sandra2jeremy@w

Amendment and cancellation policies

2 minutes ago, John M said:

16th June

That's the target date for cafes, bars and restaurants to reopen. I suspect they are interpreting that as including campsites too. Whether it actually happens is anyone's guess and is primarily going to depend on the 'colour' of the department where the campsite is located. You are not due to travel for another 10 days after that so should have some advance notice if things change. Ed

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

That's the target date for cafes, bars and restaurants to reopen. I suspect they are interpreting that as including campsites too. Whether it actually happens is anyone's guess and is primarily going to depend on the 'colour' of the department where the campsite is located. You are not due to travel for another 10 days after that so should have some advance notice if things change. Ed

As I understand it any relaxation of lockdown allowed by the French Government  will be left to each department Prefecture to decide how and when they allow such changes. So, opening of campsites etc may be only by permission given locally after I would guess that an inspection has been made and restrictions on activities imposed.

Stu

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LHCity said:

passenger traffic will not return until June 1

Will that be the line Brighton to Bayeux using Barfleur with an intermediate stop at Boulogne? 😉 Ed. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

The entire French tourism industry relies very heavily of the short summer season, in particular August. It is very unlikely that the lockdown will continue through the summer as there would be widespread unrest. And nobody does widespread unrest like the French when they get wound up.

Edited by veryoldbear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, straightfeed said:

As I understand it any relaxation of lockdown allowed by the French Government  will be left to each department Prefecture to decide how and when they allow such changes. So, opening of campsites etc may be only by permission given locally after I would guess that an inspection has been made and restrictions on activities imposed.

Stu

Generally the Prefecture impose rules dictated by central government with any local considerations taken into account. At the moment their role sems to be ensuring compliance.

There was an example yesterday where the Mayor of Oleron island decided that his beaches would be open from the 11 May as they are no other real public spaces (forests//parks/gardens) on his island. So if the population are to have their freedom of movement reinstated and allowed to go out and exercise they need to have somewhere to do it. He was reminded by the local Prefect that the Government has said that NO beaches will be allowed to open before 2 June. He also said that anyone going onto the beach next week would still be liable for a 135€ fine. 

As regards campsites, it's going to be tricky if they have swimming pools and others leisure facilities. There may be some sites which are just mobile-home/chalet parks where everyone keeps to themselves and has small gardens and those will probably be easier to reopen as long as the pools remain out of bounds. Those for tents and caravans are going to be much more complicated due to the sharing of sanitary and washing facilities and the inability to keep children within an enclosed space.

I'm also hearing that bookings for private villas, gites and seafront flats are increasing rapidly as people prioritise holidays in their family group rather than with friends and other family. They are reserving those houses (often with pools) in places in the countryside, mountains and along the coasts, but in destinations which are perhaps not typical popular as they are only a couple of hours' drive from their normal homes in anticipation of travel restrictions being relaxed but still relatively strict.

Ed

From the British perspective we cannot travel until the Foreign Office lifts the travel ban. Travel Insurance, of any sort of usefulness, will be null and void. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Paully said:

From the British perspective we cannot travel until the Foreign Office lifts the travel ban. Travel Insurance, of any sort of usefulness, will be null and void. 

Get that in the Daily Mail and BoJo will promise that for us next Wednesday. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, straightfeed said:

Get that in the Daily Mail and BoJo will promise that for us next Wednesday. 

In the event it doesnt make the Daily Mail, you could consider giving these guys a go..Seem to have everything covered from War zones to Cruises 🤣..even does the over 75`s...should you need it..

https://www.insurewithease.com/high-risk-travel-insurance

Edited by Paully

48 minutes ago, Paully said:

Even when the ban is lifted most travel insurance will generally not work for new trips if the claim is due to Coronovirus, however this year  health wise it is ok  due to the  EHIC. The problem will come next year if the insurance industry is still not covering new trips.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

The campsite we go to in The Vendee had planned its season to start on Monday coming. It's British owned and run so the end of May mid-term holiday that schools in England and Wales have is a busy week. In March they put back the planned opening date to 29th June (the site fills with the Scots and Northern Irish at that point) so we hoped to get our holiday as we were due on site on June 26th but would have moved our dates. This week, the opening has been put back further to July 20th so we have lost our holiday. We would have the option of postponing until the site opens, and our work would allow for that, but we wouldn't feel comfortable being in a tent and having to use communal facilities so would have to upgrade the accommodation to a mobile home, with the extra costs that we would incur in relation to that and the fact that we would then be into high season. Given that we aren't convinced that even by 20th July we would be able to get there, we have decided to give it a miss this year.

