kenw

No quarantine for UK-France travellers

2 hours ago, Stefeni said:

The government had already indicated that people arriving from the Republic of Ireland will not be made to go into quarantine, an arrangement that will be unaffected by today's news.

No decision yet on whether the Irish Government will reciprocate on this arrangement , there is concern about the increase in the UKs 'R' rate .

Lockdown here seems to have been fairly successful with very few new covid19 cases - shops opening on Monday with social distancing in force. No new passenger arrivals by air or sea and if one leaves the Island you cannot return. Seems a logical step.

16 hours ago, Chef said:

No decision yet on whether the Irish Government will reciprocate on this arrangement , there is concern about the increase in the UKs 'R' rate .

I wouldn't read too much into the 'R' number many of the SAGE advisers think in should be opposite, below 1 in care homes and that above 1 in the community is manageable. One of the leading members, a Professor in epidemiology and virology based in Edinburgh thinks they should be scrapped all together as they box you into a corner.

The NHS wasn't overwhelmed when it was 1.6.

Italy is opening it's borders on June 3rd and their R number is currently 0.8 which is what the highest regional figure is in the U.K today here in Yorkshire and they are roughly 17 days ahead of us. Considering how rapidly COVID spread in London and Birmingham their Reproduction figures are roughly 0.5 & 0.7 respectively.

1 hour ago, Manxscorpio said:

Lockdown here seems to have been fairly successful with very few new covid19 cases - shops opening on Monday with social distancing in force. No new passenger arrivals by air or sea and if one leaves the Island you cannot return. Seems a logical step.

Sensible action. New Zealand did much the same -closed the borders promptly and let no one in. Result a mere 21 deaths and things getting back to normal now. 

Strange really - in the space of a single sentence from the likes of unintentional wordsmiths at number 10, the whole of the 2020 season has gone from being potentially a great opportune and even saviour of the likes of Brittany Ferries, to perhaps a defining disaster. Very sad.

• Sad 1

Although I somehow think this story hasn’t yet run it’s full course hf_uk, crisis management comes to mind....

Chris

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Although I somehow think this story hasn’t yet run it’s full course hf_uk, crisis management comes to mind....

Chris

and a fair bit of fudge

Let's hope so anyway Chris... for a plethora of reasons :)

I fully expect changes of direction on an almost daily basis over the next month. Some are genuine, some are just floating possibilities to gauge public reaction before finally settling onto a firm policy. All we can really expect are further surprises.

• Like 1

And sabre rattling when Brexit talks are "not going well".

Send a gunboat, Lord Palmerston would say...

• Like 1

Send a gunboat, Lord Palmerston would say

We do send gunboats, they pick up all the tourists from France in rubber boats and land them safe and sound on British shores. No social distancing either!

• Haha 1

I would hope that the end result will be no quarantine for people travelling from Europe & I would trust that they are discussing that now - at one of the press conferences the deputy CMO said that the medical criteria was arrivals should be from a country with a lower R factor.

Re Brexit (which will probably rattle the mods cage) , who cares, the damage to the economy from Covid 19 dwarfs any Brexit issues, if we can reach an agreement good, if we can't fine !

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

This thread is about quarantine arrangements between the UK and France and is in the Discussions forum as a BF-related topic.  Please can posters keep their posts within the confines of the topic.

• Like 3

My feeling is that unless you have compelling reasons to travel to France by ferry as soon as possible I would put the idea on the back burner for the indefinite future.

There are simply too many imponderables at the moment not least of which is that infections and deaths are not coming down at anywhere near the rate the UK autthorities would like and there is a very real risk of another surge following the easing of restrictions.

If I go on holiday I want to enjoy myself. The 'holiday experience' is not enhanced by social distancing on transport,whether by ferry or plane, limitations on eating out and all the other restrictions which will accompany 'opening for business'. How on earth can you relax and enjoy yourself in those circumstances? You will be on tenterhooks all the time quite apart from any requirement to self isolate for two weeks on your return. And if you do catch the bug while abroad it doesn't bear thinking about.

Personally I prefer to confine my excursions to local day trips for the time being where I remain totally in control of my level of risk in terms of interacting with other people.Trying to maintain social distancing on a ferry, with all that entails in the cabins and restaurants etc. (even worse with air travel) is not conducive to a good holiday experience. And of course you need to stay up to date with all the rules and regulations affecting the region you are visiting.

Hopefully things will become clearer in the weeks and months to come but I think that realistically 2020 is a total write off as far as travelling abroad for pleasure is concerned despite people clinging on to the hope that it might, just might be possible.

