Jump to content
Paully

Cruise ships start to be culled

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Marella have announced the immediate withdrawal from service of their Marella Celebration. She started out life, interestly, in the Chantiers de Atlantique yard at St Nazaire as the Noordam for Holland America line. She entered service in 1984 so some time before the Bretagne, but although old was popular to the end..They certainly built them well at that yard. 

  Sadly I think many others will follow her to the beach.

Edited by Paully
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. We travelled on her twice with Thomson Cruises. First to the Norwegian Fjords (2006) and the second time around the Baltic (2008). At 33,000GRT with around 1,300 passengers she is a small ship by modern standards but she was beautifully outfitted by Holland America to a high standrard which she maintained under Thomson. The internal layout was cleverly designed to make her appear larger than she actually was. There was lots of external deck space and tiered decks at the stern which added to the 'proper ship' ambience. She and her sister Nieuw Amsterdam were notable by their uncompromisingly angular external design which is of course now commonplace.

We found her to be a very pleasant ship to cruise on with an intimate atmosphere lacking on today's typical behemoths. We also caught the tail end of 'traditional' cruising where lots of nice little extra touches were included which have now either disappeared or been agressively monetised in today's cruise offerings to drive down headline fare prices.

The only significant flaw with both ships was their power plants. Each had three low speed diesel engines, two for driving the propellers with generator sets attached and one purely to supply electrical power which was always kept running in port. For some reason these engines vibrated very badly and could be felt all over the ship all the time to a greater or lesser extent. After a while you got used to it but if you had a cabin low down towards the stern and near the engine room the vibration was very bad. On both our cruises we had the same semi deluxe cabin high up behind the bridge but even there the vibration was noticeable.

(DTR)IMG_1527.JPG

Thomson Celebration (2).JPG

Thomson Celebration (15).JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TBF there are plenty of older crusie vessels which could be pushed aside at the moment, it's probably good timing.

I would not want to go on an old tub (even if the tub has had a few licks of paint inside), when there are over 50 stunning "supervessels" in the industry, and a good dozen or so on order...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it comes down to what you prefer. I like to feel I'm on a real ship and not a splendiferous floating hotel with 5,000 other passengers.

But I would agree that at 35 years old the Celebration has probably reached the end of her natural life. She's had a good innings.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Yes, it comes down to what you prefer. I like to feel I'm on a real ship and not a splendiferous floating hotel with 5,000 other passengers.

But I would agree that at 35 years old the Celebration has probably reached the end of her natural life. She's had a good innings.

You can enjoy an older vessel, and a smaller vessel, without having to endure a naff vessel 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always had a soft spot for the SS Ankara myself, used by Swan Hellenic for a while - 16 years I think? Ex US, colourful history. Aircon? Forget it and shove a scuttle out your porthole... All sorts and sizes of pipes ran overhead in the cabins, with a variety of noises coming therefrom. 

http://freeshipplans.com/scale-model-articles/ss-ankara-ah-5-solace-ss-iroquois/

swan hellenic cruises S/S ankara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about that one which visits Millbay some years which has the same colour exhaust as the hull! She has a tug at each end and a curved hull like the Marco Polo. She's a real relic. No idea how she gets around the emissions regulations!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Paully said:

Marella have announced the immediate withdrawal from service of their Marella Celebration. She started out life, interestly, in the Chantiers de Atlantique yard at St Nazaire as the Noordam for Holland America line. She entered service in 1984 so some time before the Bretagne, but although old was popular to the end..They certainly built them well at that yard. 

  Sadly I think many others will follow her to the beach.

She is currently to be seen at anchor out in Sandown Bay. In my view she’s a very attractive design, a modest size vessel on the lines of the Fred Olsen ships, and in my view much to be preferred to the floating office blocks that the industry has moved on to.

Having said that, for the last week there have also been three other, more modern, Marella vessels also at anchor in the bay - Explorer, Explorer 2, and Discovery 2 - and they are not bad lookers either. But from my vantage point above the bay I have never in 26 years seen one cruise ship at anchor there more than briefly, let alone four at once. The costs and loss of income must be enormous, and given the bad publicity about people being trapped on board with the virus, not to mention the financial hit many are now taking, the future does not look bright for cruise operators. I agree that, sadly, others will follow Marella Celebration to the scrapyard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 29/04/2020 at 16:11, hf_uk said:

What about that one which visits Millbay some years which has the same colour exhaust as the hull! She has a tug at each end and a curved hull like the Marco Polo. She's a real relic. No idea how she gets around the emissions 

 

Edited by Ryan_H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

 

 

On 29/04/2020 at 16:11, hf_uk said:

What about that one which visits Millbay some years which has the same colour exhaust as the hull! She has a tug at each end and a curved hull like the Marco Polo. She's a real relic. No idea how she gets around the emissions regulations!

What I meant to say was, was this the 1948-built Astoria? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

 

What I meant to say was, was this the 1948-built Astoria? 

Thats the Astoria presently used by Cruise and Maritime ltd and layed up at Tilbury. She entered service in 1948 and was completely rebuilt in 1994 and still going strong. This company operates a few golden oldies like the Marco Polo which seem to get good write ups and are popular because they are smaller and actually look like ships..Long may they continue.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...