• Like 5

The 'health emergency' officially runs until Friday 24 July so it could be that they limit any holiday travel until the following day. Coincidentally, I booked (way back in early January) a flight for Saturday 25 July leaving Nantes airport at about 7 am for Nice. We'll probably find out if that's still feasible in a month's time. Ed. 

• Like 3

We too have decided to give France a miss this year.Once BF had announced they would allow Refund Credit Notes for previously non-refundable deposits it was - for us- a no brainer.I filled in the claim form late on Sunday night and got my credit note yesterday.Not bad customer service under the present circumstances and a pat on the back for BF from me.A welcome change from all the stick they've been getting.

BF are starting to remove most of the rest of the May sailings, however the Caen one looks a bit weird at present (ie Normandie is showing for Passengers and MSM for freight). 

39 minutes ago, David Williams said:

BF are starting to remove most of the rest of the May sailings, however the Caen one looks a bit weird at present (ie Normandie is showing for Passengers and MSM for freight). 

Are they just reconstructing the time table as we speak? I'm surprised they are changing anything until the magic 11th May

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Confirmed !

LHCity said last night that the 1st June was when they would restart, I think. I doubt he can reveal the source of that information but obviously someone in Le Havre is in the know given most of the fleet is in the port right now. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

BFs Twitter feed makes for painful ready it’s actually quite shocking customer service, I expect better of them they honestly need to take a good hard look at themselves and decide whether they want to have any loyalty or not maybe it’s already to late.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spancophile said:

We too have decided to give France a miss this year.Once BF had announced they would allow Refund Credit Notes for previously non-refundable deposits it was - for us- a no brainer.I filled in the claim form late on Sunday night and got my credit note yesterday.Not bad customer service under the present circumstances and a pat on the back for BF from me.A welcome change from all the stick they've been getting.

Like the rest of us lets hope they don't go into administration. If they do I suspect the voucher will be worthless.

I don't profess to understand BF financing but if they do not own the ferries can they not go into administration and reform as Brittany Ferries 2021 for example using the same ferries   

• Like 1

Somebody is expecting the beaches to open soon as the main poste de secour went up on the main beach at Argeles sur Mer on Wednesday. 

16 minutes ago, BigDW1946 said:

Somebody is expecting the beaches to open soon as the main poste de secour went up on the main beach at Argeles sur Mer on Wednesday. 

The rules changed slightly yesterday. Local mayors may now apply to the prefect to reopen the beaches earlier than planned. They must submit a request which is able to prove the space will be used only for exercise, there is enough space for people to keep a reasonable distance, people won't be allowed sit to have picnics or sunbathe and there will,be a sort of one-way system giving access to and from the beach without people passing on steps or footpaths etc. I suspect there will be a lot of demands submitted and the bigger the beach, the greater the chance of success. The police will also be required to supervise the situation so their availability will be another factor to take into account. We'll see if a list gets published in the next few days. Ed

Our local beach runs from Siouville-Hague to beyond Vauville on the west coast of the Cherbourg peninsular - roughly 10 miles long, half a mile wide at low tide and has about 20 people, 5 kids and 2 dogs on it even in mid July. I wonder if that will be considered large enough?:S

Chris

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Our local beach runs from Siouville-Hague to beyond Vauville on the west coast of the Cherbourg peninsular - roughly 10 miles long, half a mile wide at low tide and has about 20 people, 5 kids and 2 dogs on it even in mid July. I wonder if that will be considered large enough?:S

Chris

That's the one you can see from the harbour wall in Dielette, isn't it? With the nuclear reprocessing centre up on the hill behind it. It's the same as the one we visit just north of Granville. Even on the hottest summer's day you can self-distance without needing to be told how to do so. Ed