Jump to content

Amendment and cancellation policies


Recommended Posts

 
21 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

LHCity said last night that the 1st June was when they would restart, I think. I doubt he can reveal the source of that information but obviously someone in Le Havre is in the know given most of the fleet is in the port right now. Ed. 

Source : Bayeux port authority  😉

 

 
 
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On that note, it's probably worth a bit more of an explanation as to why some threads have been closed as there seems to be a little bit of confusion and concern that seems to have crept in. I'll put

Travel companies in general, no way specific to BF, are in effect giant ponzi schemes. They spend your deposits/balances before you travel and depend on subsequent bookings to float your particular bo

The campsite we go to in The Vendee had planned its season to start on Monday coming. It's British owned and run so the end of May mid-term holiday that schools in England and Wales have is a busy wee

Eventually got through via the form.

“To help us ensure every customer gets a considered response, we ask you to please allow the following durations for us to process your enquiry and respond. 

  • I am abroad and require assistance – 72 hours
  • I have a query about a package holiday – 7 days
  • For all other enquiries – Up to 45 days 

I’m confident we’ll get back to you much quicker than that but demand remains very high.“

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

Eventually got through via the form.

“To help us ensure every customer gets a considered response, we ask you to please allow the following durations for us to process your enquiry and respond. 

  • I am abroad and require assistance – 72 hours
  • I have a query about a package holiday – 7 days
  • For all other enquiries – Up to 45 days 

I’m confident we’ll get back to you much quicker than that but demand remains very high.“

This is the sort of response time you might expect at the beginning of a crisis but not this far in. They have had time to sort this out

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

It costs £36 to change your name by deed poll, and £36 to change it back again. So that's £72 so might be worth it if you're wanting a refund from Brittany Ferries plus other airlines and holiday companies holding out on a refund. Change your name to Simon Calder or Martin Lewis and I bet your full cash refund will come through pretty sharpish.

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

To follow up my original post starting this topic. In fairness to Brittany Ferries, I have now finally managed to Contact them and they have replied to each mail and issued credit note refunds valid for 2 years for both my bookings so I am no longer out of pocket to the tune of £850.00. I consider this to be very fair, certainly given the very difficult situation they find themselves in.  This restores my faith in a company I first started using in 1992.  I found that an email to customer services actually produces results from their office in Millbay Plymouth. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting little thing just saw. I just looked at my booking, of course the July 2021 sailings are not showing so I can;t advance it on a year (this could be an issue if te crossing gets cancelled before the crossings come online).

 

But now also showing my crossing as being full, as is the next days. I basically tried to amend my crossing to the same day, bringing that up, wonder if that is related to BF no longer carrying footies...

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Interesting little thing just saw. I just looked at my booking, of course the July 2021 sailings are not showing so I can;t advance it on a year (this could be an issue if te crossing gets cancelled before the crossings come online).

 

But now also showing my crossing as being full, as is the next days. I basically tried to amend my crossing to the same day, bringing that up, wonder if that is related to BF no longer carrying footies...

Which leads you to suspect that if the crossing isn't cancelled you will still be bumped off as a foot passenger?  Ed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

(this could be an issue if te crossing gets cancelled before the crossings come online).

With the current flexibility, I think that anyone thinking of moving a crossing a year should take the credit note and rebook, this would restart the 12 month validity of a ticket and may also give access to offers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Which leads you to suspect that if the crossing isn't cancelled you will still be bumped off as a foot passenger?  Ed. 

Have to admit I didn't think about it that way, but if that is the reason (admittedly I am looking at a trip slap bang in July/August it may be fully booked, though not sure if the Le Havre routes get that busy) then will be interesting to see what happens...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just tried to change a booking using Manage My Booking and it is really rubbish. I just doesn't work properly. I have sent them an email but I suspect I am going to have to end up just cancelling the original booking and hoping I can get on the sailing required. Sense of humour failure tonight, I'm afraid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, veryoldbear said:

I've just tried to change a booking using Manage My Booking and it is really rubbish. I just doesn't work properly. I have sent them an email but I suspect I am going to have to end up just cancelling the original booking and hoping I can get on the sailing required. Sense of humour failure tonight, I'm afraid.

The software is rubbish, however sometimes it is just incorrect error messages when the rules have changed about cabins etc.

The best way of sorting it out is usually a Direct Message on twitter as Jane is very good at sorting out problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, David Williams said:

The software is rubbish, however sometimes it is just incorrect error messages when the rules have changed about cabins etc.

The best way of sorting it out is usually a Direct Message on twitter as Jane is very good at sorting out problems.

