kenw

No quarantine for UK-France travellers

8 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

The republic of Ireland is part of our common travel area so (back to the Irish border issue) it's impossible to realistically enforce anything on the island of Ireland given how integrated especially border communities are. Then it would also be distinctly politically unpalatable to enforce something between Northern Ireland's and Great Britain. 

It comes back to the whole Irish problem, they want to be independent of the UK but want free travel etc.  Geography says that they have to be dependent on the UK to a certain extent.  As for the North we know at some point it will be united with the South might not be for a while but it will happen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I got an answer from BF in a tweet:

Hello, we are currently dealing with customers cancelled over the next few weeks but we expect to have more information regarding sailings up until 15th June very soon ^JE

Ed

If the idea is that the 14 day quarantine period is intended to apply to sea travel as well as air travel (even though that hasn’t yet been stated) then I can see that making travel from France an exception makes some sense on pragmatic grounds.  Given that it is possible to travel from France to the UK via Ireland, and therefore without quarantine restrictions, there is no real point in applying them to passengers that route directly either.

If, however, the agreement with France specifically covers air travel from France to UK (because sea travel is not part of the quarantine plan anyway) then it does seem to be a bit arbitrary.  I presume that singling out air travel must be something to do with being cooped up in an aeroplane, breathing recycled air (?) - on which case it surely hardly matters where the plane has come from.

32 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Well, I'm still waiting for BF to reply to my tweet and explain the situation. Having lived in Fance for 20 years I can smell disingenuous claptrap at a long range. However, I normally expect it to come from civil servants, not from a company I pay good money to. If sailings start on 2nd June I'll certainly apologise to BF on Twitter and here too if necessary but shall expect the French government to say why they are backtracking on their stated restrictions. Ed

I see you got your reply without resorting to Klingon, mind you they understand that as they Klingon to our money !

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, David Williams said:

as they Klingon to our money

You stole my joke!  I was going for 'Klingon to hope' or something similar. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Gareth said:

If, however, the agreement with France specifically covers air travel from France to UK (because sea travel is not part of the quarantine plan anyway) then it does seem to be a bit arbitrary.  I presume that singling out air travel must be something to do with being cooped up in an aeroplane, breathing recycled air (?) - on which case it surely hardly matters where the plane has come from.

I suspect that the recent Bi Lateral between Macron and Boris may have as much to do with `pragmatic politics` as anything else. If it remains that only air travel will be so scrutenised, then you may well have hit the nail on the head. Aircraft use the `Bleed Air System` whereby fresh air is warmed via the engines and pushed into the cabin, then re circulated a few times before being changed. Its thrown up and mixed up some real nasties over the years, so I can see their point. The only in service exceptions to this are the Boeing 787 and the Airbus A350, both of whom constantly draw fresh air into the cabin from outside....the ferries are a different ball game.  

• Like 1

Not many 787s or A350s plying the France - UK routes! 🤣

40 minutes ago, Solo said:

It comes back to the whole Irish problem, they want to be independent of the UK but want free travel etc.  Geography says that they have to be dependent on the UK to a certain extent. 

I don't think it needs to be framed it in a paternalistic way, both the UK and the ROI citizens on Ireland are dependent on each other and obviously trying to close that border is almost impossible at the best of times. Free travel is required for day to day life on both sides.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Chef said:

So if travel restrictions between EU countries were to be relaxed lets say between France and Ireland , would that then create a corridor for UK citizens to use to travel to or from  the UK via Ireland or  Northern Ireland . 

Indeed.  And a similar concerns are being raised in Ireland.  Throughout Covid-19 Irish Ferries have continued to accept passengers on UK-Ireland and France-Ireland routes.  On arrival in Ireland incoming passengers, regardless of nationality, are supposed to self isolate for 14 days, and provide contact details for follow-up calls from the health authorities.  Between about a quarter and a third of incoming passengers are declining to provide contact details.  Many are believed to be transiting through Ireland to Northern Ireland.  Legislation may be needed to strengthen the rules.      

According to the BF site, we are due an update this evening which might shed more light on what they are planning. Ed

20 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

According to the BF site, we are due an update this evening which might shed more light on what they are planning. Ed

I have a cunning plan said Baldrick (Roue)🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gareth said:

I wonder if the idea of a shuttle service to Cherbourg, using the whole French fleet, might have some mileage

Just transfer them all to Dover / Calais ?!1😁

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

My grandfather did in June 1944 and said the welcome left a little to be desired. Ed. 

Mine was kicking back on a Dido-class Cruiser, watching, but he confirmed this to the the case

3 hours ago, Gardian said:

Thanks gentlemen.

No logic to it though eh?   

As is doing any of this several weeks after it could have been of use!

Is it strange to think that this agreement between UK and France apparently doesn't apply to (British) Gibraltar where no deaths have yet occurred associated with Covid19 ?

29 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

Is it strange to think that this agreement between UK and France apparently doesn't apply to (British) Gibraltar where no deaths have yet occurred associated with Covid19 ?

Not really.  There aren't any direct flights between Gibraltar and France.  

Just now, Buzzbee said:

Not really.  There aren't any direct flights between Gibraltar and France.  

thinking more UK/Gib

Just now, Manxscorpio said:

thinking more UK/Gib

Apologies. I misunderstood.  Yes, passengers arriving into the UK from Gibraltar should be treated the same as those from the Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey etc. and not have to quarantine.

3 minutes ago, Buzzbee said:

Apologies. I misunderstood.  Yes, passengers arriving into the UK from Gibraltar should be treated the same as those from the Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey etc. and not have to quarantine.

Agreed they should be treated the same but unfortunately have to spend 14 days in quarantine.

2 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

Agreed they should be treated the same but unfortunately have to spend 14 days in quarantine.

But wouldn't people going from mainland Britain to Man have to quarantine too?  Has your government not agreed to waive that requirement? Ed. 

1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:

But wouldn't people going from mainland Britain to Man have to quarantine too?  Has your government not agreed to waive that requirement? Ed. 

At present IOM is in lockdown only allowing key workers and returning residents into the Island. This is similar to Gibraltar at this point in time however I understand that the UK/Ireland/French quarantine agreement is really to apply to tourism ? I can travel to UK without spending 14 days in quarantine - but Gibraltarians cannot

OK. How 'closed' is Gib's border with Spain right now? That might be the issue.

And what happens when you get back to Man? Do you then have to go into quarantine for a fortnight too? Ed. 

Gibraltar allows key workers to enter from Spain with a letter of authority. These are mainly NHS and key workers living in Spain. The problem that Gibraltarians have is that a visit to UK to see family or friends is not a viable proposition as a future two week holiday to the UK would be spent in quarantine which will not apply to the French or Irish 😏

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/05/10/british-ex-pats-on-spains-costa-del-sol-and-gibraltar-angry-over-uks-decision-to-force-14-day-quarantine-on-arrivals-as-ba-threatens-to-cancel-flights/

• Thanks 1

The BF updates page has been 'updated' to say that there is no real 'new' news except to confirm that the quarantine rules will not concern those travelling between France and the UK. The only other thing I can discern is that it must be raining in Brittany as the boss has changed his profile photo, moving from his terrace into his living room. Ed. 

• Haha 3

It'll be interesting for Eurostar... in theory, a train coming back from Brussels that stops at Lille would end up with a mix of passengers who would need to quarantine and passengers who wouldn't.

• Haha 2