Sign in to follow this  
TonyMWeaver

2019 Results

On Tuesday May 5, 2020, Brittany Ferries presented its 2019 results to its shareholders at a General Meeting. They bear witness to the decisive role that the Company plays in the economic and tourist development of the Normandy, Brittany, Pays-de-la-Loire and New Aquitaine regions.

Jean-Marc Roué, President of Brittany Ferries , recalled that the history of Brittany Ferries is intrinsically linked to that of the regions it serves, on a lasting basis, since its foundation.
 In this period of unprecedented health crisis, Brittany Ferries returns to its origins by ensuring the transport of essential goods between countries, such as foodstuffs produced in the Great West (especially fruits and vegetables), medicines and equipment medical. It does not remain about it less - and one cannot forget it - that the tourist activity which we carry each year contributes significantly to the development of the regions of the northwest of the Hexagon ”.

The tourism generated by the hundreds of thousands of British and Irish travelers that we transport is essential to the tourism and economic development of the territories. Much more than a simple transporter, we are stakeholders in the development of the tourism industry. In short, we are without question creators of wealth for communities and for the State. It is almost 600 million euros that our customers spend on the national territory each year, 100 million of which go to the state budget for VAT . ”

Before the health crisis, Brittany Ferries operated a fleet of 12 ships on 12 shipping lines connecting France, the United Kingdom, Ireland and Spain. Passenger traffic is interrupted in Europe and the borders are closed.

Since March 19, the Company has only transported freight with 5 ships ensuring the shipping lines of Caen / Portsmouth, Cherbourg / Portsmouth, Santander / Portsmouth, Bilbao / Poole and Bilbao / Rosslare.

Key figures

For the 2019 financial year, Brittany Ferries generated a turnover of 469 million euros and welcomed 2.49 million travelers on board its ships, a decrease of 4.9% compared to the results for 2018 .

Nearly 866,000 passenger vehicles were transported, down 5% from the previous year. Freight fell slightly by 1.9% with 202,000 vehicles transported.

Freight and passenger volumes notably suffered from the uncertainties generated by the three successive Brexit postponements.

Line traffic

PASSENGERS 2017-2018 2018-2019 %
Roscoff - Plymouth 369,605 328 133 11.2
St Malo - Portsmouth 349,002 325 198 -6.8
Cherbourg - Poole 211 545 207,831 -1.8
Cherbourg - Portsmouth 166,910 143,506 -14
Caen - Portsmouth 929 929 914,380 -1.7
Le Havre - Portsmouth 145,524 157,814 8.4
Handle 2,172,515 2,076,862 -4.4
Roscoff - Cork 97 174 94,767  -2.5
Great Britain - Spain * 358,272 326,725 -8.8
Total all lines / Total all routes 2,627,961 2,498,354  -4.9
  * Included cruises

TOURISM VEHICLES 2017-2018 2018-2019 %
Roscoff - Plymouth 125,639 111,806 -11
St Malo - Portsmouth 125 577 116,800 -7
Cherbourg - Poole 79,049 80 203 1.5
Cherbourg - Portsmouth 53,415 44,625 -16.5
Caen - Portsmouth 283,738 277,055 -2.4
Le Havre - Portsmouth 51 953 59,262 14.1
Handle 719,371 689,751 -4.1
Roscoff - Cork 28,493 28,988 1.7
Great Britain - Spain * UK-Spain * 163,564 147,250 -10
Total all lines 911,428 865 989 -5
  * Included cruises

INDUSTRIAL VEHICLES 2017-2018 2018-2019 %
Roscoff - Plymouth 4,994 4,787 -4.1
St Malo - Portsmouth 9,596 9,450 -1.5
Cherbourg - Poole 18,054 19,499 8
Cherbourg - Portsmouth 550 313 -43.1
Caen - Portsmouth 100,265 101,220 1
Le Havre - Portsmouth 30,962 23,255 -24.9
Handle 164,421 158,524  -3.6
Roscoff - Cork 1,059 1,357 28.1
Great Britain - Spain UK-Spain 39,921 41,673 4.4
Total all lines 205 401 201 554 -1.9

Since the launch of its tour operator activity 42 years ago (1978), the Compagnie bretonne has contributed significantly to the economic development of the French regions it serves. Very early on, it registered as a major tourist operator for all of the communities concerned, opening them up to British and Irish tourism. Brittany Ferries, actor and partner of the tourist and economic development of the regions

With its Atalante center in Saint-Malo, which promotes the Destination France, Brittany Ferries has supported - as it has for several years already - the State and local authorities in their policies of tourist attractiveness, offering the most extensive ranges of accommodation in the market for British and Irish travelers.