The family have now change their minds about when they want to come so I am now tearing my hair out. They don't seem to understand the problems that exist with trying to make / amend bookings. I may take a terrible vengeance and send tham via the tunnel.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, David Williams said:

On today’s update BF have said that the ability to move a sailing onto a credit note will end for new requests at the end of May

Blinding arn`t they...Just when you think there isn`t anymore clangers to drop, they find one..This scheme was, grudgingly, allowing them to build some kudos, must have been working because they have withdrawn it with 2 days notice. It probably just dawned on them that next year they would be carrying large numbers of pax on credit notes, their previous contributions having already been spaffed. Social media should be interesting next week.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I noticed this in the update. 

"We’re still planning on a resumption of more passenger services from mid-June"

Err???

Ed

 

One service is still more than they have at present. I suspect that will be MSM and Cap Finistere to test out the procedures with more passengers.

However, I believe that they have limited passengers at the moment - one tweet was from a happy Spaniard that got home from Ireland who also had a picture of a form from the Spanish Embassy in Dublin. In addition one of the options on the contact form is ' I need to get home'.

The paragraph about getting home has been softened and now says "We are working with local embassies to assess what can be done for emergency repatriations but I cannot offer further reassurances for anyone who feels they can only return home on of our vessels."

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got an email from BF on Friday. At the end it thanks me for my support in “these dark times” (I accepted a credit note without arguing), and offering a “rebooking discount” of 15% using a special link on the email and using the credit note. Can be used on any route this year and next but must book by 31 July 2020. Anybody else seen this?

Plus, overnight, Irish Ferries have changed the date of qualifying bookings for free amendments/refunds from 29 June to 12 July. We had a sailing on 1 July and IF have twice advanced the “balance due” date as the virus situation developed. Now we can amend or cancel without a fee or penalty.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. Have been a BF customer since 1989 and frankly Plymouth to Roscoff is my only reasonable route to my holiday home. Like many of you I've had one booking cancelled by BF and my next in late June is looking unlikely. My most recent vouchers were used for bookings in September and October, which I'm beginning to regret. However, having read the most recent Coronavirus update from the BF CEO which gives today as the deadline to use the Enhanced Flexibility offer I am worried about what will happen to my economy booking for 21st June. If BF cancel the crossing and give me another voucher I'm OK with that (although earlier posts worry me that BF may collapse and that will leave me out of pocket). However, as their Contact Form online was of yesterday still inoperable and their phone lines are not in use I emailed customer services to request a refund voucher yesterday, backing that up with a letter to Millbay. Where do I stand if BF refuse a refund voucher given their own means of communication (the contact form) isn't working? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, TopCat2 said:

Hi. Have been a BF customer since 1989 and frankly Plymouth to Roscoff is my only reasonable route to my holiday home. Like many of you I've had one booking cancelled by BF and my next in late June is looking unlikely. My most recent vouchers were used for bookings in September and October, which I'm beginning to regret. However, having read the most recent Coronavirus update from the BF CEO which gives today as the deadline to use the Enhanced Flexibility offer I am worried about what will happen to my economy booking for 21st June. If BF cancel the crossing and give me another voucher I'm OK with that (although earlier posts worry me that BF may collapse and that will leave me out of pocket). However, as their Contact Form online was of yesterday still inoperable and their phone lines are not in use I emailed customer services to request a refund voucher yesterday, backing that up with a letter to Millbay. Where do I stand if BF refuse a refund voucher given their own means of communication (the contact form) isn't working? 

Who knows, they insist that the contact form is the only method of communication and then give out the email addresses on twitter. The form is temperamental, BF IT bugs can usually be solved by starting afresh in a private / incognito session.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/05/2020 at 16:59, Paully said:

. It probably just dawned on them that next year they would be carrying large numbers of pax on credit notes, their previous contributions having already been spaffed. Social media should be interesting next week.

I posted about this over a month ago. It's a question of whether you take the hit now or in twelve months time but hit they will be. Nothing however alters the fact that it is client money they are playing fast and loose with. 

It will take years for this half year's losses to work through the system.  But quite a lot of travel travel firms have no resilience really - the Shearings group that collapsed a fortnight ago depended entirely for its working capital on a rolling overdraft facility.  If firms had to put advance fares into client accounts the business model would collapse. It's a bit different to an old established family biscuit group I looked at the other day - been going for years with control still in the same family. Six months gross turnover cover in the bank - cash, they know, is king. Cheap credit since 2008 has brought about some very bad habits in corporate life.

 

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The next update is apparently due this evening.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an archive of the previous updates from the BF boss but I've noticed that they all seem to start with more or less the same format: Adjective/Verb noun (and) (article) adjective/verb noun

The most recent one is: Continued recovery and a brighter outlook

Previous ones include: Gathering Momentum and Improving Service Levels

It looks like he's using some sort of randon word generator, in the way Japanese t-shirt manufacturers put two or three unrelated words on their products, albeit one which only selects economic terms.

So, today's challenge is to guess what words might appear in the update due this evening given the current known situation in both the UK and France.

My suggestion is: Unrestricted travel and new onboard services

Ed 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...