When sailings can start again how long would it take BF to get ships ready again?

i take it that it would be just a couple of days to get restocked and sail to the right ports.

I would suspect about a week. There may be inspections and surveys, checking over LSA and deep cleaning of all the catering bits and bobs, running up the machinery etc etc, and getting the crew mobilised and in the right place

Posted (edited)

Usually a couple or three days.  Going by Barfy when she goes to Cherbourg from whenever, it isn’t longer for a few days when she is on her way again.  In this situation she would have to sail from Caen to Cherbourg first.  If she arrived in Cherbourg today, would expect to see her wombling into Poole either Wednesday or Thursday evening.  Remembering her long lay ups before, she was back in service quite quickly.

Edited by Khaines

Judging by what we've seen on French TV recently showing how car dealers and clothes shops are preparing for reopening, it could take a while. They are having to put down new floor markings, tape off specific areas, install plexiglass screens etc. Obviously that can be done onboard while repositioning the ship but whatever they do weeok have to still allow for swift and easy evacuation if necessary so there might need to be some certificate issued before sailings can start. 

The updates page is still saying that sailings are still only cancelled up to 15 May. Given that all the departments the company serves, all being well, will have a 100km limit available from the 11th May that means we should start to see the vessels moving by the weekend or at least receive an update to confirm that. My strong suspicion however is that if the end of lockdown is confirmed on Thursday this week they will still push the suspension through to the end of May when the next review is due. In other words, I wouldn't count your chickens just yet.

Ed. 

17 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Judging by what we've seen on French TV recently showing how car dealers and clothes shops are preparing for reopening, it could take a while. They are having to put down new floor markings, tape off specific areas, install plexiglass screens etc. Obviously that can be done onboard while repositioning the ship but whatever they do weeok have to still allow for swift and easy evacuation if necessary so there might need to be some certificate issued before sailings can start. 

The updates page is still saying that sailings are still only cancelled up to 15 May. Given that all the departments the company serves, all being well, will have a 100km limit available from the 11th May that means we should start to see the vessels moving by the weekend or at least receive an update to confirm that. My strong suspicion however is that if the end of lockdown is confirmed on Thursday this week they will still push the suspension through to the end of May when the next review is due. In other words, I wouldn't count your chickens just yet.

Ed. 

I have a feeling that this is about right. I'm betting on a reasonable passenger service available in July, but I am quite happy to be proved wrong

• Like 1

It does seem that they will have plenty time to do whatever is needed to make the ships compliant with the relevant regulations and crucially compliment with union demands to keep the crew safe although as @DucdeNormandie says I can’t see the Borders being open this summer to allow sailings of a meaningful quantity to run.

48 minutes ago, veryoldbear said:

I have a feeling that this is about right. I'm betting on a reasonable passenger service available in July, but I am quite happy to be proved wrong

If all the indicators are positive then the parks, forests and riverside walks should open next Monday. Beaches are definitely closed until the 2 June to avoid people congregating during the long weekends. Restaurants and cafes will not reopen before mid-June at the earliest so I can't see any passenger sailings before then whatever happens as BF is most likely bound by French rules, unless they find some way to offer a takeaway service on board. Ed. 

8 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

If all the indicators are positive then the parks, forests and riverside walks should open next Monday. Beaches are definitely closed until the 2 June to avoid people congregating during the long weekends. Restaurants and cafes will not reopen before mid-June at the earliest so I can't see any passenger sailings before then whatever happens as BF is most likely bound by French rules, unless they find some way to offer a takeaway service on board. Ed. 

I will let you translate this 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10158257449526192&set=a.10150690184001192&type=3 

8 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Yes, there has been a petition going around to allow decisions to be made on a case by case basis. Some Mayors want to open their beaches if they consider it safe to do so. I doubt it will work as the result could be a mass migration to the coast for days out and packed beaches if the weather is good because there is nowhere else to go (cafes, bars,  restaurants, theme parks etc remain closed). Ed. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DucdeNormandie said:

Also Macron has said he wants the borders closed until the end of October, so if non-French nationals can't enter France will this affect date of resumption of  service?😤

Macron never said that, and it is not government policy. Indeed it has recently been stated that EU, Schengen and UK travellers will not face any quaratine restrictions on arrival in France. Exactly what measures and restrictions which will apply to people from outside those areas is due to be laid out soon. The 100 km travel limit is "expected" to be relaxed in some for after a month. 200 km? Within region? Or restricted in some other ways?

