Sign in to follow this  
Fine Whine

Cruise Ships in the Solent

After several weeks trundling up and down the English Channel with no passengers even up to the Irish Sea, Cruise Companies seem to have finally hatched a plan and let their vessels remain at anchorage off the south coast. If anybody lives near Weymouth and has a camera, or better still a drone, there are fantastic never to be repeated (we hope) photo opportunites to be had with Cunard's QM2 and Aurora, Oceana, Arcadia and Ventura from the P&O fleet clustered together no more than a mile off shore.

4 Marella ships (Celebration, Discovery, Explorer 1 &, 2), Silver Cloud and Ocean Diamond are similarly anchored off Shanklin I-O-W. if anyone lives there.

Chris

• Like 2

Alongside in the bassin Vauban rather than at anchor. We are "deconfined" Monday and I have to go and take photos of a yacht for sale, ashore in the inner basin, so I will try to snap those two as I go past.

• Thanks 1

Fred Olsen's cruise ships Braemar, Balmoral, Black Watch and Boudicca are in the Firth of Forth just off the East Lothian Coast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cruise Ships in Tilbury Docks /SPIRIT OF DISCOVERY-.VASCO DA GAMA-. SAGA SAPPHIRE.- VIKING STAR. -COLUMBUS.- MAGELLAN. -ASTORIA and EUROPEAN SEAWAY

Posted (edited)

There are comments on the Marella ships in Sandown Bay under ‘Cruise ships start to be culled’ thread under News.

It is indeed a completely unprecedented sight - and sound, as on the recent dead calm days it’s been possible to hear their emergency drills, even though they’re 2-3 miles offshore.

They also periodically go for a spin south of the island. Others will know better than me what for - emptying ballast?

The coastguard helicopter carried out a medevac from Discovery 2 on Thursday. Apparently a crew member fell in from a support boat alongside and gouged his leg on a propellor (presumably the support boat’s, not Discovery’s). Was taken off to hospital in Southampton.

Edited by Hermit
Misspelt Marella

P & O and Cunard seem to be sending theirs to anchor in Weymouth Bay..So far there is the Queen Mary 2, Aurora,Arcadia and Oceana there. Even Avonmouth has the Marco Polo laid up there..Tankers by the score are laid up at anchor all over the south coast `awaiting orders` as are various car carriers. Some though have gone to a cold lay up in the River Fal upstream from Falmouth. Marella seem to have laid up their Marella  Discovery in Cape Town for the time being. Getting a bit full at the Nab I suppose.

Most have cancelled cruises until July/August at least...sad sight nevertheless

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Paully said:

Most have cancelled cruises until July/August at least...sad sight nevertheless

At least for the rest of the year 

You would assume that there won’t be much cruise activity until they get the population vaccinated I think after care homes cruise ships must be  the biggest hot beds of virus transmission.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

You would assume that there won’t be much cruise activity until they get the population vaccinated I think after care homes cruise ships must be  the biggest hot beds of virus transmission.

I quite agree Neil, been reading through social media reports of past cruises and its frightening how many report illness/virus/coughs etc as just being routine on these things. Its also noticeable how many are refusing to go now without insurance cover. I think the `strong advance bookings` are those who have laid out mega bucks and re scheduled..Reminds me of Dirty Harry.....ask yourself do I feel lucky??

Posted (edited)

My experience too Paully, indeed Mrs M and I crossed them off the list a couple of years ago after a number of well publicised Norovirus incidents. (Perspective on current panic - Norovirus kills 200,000 a year as well as making all sufferers feel like death warmed up!)   Indeed I saw them, cruise ships, once described by a medic as 'floating petri dishes'! But in reality they are no different to anywhere where a random group of strangers are brought together in close communal quarters - like schools.  With the added piquancy, of course,  that anybody who has laid out big bucks will still travel even if they do feel a bit (or a lot) under the weather.  

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, neilcvx said:

after care homes cruise ships must be the biggest concentration of the elderly

Carnival have apparently had a surge in bookings. It feels a little early for anybody to know what's happening. I can't help think it's a disaster waiting to happen https://thewinglet.boardingarea.com/carnival-cruise-bookings-surge-600-after-announcing-august-relaunch

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, penguin said:

after care homes cruise ships must be the biggest concentration of the elderly

Carnival have apparently had a surge in bookings. It feels a little early for anybody to know what's happening. I can't help think it's a disaster waiting to happen https://thewinglet.boardingarea.com/carnival-cruise-bookings-surge-600-after-announcing-august-relaunch

Carnival have a mainly American clientele don’t they?

• Haha 2

Marella have positioned the Discovery up from Capetown now. Is due to call at Las Palmas on the 24th for bunkers, stores and water then presumably make for Southampton as well..Hamburg and Rotterdam are getting full of cruise ships as well..

Manila in the Phillipines has one of the largest concentrations of cruise ships at anchor, 23 at last count, including the Queen Elizabeth.

• Thanks 1

And, around the corner at Olongapo is Stena RoRo's latest acquisition, the Stena Nova ex. Yamato, at anchor. One would assume awaiting dry dock prior to making passage to 'somewhere' in Europe.  

There have been couple of cruise ships call into Portsmouth for crew repatriations too - some pics attached.

Ocean Diamond.jpeg

Viking Sea.jpeg

• Like 5