kenw

No quarantine for UK-France travellers

2 hours ago, Manxscorpio said:
2 hours ago, Manxscorpio said:

The problem that Gibraltarians have is that a visit to UK to see family or friends is not a viable proposition as a future two week holiday to the UK would be spent in quarantine which will not apply to the French or Irish 

It applies to travellers from from France and Ireland  regardless of their nationality .

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Jim said:

It'll be interesting for Eurostar... in theory, a train coming back from Brussels that stops at Lille would end up with a mix of passengers who would need to quarantine and passengers who wouldn't.

I suspect that Belgium and Netherlands will soon be on the "exempt" list ... so catch your long distance flight into Schipol and catch the train ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, kenw said:

Do they know something we don't?

Just seen this on the update page of Twisto [the Caen agglo bus operator]

I don't think anyone needs me to provide a translation.

For those not familiar with Ouistreham, the Maritime Express is the bus link from Caen rail station to the ferry.

AIUI the service is supported / subsidised either by BF or the port authority, although I can't recall where that info [?] comes from. 

In any case, I can't imagine the bus co announcing a service with no customers.

It serves the daytime arrivals and departures, but not the evening sailing. So those of us wanting to travel overnight have three choices:

between €30-40 for a taxi 

getting the regular bus to the stop by the fish market – arriving, from memory about 18h40 – and either

• enjoying beer and pizza at one of the local restaurants before walking up to the ferry OR
  • heading straight to the ferry terminal for a long wait with a good book

I have used the  12 route (formerly 61) departing at 20:10 from Gare SNCF arriving in Ouistreham at 20:41, Monday to Saturdays. On Friday there is an additional departure at 21:10 arriving at 21:41. Ther are even later services on Fridays/Saturdays but one would miss the ferry if those were used! With regards to the Gare Maritim Express I have had a minibus turn up on it in the summer and it was packed to the brim, in the winter it was a full size bus and was one of two passengers. 

Route 12 Timetable: https://tim.twisto.fr/tim/data/pdf/1908_12.pdf

1 hour ago, Jim said:

It'll be interesting for Eurostar... in theory, a train coming back from Brussels that stops at Lille would end up with a mix of passengers who would need to quarantine and passengers who wouldn't.

They won't need temperature scanners at St Pancras. They'll need guilty-expression detectors instead. Ed. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim said:

So, has it been established then that this quarantine requirement applies beyond arrival by air?

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

But wouldn't people going from mainland Britain to Man have to quarantine too?  Has your government not agreed to waive that requirement? Ed. 

If you come to Guernsey from the UK you have to quarantine for 14 days. In effect it means we now have zero non essential travel in or out. We're in phase 2 of 6 phases in Guernsey. Also indoor bars and cafes will most likely open in phase 5 before UK border opens. We have also no new covid cases for 10 days so things going well here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gareth said:

So, has it been established then that this quarantine requirement applies beyond arrival by air?

I believe I saw something onthe BBC that said a government official confirmed it to be sea and trains as well

1 hour ago, Nick Hyde said:

If you come to Guernsey from the UK you have to quarantine for 14 days. In effect it means we now have zero non essential travel in or out. We're in phase 2 of 6 phases in Guernsey. Also indoor bars and cafes will most likely open in phase 5 before UK border opens. We have also no new covid cases for 10 days so things going well here.

Yes that's great news Nick however no quarantine of 14 days for you guys in C.I travelling into UK - unlike the Brits travelling from Gib to UK .......

I believe I saw something onthe BBC that said a government official confirmed it to be sea and trains as well

The official document simpl;y refers to international arrivals outside the common travel zone despite the impression given earlier that it applied to air travel only. More detailed guidance is promised.

1 hour ago, The Ferry Man said:

Although that does not include France. These from the BBC News website & GOV.UK.

In its newly-published Covid-19 Recovery Strategy document, the government says quarantine measures for people arriving in the UK will be introduced "as soon as possible".