• Like 6

It is completely unpredictable. I have a couple of bookings (July and September) which I am assigning probabilities of 50/50 and 70/30 at the moment, but if I have to park them as vouchers this year, so it goes, c'est la vie, I'm not going to lose sleep on it. I would quite like to get over to check the maison secondaire over, and I am quite reconciled to take the drain and a packed lunch if all else fails. I suspect that come Christmas it will all be behind us (like WW1)

Got my credit note for my crossing  in September don’t really fancy a trip with all the unpredictable factors involved. 

6 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

My feeling is that unless you have compelling reasons to travel to France by ferry as soon as possible I would put the idea on the back burner for the indefinite future.

There are simply too many imponderables at the moment not least of which is that infections and deaths are not coming down at anywhere near the rate the UK autthorities would like and there is a very real risk of another surge following the easing of restrictions.

If I go on holiday I want to enjoy myself. The 'holiday experience' is not enhanced by social distancing on transport,whether by ferry or plane, limitations on eating out and all the other restrictions which will accompany 'opening for business'. How on earth can you relax and enjoy yourself in those circumstances? You will be on tenterhooks all the time quite apart from any requirement to self isolate for two weeks on your return. And if you do catch the bug while abroad it doesn't bear thinking about.

Personally I prefer to confine my excursions to local day trips for the time being where I remain totally in control of my level of risk in terms of interacting with other people.Trying to maintain social distancing on a ferry, with all that entails in the cabins and restaurants etc. (even worse with air travel) is not conducive to a good holiday experience. And of course you need to stay up to date with all the rules and regulations affecting the region you are visiting.

Hopefully things will become clearer in the weeks and months to come but I think that realistically 2020 is a total write off as far as travelling abroad for pleasure is concerned despite people clinging on to the hope that it might, just might be possible.

I have to agree with you on this. We were booked on Bretagne on June 25th, returning on NEX on July 13th and initially our campsite put back its opening until June 29th, which we could have worked round, and then July 20th which we won't rearrange to. We have accepted that we won't be going abroad this year and I won't be rushing to replace the expired passport. We are fortunate that my in-laws have what amounts to a mobile home in the East Neuk and we will go there at some point and support the local businesses. We will use some of the money we save on not going to France to buy bikes (we moved house in Feb and are now in a town with a country park and lots of cycle tracks).

• Like 1

If I can get to Jersey or Guernsey using my Manche Iles Express voucher I'll certainly try and do so for a day trip or a night away but may have to wait for next year.

My BF voucher can be applied to a future crossing, perhaps in January next year when I need to get back to go to the theatre, assuming the rebooked performance actually goes ahead. 

If neither of those is possible then both will eventually result in a cash refund. 

For this summer my Easyjet flight to Nice is still going ahead for now as they are only cancelling 7 days at a time. I appear to have 3 options. 

1) take the flight as planned 

2) if the flight is cancelled by them, accept a voucher or refund 

3) if I don't feel confident taking the flight, or if we don't actually want to go, or if our Parisian friends are unable to make the trip due to circumstances beyond everyone's control, it appears that I'm able to transfer my booking to any other Easyjet service up to mid-May 2021 free of charge (Madeira next spring might be an option). That way, if we still want to go but not by plane, we keep the credit and simply drive down to the Med instead. 

I hope to get a clearer picture of what we are 'allowd' to do in a couple of week's time but may well have to wait until mid-July or later to find out what is actually feasible. 

Ed. 

42 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

It also depends who is still in business next year Ed!

True! The BF and MIE tickets both cost less than 100€ so will likely be written off if things go wrong. The Easyjet package including hire car was around 800€ so should be covered by my credit card protection. I hope it won't be necessary to go down that route.

Ed

There is a strong desire for coordination about the reopening of borders within the EU, and despite HM Gov posturing, this includes the UK. The issues are pretty clear, with public health the #1 priority, followed by the economic and social interconnection in today's world. Just how to best manage a careful and progressive exit from the very tight lock downs towards a safe and secure movement of people is a pretty tough subject. I was a little flippant above, simply because I feel that politics has no place in this.

Posted (edited)

It is certainly difficult striking a balance between acceptable public safety and the need to get economies restarted especially when there is so much uncertainty on rhw general characteristics of the virus.

I think the reality is that we need to wait a bit longer until the various scientific studies come up with a general consensus and there are encouraging signs that this will happen.

Of course the game changers will be firstly to develop an effective vaccine and secondly to come up with effective treatments for those people who do catch the virus so that they do not end up on ventilators with a poor prognosis.

We live in hope.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 2