Seashore

Hate Dover and a small shop

Using main engines to keep the lights on ! . 

When I worked on the construction of Berth 6 in Dover I got used to the noises made by each ship. Without looking one could recognize immediately the Pride of Burgundy and its particularly loud drone from the generators.

38 minutes ago, Chef said:

Perhaps it's to be able to make a quick getaway in case the administrators (or locals brandishing pitchforks) turn up. Ed. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Being switched off soon when shore side power is used , interesting article anyway I never knew that Forth ports own Tillbury hence them coming up here.

1 minute ago, neilcvx said:

Being switched off soon when shore side power is used , interesting article anyway I never knew that Forth ports own Tillbury hence them coming up here.

Perhaps it's part of a cunning plan. If P&O go under owing money to Tilbury then the parent company has possession of the ships to auction off to cover any debts. Ed

The Burgundy is a small shop

Well, it has always been said that Dover-Calais ships were basically floating motorway service stations, so that's partly accurate...

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

Do they not have generators , or am I reading the article wrong , why do they need the main engines to provide just  electrical power .Or is it just lazy journalism not knowing the difference between a ships engine ( as the article states ) and a generator .

Edited by Chef

37 minutes ago, Chef said:

Do they not have generators , or am I reading the article wrong , why do they need the main engines to provide just  electrical power .Or is it just lazy journalism not knowing the difference between a ships engine ( as the article states ) and a generator .

I read somewhere that they were being plugged in for essential stuff to be kept running but that would take “a while “ .

8 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I read somewhere that they were being plugged in for essential stuff to be kept running but that would take “a while “ .

In Scotland that presumably means the heaters required until the end of May so the crew don't freeze to death. 😉 Ed. 

3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

In Scotland that presumably means the heaters required until the end of May so the crew don't freeze to death. 😉 Ed. 

It’s warm here today I suspect Leith is looking as good as always .

D913E6AE-56D4-4AA2-82E0-13E92756F411.thumb.jpeg.9ba645ef4f404d21818c0db53d6a52a6.jpeg

• Like 2

Burgundy has 4 main Sulzer diesels with the generators in a seperate auxiliary engine room..The main engines will be shut down but the generators (auxilary engines) will be run as normally whilst in port and in a `hot lay up`scenario. It must be this noise that they can hear. I suppose if what you are used to is the odd fishing boat and passing seagull then maybe but its a sign of times sadly..

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Paully said:

Burgundy has 4 main Sulzer diesels with the generators in a seperate auxiliary engine room..The main engines will be shut down but the generators (auxilary engines) will be run as normally whilst in port and in a `hot lay up`scenario. It must be this noise that they can hear. I suppose if what you are used to is the odd fishing boat and passing seagull then maybe but its a sign of times sadly..

They said there was no noise for a while then it started again I suspect they won’t hear the generators if the ships are where I think they are , the Northlink Ferries are the only other ones I know off that go there.

11 hours ago, crechbleiz said:

When I worked on the construction of Berth 6 in Dover I got used to the noises made by each ship. Without looking one could recognize immediately the Pride of Burgundy and its particularly loud drone from the generators.

Dover Berth 6 was constructed in 1979/1980, and was the base for Sealink’s “Flagship” service to Calais using St Anselm, St Christopher, Cote D’Azur and Champs Elysees.

Pride of Burgundy was built in 1991/1992.

Was it some sort of reconstruction of the berth that you were involved with Crechbleiz?

(I know when the current incarnation of DED was created, Berth 3 was reconstructed and a completely new Berth 2 (well to seawards of the original Berth 2 in the Camber) was constructed.  Berth 4 was removed.  And Berths 7-9 were all new.  But I was never sure whether Berths 5 and 6 are the original berths or whether they were rebuilt at some point?)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Dover Berth 6 was constructed in 1979/1980, and was the base for Sealink’s “Flagship” service to Calais using St Anselm, St Christopher, Cote D’Azur and Champs Elysees.

Pride of Burgundy was built in 1991/1992.