If international travellers cannot say where they plan to self-isolate, then they will do so in accommodation arranged by the government.

The rules will not just apply to air passengers, but also those arriving by other means of travel such as ferry or train as well.

There will be some exemptions from quarantine for international travellers, including people arriving from the Republic of Ireland as part of the Common Travel Area.

The government has already said in a separate statement (below) that travellers from France would be exempt from any quarantine rules.

...and this.

The Prime Minister and President Macron spoke today.

They stressed the need for close bilateral, European and international cooperation in the fight against Covid-19.

The leaders spoke about the need to manage the risk of new transmissions arising from abroad, as the rate of coronavirus decreases domestically.

In this regard, the Prime Minister and the President agreed to work together in taking forward appropriate border measures. This cooperation is particularly necessary for the management of our common border.

No quarantine measures would apply to travellers coming from France at this stage; any measures on either side would be taken in a concerted and reciprocal manner. A working group between the two governments will be set up to ensure this consultation throughout the coming weeks.

• Thanks 1

There is also this from the inews.co.uk website.

The two leaders have agreed to work together on the consultation over the coming weeks, indicating a reciprocal agreement allowing British nationals to enter France without the need to quarantine once borders reopen, nor the need to quarantine on their return home.The relaxation of France’s lockdown measures begin from today, with intra-regional travel now permitted. However, French borders remain closed unless arrivals are able to prove residency in France or the EU and that their journey is essential. A Certificate for International Travel must be completed prior to arrival, although British nationals are not required to quarantine at present.

In accordance with new measures introduced in France, Eurostar and Air France have made it a requirement for all passengers to wear face masks at stations, airports and on board trains and planes. Air France will begin to implement temperature checks on all departing flights.

The CEO of Brittany Ferries, Christophe Mathieu, has spoken of “feeling increasingly optimistic about the coming months.” In an open letter to Brittany Ferries customers, he said: “Summer is on its way, evenings are lengthening and we are working on plans to make our way out of a uniquely challenging period in our 47 year history.” Driving holidays and ferry travel could benefit from holidaymakers who wish to avoid travelling through airports and by plane.

Posted (edited)

Bus links from Caen Gare SNCF

P&T is quite correct in that Bus 12 has a 20h10 departure from Caen which would be in time for the overnight ferry.

Not recommended in winter, when it's a walk in the dark up to the terminal. Personally I'd wiped that departure from memory after an autumn trip meant that I was very cold and very wet by the time I limped into the ferry terminal, then a queue at check-in to discover no cabins left – and hot food finished for the evening at the café.

Fortunately Mont's Blue Note bar was open late, providing warmth in the shape of Calvados and whatever the red wine was on offer. Just don't ask about the next day's breakfast meeting!

Edited by kenw
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Manxscorpio said:

Yes that's great news Nick however no quarantine of 14 days for you guys in C.I travelling into UK - unlike the Brits travelling from Gib to UK .......

Yep you're right just on the return back to Guernsey.

12 hours ago, Nick Hyde said:

Yep you're right just on the return back to Guernsey.

Do you, or does anyone else yet know what restrictions would apply to yachts and their crews arriving from France in Jersey? I am assuming that what you have indicated above applies to Guernsey arrivals. The 100 km limit theoretically takes in Jersey from St Malo etc, and Some ports like St Quay Portrieux, Paimpol and Bréhat are just about in reach of Guernsey.

We should be allowed to "go boating" as of yesterday, once access to ports and marinas has been clarified. The original suggestion of no stop overs in ports other than your home port, was dropped from the final text.

Sorry Colin don't know the full details for Jersey as a totally separate jurisdiction to Guernsey. What I do know is that yachts external to Guernsey are definitely NOT allowed to visit the island.

Thanks Nick. We are all trying to get a grip on what is and is not possible in these next weeks.

