don’t think it will happen. Brittany Ferries will be after a top up of their bank account, I’d imagine that BF are going to be looking for customers to be paying for new holidays and those with credit notes already have their money in BF’s bank account. I’d say if you’ve got a credit note, act fast anyway when the tide turns the otherway.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, John M said:

It may be the case that normal service does not resume until after September 2020. When this does resume do you think that those people who have had sailings cancelled for 2020 should be given priority booking for 2021. Perhaps we could have the opportunity to book one week prior to the opening of bookings for everyone else. I am just interested in peoples opinions.

John

Interesting suggestion - though I would wonder if the admin overhead of implementing and managing this would actually be worth it given it's not going to be attracting any 'new' money.  For many people they don't plan their travel that far in advance either so it may not be of much use. 

There's also the argument that for those with credit notes it is in their interest to use them so if their first choice isn't available they'll need to find an alternative.

There might be an argument for those who want a specific cabin type (with a dog for example) to use the vouchers now for a booking as late as possible in the current timetable period and then immediately transfer that to next year once the new timetables are released. I believe someone said that if the booking engine is swamped it's still possible to use the 'amend my booking' option relatively easily. Ed  

8 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

There might be an argument for those who want a specific cabin type (with a dog for example) to use the vouchers now for a booking as late as possible in the current timetable period and then immediately transfer that to next year once the new timetables are released. I believe someone said that if the booking engine is swamped it's still possible to use the 'amend my booking' option relatively easily. Ed  

Holiday bookings are an exemption to the 'amend my booking' facility. On a side note, I would be intrigued to know as BF are holding what we paid for a holiday as a voucher if any of our held funds are being used to support the property owners. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Jim said:

Holiday bookings are an exemption to the 'amend my booking' facility. On a side note, I would be intrigued to know as BF are holding what we paid for a holiday as a voucher if any of our held funds are being used to support the property owners. 

We probably will never know but they are holding on to the cash and seemingly not bothered about the bad customer reviews they are getting so I would doubt they would be over concerned about suppliers. I would like to make it clear I have no real problem personally with vouchers so not having a personnel dig. I just think that some people really need this cash and BF not communicating does not help 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Jim said:

On a side note, I would be intrigued to know as BF are holding what we paid for a holiday as a voucher if any of our held funds are being used to support the property owners. 

Not according to our friends in Novelle Aquitaine but worth asking them if anything has changed..

Thank you for your answers, some interesting points. My wife and I go to France twice a year, end of June into July and end of August into September. This year we took advantage of the new booking system and chose the cheapest (but non-amendable) price. As a result we have paid the total for both trips. We have pretty much accepted that we will not see France this year but, looking on the bright side, we do not have to find the money next year as we will have vouchers. As I say you have to look on the bright side. Take care everyone and be safe.

John

It’s a nice idea but don’t think it will happen. Brittany Ferries will be after a top up of their bank account, I’d imagine that BF are going to be looking for customers to be paying for new holidays and those with credit notes already have their money in BF’s bank account. I’d say if you’ve got a credit note, act fast anyway when the tide turns the otherway.

I think you're right on that one.

On 25/04/2020 at 10:00, Patn1 said:

Excellent idea, has it been suggested?

Hi first post!.

I have a ferry booked for 26th July to Santander with a return 17th August. Not sure if it will go ahead but keep up the hope.

I suggested a priority booking if vouchers were offered in an email to customer services:

Part of my email below:

"Another concern I have with the voucher is that it is for a monetary sum and therefore will diminish with inevitable price rises and also the availability of the sailings. 

Making this booking was a torturous process with the website crashing due to the amount of people trying to book when you released the summer sailing dates and the cabins becoming full. I felt very lucky to have been able to book the cabins that I have and I keep hoping for a cancellation so I can upgrade the return cabin to the same standard and the outgoing. 

With this in mind, will people who have the vouchers get a guaranteed booking during the two year period and the opportunity to book the exact same sailing?

I feel that if I was given an opportunity to make an advanced booking without having the "bun-fight" on the day of release, this would make it easier to plan to use the voucher. We are a working family and restricted to the School holidays so flexibility is something we just do not have".

The response to this suggestion is below.

Regarding giving priority to affected passengers, unfortunately, that would not be feasible and, with tens of thousands of passengers impacted, I don't think it would make a noticeable difference.

I appreciate this may be just the opinion of one customer service agent but they are the customer fascing element of the compnay.

On another note, I think I have noticed a change in the wording on the BF website COVID-19 section.

BF now seem to be refering to these "vouchers" as refund credit notes. The RCN is a system backed by ABTA which has bankrupcy protection and most importantly, can be refunded for cash during the valifdity period and at the end of the period if not used.

Don’t forget, if your sailing or holiday in the coming weeks is cancelled, we’ll let you know. We’ll email you with an apology, explanation and Refund Credit Note (RCN) as soon as we possibly can. You can find out more about cancelled services by reading our sailing updates page.

change in the wording on th I can only remember BF website mentioning "Vouchers" which are basically an I.O.U and from other forums I am a member, people who have been issued with "Vouchers"  have stated that BF says these "Vouchers" cannot be refunded.

ABTA are quite clear on the RCN scheme and you can get a refund. If I am offered a RCN where I can get a cash refund should I request at any time, I think I would be less likely to demand a refund, using Section 75 if required.

image.thumb.png.a785fe4826c07365c7dd054149fe46a7.png

1, Are these Refund Credit Notes (a term used by ABTA) only applicable to Holidays and exclude ferry tickets ? BF website does not appear to put any difference  between the two.

2. Do Refund Credit Notes have any value in a case of bankruptcy?

3. Are Vouchers the same as Refund Credit Notes in terms of validity and return of funds if unable to be used?

Questions!

French Govt. publishing exit plans today.

Stu

Welcome spawn-e -git , my gues is that your sailings on 26 July and 17 August will go ahead and that vouchers or credit notes will not be needed . You may however choose to amend your dates of travel but that's a different scenario. I hope things go well for you. 

Welcome to the forum........I very much doubt that you will have the same problems booking for next year like you had booking for this. I suspect that BF, although a member of ABTA, is that only for the purposes of their package holidays ie accomodation included. If that is your case you may well be right. If a ferry only sailing then they will remain vouchers. BF`s current terms and conditions say these have no cash refund value..So far they say early July will be the release date for 2021 sailings..Keep watching here for when it happens. 

1. If they meet the ABTA guidlines and contain the correct details then yes, they should be. 

2. Yes they are backed by ABTA, details in the link above.

3. No: 

No. A holiday voucher is different to a Refund Credit Note. Holiday vouchers, gift vouchers and other discount vouchers are not protected by the schemes of financial protection. 

French Govt. publishing exit plans today ---- Macron said last week to expect borders to be closed until at least October. I honestly think tourism will be one of the last things permitted. Countries such as Singapore and Japan have seen a resurgence when restrictions have been lifted and the Japanese especially have a much greater use of face Masks and also adherance and discipline than most nations.

Link below details RCN and difference to Vouchers.

https://www.abta.com/news/coronavirus-outbreak