Amendment and cancellation policies

22 minutes ago, IanN said:

If the vouchers were credited to an account which is in effect what is happening. Then they could be drawn down on just like the balance in a bank account. The booking process asks if you wish to create an account so the facility is there. BF could do this for the vouchers. This would simplify matters for people with multiple vouchers as I believe (not 100% sure) If you need to use them to amend an online booking there is only the facility to use one at a time. It may be easier on the phone but as you cannot ring no idea.

This is not just BF but if it was a matter of getting money in then away would be found quickly.

What I mean is that there probably isn't a way to create vouchers for non cancelled sailings but only if the person's outward sailing is cancelled. But I realise I've completely misread the original post. 

Yes it would be ideal of the vouchers value just reduced like a gift card say, but I doubt many companies are in a position to invest in development of their software to bypass a process that is relatively easy. Relatively being the key word. It's not just a policy change, it would mean rewriting complex parts of complex software. IE expensive, time consuming and complex.

If you need to do something which you would normally do over the phone, then send an email.

Vouchers are tied to an account if you used one. For Club Voyage members, they'll be in their account. If you have a normal website account, they'll be there too.

11 hours ago, scarlton said:

What I mean is that there probably isn't a way to create vouchers for non cancelled sailings but only if the person's outward sailing is cancelled. But I realise I've completely misread the original post. 

Yes it would be ideal of the vouchers value just reduced like a gift card say, but I doubt many companies are in a position to invest in development of their software to bypass a process that is relatively easy. Relatively being the key word. It's not just a policy change, it would mean rewriting complex parts of complex software. IE expensive, time consuming and complex.

If you need to do something which you would normally do over the phone, then send an email.

Vouchers are tied to an account if you used one. For Club Voyage members, they'll be in their account. If you have a normal website account, they'll be there too.

That is my point really they are already in an account they should just be called a credit balance. I will end up with four vouchers potentially.

Simple maths v1 + v2 +v3 + v4 = total

New booking cost = n  

Total credit balance - n = remaining credit balance

I do not know BF complex software but this does not seem like rocket science

Ian

• Like 1

On 28/04/2020 at 17:16, Jim said:

In all of this we are in unprecedented circumstances - but in what we're seeing a number of organisations are keeping hold of funds in contravention to their own T&Cs and any protection offered by being a member of ABTA/ATOL etc. 

Nobody has planned for this, although it does raise questions about what insurances providers have now or will (have to?) have in future. Travel companies are normally happy to defer customers to travel insurance - but where is theirs when it comes to complying with their own rules?

The general business model is inherently risky though... Essentially pay to operate your holiday in May with the money they have for my holiday in August. Fine until something like this happens...

8 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

The general business model is inherently risky though... Essentially pay to operate your holiday in May with the money they have for my holiday in August. Fine until something like this happens...

Indeed - and much of the inherent risk with that model is why, most of the time, we can enjoy reasonable priced travel. The difference being that a business has an option to accept a level of risk and to choose if and how they mitigate it (do they get insurance? Do they try and self-insure? Is the chance of it happening so small it's not worth mitigating?).

When a customer makes a booking they are also accepting their own level of risk based on the Terms and Conditions - but in many cases it seems travel firms have decided that it's the customer (or rather their money) that will be used to mitigate a whole host of new risks and challenges they face and have either broken or very liberally interpreted the T&Cs.

After all this, it will be interesting to see what changes - customer attitudes, financial operations, rules around financial operations, knock on effect to demand, pricing levels etc.

Yep. I wonder if there will be a 4th option (in terms of BF anyway) where you could pay right up to the last minute, but at a large premium. 
Would help reduce people's individual risk, but the company would hate it as it's the opposite of what offering different levels of tickets usually aim to do for travel firms, which is to get as much bunse in the bank up front...

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

This is partly true but also with holidays they have to pay for a lot in advance, as Jim has partly said in another reply they pay for a lot in advance to get the cheaper prices, if hotels only got paid at the last minute you would pay more or would have no guarantee of getting your holiday.  With BF a lot of things must work like that as well, paying for fuel in advance etc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Yep. I wonder if there will be a 4th option (in terms of BF anyway) where you could pay right up to the last minute, but at a large premium. 
Would help reduce people's individual risk, but the company would hate it as it's the opposite of what offering different levels of tickets usually aim to do for travel firms, which is to get as much bunse in the bank up front...

I can and do pay right up to tne last minute already - that's when I book and buy my ferry ticket - and I have never noticed a large premium. 

8 minutes ago, wortley said:

I can and do pay right up to tne last minute already - that's when I book and buy my ferry ticket - and I have never noticed a large premium. 

You will likely be paying the premium as the tickets are more expensive last minute? (on the whole).

For most people booking an advanced sailing the option is a weighing up between payment due date, cost and flexibility (cancellation terms)...

My (June 2020) Ryanair ticket was £214 one way. Two days later the last two seats were selling for £399. Now the flight is still for sale (which is mad) and my seat is £36

Industry standard management of revenue...

Edited by hf_uk

We saved £134 on our April Crossing and £96 on the September Crossing so far by booking early. We also got the cabins we wanted (The wife prefers the back of the boat) so there is a saving to be had and I would class this as significant. Also September is now full on the outward leg. With vouchers to spend I will probably book early for next year but after that will pay the premium and book later. 

Edited by IanN

13 hours ago, IanN said:

That is my point really they are already in an account they should just be called a credit balance. I will end up with four vouchers potentially.

Simple maths v1 + v2 +v3 + v4 = total

New booking cost = n  

Total credit balance - n = remaining credit balance

I do not know BF complex software but this does not seem like rocket science

Ian

Absolutely. It's a brilliant idea and makes sense. But I'd imagine is incredibly complex to roll out.

1 hour ago, pastiche said:

To The CEO.  So what is "Enhanced Flexibility for direct customers"?

You won't get an answer from the CEO on here :)

My take on it is that customers who booked direct will be able to amend or even cancel bookings with reduced/removed penalties - particularly as sailings may open up before parts of France do. 

Those that booked by travel agents etc will need to go with the T&Cs of their agent/travel firm.

10 hours ago, scarlton said:

Absolutely. It's a brilliant idea and makes sense. But I'd imagine is incredibly complex to roll out.

No idea really but if there is a financial incentive then it would be done.

I personally think it would help BF. Holding an account sounds better than a voucher with all the terms an conditions which apply although it is the same. 

It could also be used as a flexible payment option with every booking effectively being an account. Instead of the final payment being 75% of the cost for the flexi ticket.

You could elect to make 4 equal payments of  25% this may encourage people to book early and spread the cost. This should not incur any extra cost as the money would be coming in earlier

10 hours ago, Jim said:

You won't get an answer from the CEO on here :)

My take on it is that customers who booked direct will be able to amend or even cancel bookings with reduced/removed penalties - particularly as sailings may open up before parts of France do. 

Those that booked by travel agents etc will need to go with the T&Cs of their agent/travel firm.

That raises an interesting point re their own stand alone companies such as Holiday France Direct, that we use. Although you book only the sailings direct with BF, you get a 20% discount on the fares, you cant amend online only by contacting BF directly. I`m presuming that not withstanding that, this new flexibility will apply to those as well..Must give them a ring and ask................oh hang on

Edited by Paully
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2