On 12/05/2020 at 10:33, colin said:

Do you, or does anyone else yet know what restrictions would apply to yachts and their crews arriving from France in Jersey? I am assuming that what you have indicated above applies to Guernsey arrivals. The 100 km limit theoretically takes in Jersey from St Malo etc, and Some ports like St Quay Portrieux, Paimpol and Bréhat are just about in reach of Guernsey.

We should be allowed to "go boating" as of yesterday, once access to ports and marinas has been clarified. The original suggestion of no stop overs in ports other than your home port, was dropped from the final text.

This is an extract from gov.je Level 3 and is valid from May 11th.

PUBLIC HEALTH POLICY Date Status Document Name Version Page 10 May 2020 Official Public health guidance – level 3 safe exit framework 1.0 Page 4 of 11 Travel

All forms of on-island transport (buses and taxis) are permitted, with strict physical distancing and hygiene standards maintained. Hand sanitiser should be available and prominent on public transport. You are discouraged from ride sharing in private vehicles with people you don’t live with.

Travel on and off-island is currently limited to essential travel. Upon arrival into Jersey, people must isolate for 14 days unless government permission is granted. For details on the essential travel scheme and isolation requirements for arrivals into Jersey, please see gov.je. Information leaflets detailing travel and isolation policy requirements should be provided to all new arrivals at all entry ports, and hand sanitiser should be available and prominent.

This is the link to the full site.

https://www.gov.je/Health/Coronavirus/BusinessAndEmployment/Pages/CoronavirusBusinessAdvice.aspx

• Like 1

Thanks, I will pass that on.

This agreement baffles me a bit,we are still in the eu has of now.so if we allow people from France to come onto the uk without any quarantine surely this must applied to all European nations?or an I missing some thing?

6 minutes ago, nodwad said:

This agreement baffles me a bit,we are still in the eu has of now.so if we allow people from France to come onto the uk without any quarantine surely this must applied to all European nations?or an I missing some thing?

That was mentioned the French press this morning and I'm sure they are working out the exact details to be sure that the situation becomes clear for everyone. Ed. 

Government backtracks on French quarantine exemption

By Theo LeggettBusiness correspondent, BBC News
chunnelImage copyrightGETTY IMAGES

The government has denied that travellers from France will be exempted from the planned coronavirus quarantine measures.

Under the plans announced last weekend, people arriving from abroad must isolate themselves for two weeks.

Those with nowhere to stay will be obliged to isolate in accommodation provided by the authorities.

Initially, a joint statement from the British and French governments said no quarantine measures would apply.

"No quarantine measures would apply to travellers coming from France at this stage; any measures on either side would be taken in a concerted and reciprocal manner," says the statement, which was published on the government's website on 10 May.

"A working group between the two governments will be set up to ensure this consultation throughout the coming weeks."

The policy attracted a warning from the EU not to single out one nation, while some experts suggested it would prove unworkable.

Researchers exempt

But today, the prime minister's spokesman insisted there was no French exemption, and that the original statement referred to the need for cooperation to manage the common border between the two countries.

It now appears that those exempted from the policy could include freight drivers, in order to allow the flow of goods to continue, and people working on Covid-19 research, but not ordinary travellers.

The government had already indicated that people arriving from the Republic of Ireland will not be made to go into quarantine, an arrangement that will be unaffected by today's news.

However, the measures will apply to UK holidaymakers returning from other destinations.

In his address to the nation on Sunday, the prime minister said: "I am serving notice that it will soon be the time - with transmission significantly lower - to impose quarantine on people coming into this country by air."

The government later clarified that the rules would apply not just to air passengers, but also those arriving by other means of travel such as train or ferry.

Following Mr Johnson's speech, No 10 confirmed a reciprocal deal with the government in Paris meant restrictions would not apply to passengers from France, but that was ahead of today's apparent u-turn.

11 minutes ago, Millsy said:

Not very bright are they!

You’re too kind 

• Like 1

IQ of a plastic duck.....

Looks like it's just as well we booked two weeks in September, thats two weeks quarantine in our house then home for two weeks quarantine here....

Whats not to like?

R

• Like 2