So .... as far as BF and cross Channel services are concerned, it will come down to being able to comply with on board sanitary guidelines and demand from a travelling public.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
20 minutes ago, colin said:

Macron never said that, and it is not government policy. Indeed it has recently been stated that EU, Schengen and UK travellers will not face any quaratine restrictions on arrival in France.

Unfortunately that raises another problem in that Ireland are now requiring visitors regardless of were they are from to self isolate for 14 days , provide an address for same  and be subject to a spot inspection . No one in Ireland can travel more than 5 km from their home at the moment which means even if they are allowed to enter France they can't get to the ferry port to do so .  With that in mind I can't see how anyone could travel between Ireland and France so not worth having a ship travel .

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Would it not also have to wait until the UK lockdown ends as well? What's the point of coming across to the UK yet?

Seem like we are both thinking along the same lines .

8 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Also what happens if there’s an outbreak where you are staying and they lockdown that region?

If it's your second home in France then you can just stay there until the situation improves. Or you can chose to return to your primary residence. That was the choice last time around and should be the same again. If you are in a rental property then you should still be able to travel home providing you can prove the reason for the trip.

A further limited outbreak will not necessarily result in a total lockdown because the idea is to selectively confine people suspected of being in contact. The colours can change day by day depending on the spread of the virus and hospital capacity. Therefore if they manage to contain a local outbreak the colour could switch back to green relatively quickly. Obviously that requires use of the tracing app which has not been rolled out here  yet. The problem is I don't think it will be very popular in France.

Ed

3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

If it's your second home in France then you can just stay there until the situation improves. Or you can chose to return to your primary residence. That was the choice last time around and should be the same again. If you are in a rental property then you should still be able to travel home providing you can prove the reason for the trip.

A further limited outbreak will not necessarily result in a total lockdown because the idea is to selectively confine people suspected of being in contact. The colours can change day by day depending on the spread of the virus and hospital capacity. Therefore if they manage to contain a local outbreak the colour could switch back to green relatively quickly. Obviously that requires use of the tracing app which has not been rolled out here  yet. The problem is I don't think it will be very popular in France.

Ed

The usual civil rights people are complaining about personal freedom etc, they don't seem to realise the phone companies know exactly where you are all the time.  What's most important civil liberties or your health?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, DucdeNormandie said:

This is the reference for the October deadline . I would of course be delighted if it was lifted earlier as I am suffering from cabin fever and can't wait to get to France again.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/death-of-schengen-france-introduces-seven-month-long-border-controls-amid-coronavirus/

This is not directly a virus issue, in the article it says " France decided to extend its border controls which have been in place for years now due to persistent terror threat, to internal borders, until October 31."

I understand that this is not a ban, it just allows more controls if needed. I understand that France will be saying something about EU travel soon & the Commission is also due to say something as well !

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Solo said:

The usual civil rights people are complaining about personal freedom etc, they don't seem to realise the phone companies know exactly where you are all the time.  What's most important civil liberties or your health?

It of course doesn’t help when you have the head of “Leave UK “ designing the app and it’s security systems run contrary to all other advice being given , if it fails the rest to be included in the NHS app library it’s security must be deeply flawed, it’s not as simple as it knowing where you are it could compromise all the other data on your phone bank accounts etc 

https://www.hsj.co.uk/technology-and-innovation/exclusive-wobbly-tracing-app-failed-clinical-safety-and-cyber-security-tests/7027564.article

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Solo said:

What's most important civil liberties or your health?

That's a really interesting question and one we might all answer in very different ways. 

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Millsy said:

That's a really interesting question and one we might all answer in very different ways. 

My question would be why would a government go against almost all the good advice and receiving help from the two biggest phone manufacturers in the world and make their own app which runs in a different way from almost all the other similar apps in the world.

47 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

It of course doesn’t help when you have the head of “Leave UK “ designing the app and it’s security systems run contrary to all other advice being given , if it fails the rest to be included in the NHS app library it’s security must be deeply flawed, it’s not as simple as it knowing where you are it could compromise all the other data on your phone bank accounts etc 

https://www.hsj.co.uk/technology-and-innovation/exclusive-wobbly-tracing-app-failed-clinical-safety-and-cyber-security-tests/7027564.article

Exactly - this is why I won’t be using it.  I have a feeling that this is all to George Orwell 1984 for me.  I just have this feeling that in not to far into the distant future people will be finding out about what else this app has been tracking.  And especially if Leave UK are involved, that has kind of concreted my opinion that there is more to that app than tracking health.  It won’t be on my devices.

• Like 1