In 2019, 857,000 Brittany Ferries travelers spent more than 586 million euros in France with the booking of 8.7 million overnight stays in hotels, lodges, campsites and holiday residences.

In Brittany, where the Company's head office is located, there was a slight drop in traffic with 282,000 Brittany Ferries travelers. The drop of 13,000 visitors since 2018 is due, among other reasons, to the climate of uncertainty linked to Brexit for Britons representing 85% of total traffic. Brittany Ferries travelers spent 151 million euros in 2019, or 2.2 million nights.

Normandy also suffered from a drop in attendance with 203,000 visitors. However, the latter generated a total expenditure of 74 million euros in 2019 (compared to 219,000 visitors for an expenditure of 78 million euros in 2018).

The Pays-de-la-Loire recorded a notable increase in 2019, going from 143,000 to 162,000 visitors. Brittany Ferries travelers spent 90 million euros there in 2019, or 1.3 million nights.
New Aquitaine is finally consolidating its tourist appeal with Brittany Ferries travelers, with 230,000 visitors, 2.4 million overnight stays and more than 160 million euros spent.

The continuous devaluation of the British Pound against the Euro since 2016, the referendum year of Brexit, continues to impact the purchasing power of the British. It also makes their vacation budget in these four regions served by the Company even more difficult.

2020: a year of challenges for Brittany Ferries

The United Kingdom left the European Union on January 31, 2020. A new transitional period has opened for 11 months in order to reach an agreement on the future relationship. This departure represents an additional challenge for Brittany Ferries, already exposed to the COVID 19 crisis. Everything could change on 31 December 2020. If no agreement is reached, the United Kingdom would be subject to the rules of the World Trade Organization involving the payment of customs duties and the strengthening of customs controls.

Brittany Ferries must therefore simultaneously anticipate its offer to its British customers for the After Brexit, but also reinforce the attractiveness registered with the Irish public. " From the United Kingdom to Ireland to the Norman and Breton ports, people and goods must be able to move freely so that we can recover from the current crisis. This is our major objective as we approach the 2021 season , ”insists Jean-Marc Roué .

To maintain its attractiveness, the Company maintains the fleet renewal plan it started in 2017. It is a victorious challenge to confirm the order of new vessels during this difficult period for all tourist operators.

Four ferries are indeed expected:

• Galicia (United Kingdom / Spain) whose delivery is scheduled for July for entry into service in November 2020;
  • The Honfleur (France / United Kingdom) whose delivery is delayed: the COVID 19 health crisis has exacerbated the financial difficulties of the FSG project. The latter is in receivership and its refinancing is in the process of being found;
  • The Salamanca (United Kingdom / Spain), where the keel was laid in April 2020;
  • The Santoña (United Kingdom / Spain) whose entry into service is still scheduled for 2023.

Three of them will be powered by Liquid Natural Gas (LNG), thus reaffirming the Company's entry into the era of energy transition.

We have invested in our fleet, in the quality of its renewal. And we have made a clear commitment to the regions we serve, ”said Christophe Mathieu, Chairman of the Management Board . "We have weathered many storms in our 47-year history and are now prepared for the future. I am convinced, we will soon resume passenger crossings, I hope this summer season. All the necessary sanitary measures will be implemented, both in our ferry terminals and on board our ships, in order to welcome passengers in the best conditions as soon as they can travel again! Especially since, facing our air and rail competitors, our ferries constitute, by far, the mode of transport most suited to the rules of social and health distancing to cross the Channel! "

Finally, Jean-Marc Roué has shown confidence in his shareholders with regard to the support that the Public Authorities will bring to the French Pavilion and to his Company during this health, economic and social crisis: “ On the last day of my shipowners' presidency of France, last April, I myself called our leaders to launch a Marshall Plan for French shipping. The Government began to respond to us with a first aid system for the Channel. We will also apply for the provisions of the Specific Plan for the Tourism Industry announced by the President of the Republic. First employer of French sailors, I will be able to fight to defend Brittany Ferries and the model which it embodies! "

Brittany Ferries in a few figures

French company. 1st employer of French sailors. Between 2,400 and 3,100 employees depending on seasonality (including 2,000 sailors). Turnover: 469 million euros / year. 2.49 million passengers, 85% of whom are British. 866,000 cars. 202,000 trucks. 6,000 indirect jobs. 12 ships. 12 maritime routes served between France, the United Kingdom, Ireland and Spain. 12 ports: Roscoff, Saint-Malo, Cherbourg, Caen-Ouistreham, Le Havre, Plymouth, Poole, Portsmouth, Cork, Rosslare, Santander, Bilbao.