Was it some sort of reconstruction of the berth that you were involved with Crechbleiz?

(I know when the current incarnation of DED was created, Berth 3 was reconstructed and a completely new Berth 2 (well to seawards of the original Berth 2 in the Camber) was constructed.  Berth 4 was removed.  And Berths 7-9 were all new.  But I was never sure whether Berths 5 and 6 are the original berths or whether they were rebuilt at some point?)

Gareth you are correct with the dates of the initial berth 6. However this berth was demolished and rebuilt according to a new design (similar to 8 & 9) in 2012/2013 by Rowecord Engineering Ltd. I had the privilege to be the Project Welding and QA manager for both Rowecord Engineering and then Dover Harbour Board. For the duration of the project we were based in the vacated shore side offices of Seafrance near berth 6.

It was a complex project made even more complex with treacherous weather conditions and the dimensions of the bridges. Pre-fabrication activities took place in Newport (South Wales) and final assembly of the bridges took place on the defunct Hoverport. Bridges were then moved from the Hoverport to Berth 6 using a pair of floating cranes. One of the technical challenges of the Dover Strait berths is the variety of ships berthing there and the absence of ship ramps.

https://www.dover-marina.com/features/

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-multi-level-vehicle-loading-ramp-on-ferry-berth-no-6-at-the-ferry-125715045.html

https://www.doverport.co.uk/about/news/port-welcomes-critical-covid-19-supply-chain-packa/13530/

On the last link, the DFDS ferry (can't see which one of the Cotes) is berthed on 6. You can see the difference in design between 5 & 6.

I was then involved in the refurbishment of berth 2 & 7 as a consultant in 2014/2015.

Berth 5 is no longer in use.

Edited by crechbleiz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Crechbleiz.  Is the disused Berth 5 still the original 1979/80 one?

3 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Thanks Crechbleiz.  Is the disused Berth 5 still the original 1979/80 one?

Yes indeed

4 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Is there any particular reason Berth 5 is no longer used?

As far as I can remember Berth 5 is now too narrow for most current ships. Berth 6 does not have such a restriction since her dolphin had been modified to accomodate a wider berth even before the new one was built.

Back in 2013 Berth 5 already saw very little use with calls from mostly the MV Nord Pas de Calais and the infamous Joline ( alive cattle transporter). One could instantly guess the Joline was in the port when greeted by hoards of activists at the roundabouts and at the top of the cliffs screaming...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, crechbleiz said:

As far as I can remember Berth 5 is now too narrow for most current ships. Berth 6 does not have such a restriction since her dolphin had been modified to accomodate a wider berth even before the new one was built.

Back in 2013 Berth 5 already saw very little use with calls from mostly the MV Nord Pas de Calais and the infamous Joline ( alive cattle transporter). One could instantly guess the Joline was in the port when greeted by hoards of activists at the roundabouts and at the top of the cliffs screaming...

Berth 5 was also used by 'Deal Seaways' better known as 'Barfleur'

Berth 5 was originally built, alongside Berth 6, for the 1979/1980 revamp of the tonnage used on the Calais route.  Berth 6 was Sealink’s, and Berth 5 was the base for TT’s Blue Riband trio.  I have a lovely 1983 photo of HoFE, taken from an inbound FE6, sitting at that berth, pristine and fresh out of overhaul, with a snowy easter backdrop that said “look what it’s been doing here while you’ve been away”!

Berth 5 was too small for the Chunnel Beaters, and by then Berth 3 had been redeveloped for them, so when PoD entered service the TT base essentially switched to Berth 3.  I guess the RMT service (which was still using Dover at that time and which was the traditional occupant of Berth 3) must have moved across to Berth 5 in lieu.

Looking at the 1976 photo that was published earlier, it is difficult to imagine how Dover ED would have coped with just the four berths before 5 and 6 were built.  Maybe the Ostend and Zeebrugge routes shared a berth back then? (Their timings, interweaving with each other, would certainly have made that possible).

• Thanks 1