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/2020-une-annee-de-defis-pour-brittany-ferries/

• Like 2

Oops! Roscoff -Plymouth carries less passengers but that equals an 11% increase!

Get me the name of their accountant. Love it.

Stu

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, straightfeed said:

Oops! Roscoff -Plymouth carries less passengers but that equals an 11% increase!

Get me the name of their accountant. Love it.

Stu

That'll be the same accountant who spent the previous day helping them inventary all the bottles of alcohol on board Armorique. Ed

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

That'll be the same accountant who spent the previous day helping them inventary all the bottles of alcohol on board Armorique. Ed

In my early heady daze when flying for Big Airways we had been allocated an African route in exchange for one of our prosperous routes under  Mrs T's reign. Took the company ages to realise the bar uplift was double the previous airlines! Hic

Stu (you haven't seen me right?)

35 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

In the original press-release the figure clearly appears as "-11%". For some reason Google-translate (or whatever Tony used) decided to remove the negative symbol. 

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/2020-une-annee-de-defis-pour-brittany-ferries/

Ed

If Google Translate was good enough, companies would not have to pay for expensive translators !

• Like 1

I'm not that expensive. If BF want their press releases translated they can PM me via this site. The same goes for their menus etc.😉 Ed. 

• Haha 5

I don't understand why it was on French originally anyway, but yes, Google Translate isn't that good. Maybe an admin can edit the 11%?

23 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I don't understand why it was on French originally anyway, but yes, Google Translate isn't that good. Maybe an admin can edit the 11%?

Maybe because it’s a French company 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 3

I think many a hotel and pension owner in Northern Spain would also agree about economics benefits which BF brings to their regions in tourism revenue judging by the amount of UK-registered motorbikes parked outside during the summer months. But Roué seems to be downplaying the benefits Spain gets from BF operations!

• Like 1

My all time favourite was back when the Univers in St Malo did restaurant. "Burnt out steak" was their translation of steak grillé .... Seems the dictionary for grillé had a sense of burn out, from work or stress.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Maybe because it’s a French company 🤷‍♂️ 

Press Releases are normally written in English.

Whilst this was published in the press release section, it looks to be a report to an AGM and that will be in French ! It is not really aimed at their customers

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:
  • Galicia (United Kingdom / Spain) whose delivery is scheduled for July for entry into service in November 2020;
  • The Honfleur (France / United Kingdom) whose delivery is delayed: the COVID 19 health crisis has exacerbated the financial difficulties of the FSG project. The latter is in receivership and its refinancing is in the process of being found;
  • The Salamanca (United Kingdom / Spain), where the keel was laid in April 2020;
  • The Santoña (United Kingdom / Spain) whose entry into service is still scheduled for 2023.

Galicia's timeframe of an overall 22 months (keel laying ceremony was 16th Jan 2019 the day Estrid was floated out) suggests to me that Salamanca will arrive during February of 2022.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Which would indicate that Santona won't have a keel laying until 2021. There's the two 240m variants for Stena first. One of which I think is destined for Rosslare as the berth furthest from the harbour entrance, can't remember the number, is being extended to accommodate 240m vessels. It can already berth an E-flexer or one of the extended Visentini's.

Edited by jonno

Are you sure that the Salamanca keel was only started last month Tony?

I am sure I read it was before that...

For interest, and the detail for those who can read French, see below. SICA de St Pol de Léon turnover up 14% in 2019, best result for years. Shallots were the biggest gainer, with strawberries and coloured cauliflowers down, the former due to poor crop volumes.

https://www.ouest-france.fr/economie/agriculture/agriculture-une-annee-record-pour-la-cooperative-de-legumes-sica-saint-pol-6870989

For those not aware, these people effectively founded BF and are still very much involved. Both BF Chairmen were/are members.

30 minutes ago, colin said:

Shallots were the biggest gainer,

Nice, but probably not quite as eye-watering as the bill for PA's engine!

I'm still unable to find the actual financial results for last year. We have the passenger figures but not the turnover etc. Colin, isn't there some rule that in France you have to publish those figures by July? 

Ed.