I was just looking at ship brokerage website and found the two Zeebrugge Prides I believe listed there - the two 1987 179m boats.

What was more surprising was towards the top of the page there is a 2001 215m listing which matches the spec and cabin capacity for Pride of Rotterdam and Hull. I've never looked at this site before so not sure if this routine sort of stuff?

Screenshot_20210127-131943_Chrome.jpg

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t comment on crewing numbers as I don’t know them or what they are certified for at each capacity level. Seaway is about the maximum Larne can handle (she even overhangs slightly at Cairnryan

Are you sure it's not the Duke of York to the US prosecutor's office? Ed. 

Ferry travel was better in the early 80s when the Tor sisters were the best UK ferries in terms of comfort and class by a mile. Very sad to see where we are now with P&O.

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

I was just looking at ship brokerage website and found the two Zeebrugge Prides I believe listed there - the two 1987 179m boats.

What was more surprising was towards the top of the page there is a 2001 215m listing which matches the spec and cabin capacity for Pride of Rotterdam and Hull. I've never looked at this site before so not sure if this routine sort of stuff?

Screenshot_20210127-131943_Chrome.jpg

Wouldn`t suprise me in the least if the 2 remaining Hull ships were sold off/scrapped. Ever since Hull has been run by Dover they have wanted rid of it. I hope I`m wrong though.

• Sad 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see P&O abandon Hull altogether, but surely someone else would take on the Rotterdam operation? The ships and terminal are bespoke for the route. Of course these aren't exactly the best of times economically but still I would have thought the likes of DFDS or Stena might be interested, if they were allowed to that is. 

• Like 2

I had wondered if they were potentially looking to see if anyone wanted to buy them and then charter back? Only one boat is listed though. Maybe it's another vessel but the dimensions and cabin number do match. 

• Like 1

Although the 2 Rotterdam ships have large freight space, they also have large hotel accomodation and I think its this bit that P & O don`t want. Thats likely to be an unknown, with ongoing expense, for some time. I can see them, if they choose to remain at Hull, going for unaccompanied freight to the Continent. Maybe even retaining just one of the `Prides` to do it..We shall see in the fullness of time.

• Like 1

Many shipping companies offer their tonnage to brokers, the GNV ships have been advertised for years so too has Tallink's Silja Europa. Brokers never seem to remove the listings either once the company removes or sells them. The usual suspects found on a google search have lists which in some cases are years out of date.

@Tumnus2010 It would be interesting to know which site you where looking at?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

News on Facebook site that the King George Dock Terminal building in  Hull is to close this week, before decommissioning and deconstruction at a future date to make way for land storage areas. This is the terminal latterly used by Pride of York/Bruges, and Norland/Nortar in its heyday too. The main River Terminal building where the Rotterdam boats depart from is unaffected.  

• Sad 2

Obviously ABP are not expecting passenger sailings ever to depart from that dock ever again nor by any other operator. Very sad

Edited by Paully
  • Sad 1
35 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

Very sad indeed. What about cruise ships? Didn't they use that terminal as well? 

Not sure, but the constraint was always the width with the Bruges and York being specifically built to go through the lock. I guess ABP now want to concentrate on freight and by the sound of it unaccompanied/container at that

They did use some of the terminal for some cruise ships. Remember seeing a documentary where the cruise ships in Hull didn't appear to use the facilities though. It all appeared a bit Heath Robinson with one of the customs sheds being used for car parking and sorting luggage. There are plans for a "proper" cruise terminal on the Humber, that's positioned near The Deep and Victoria Dock. Apparently this is still on track for 2024. This would obviously give access to much larger tonnage than the ones that can access King George Dock. Hull is keen to be able to offer out coach trips to York and Nottingham to cruise trips. 

I can't help but think that if the second river berth had been completed at the ferry port, the options for Zeebrugge and the replacement of the ships might be a different story. Although I still think they'd need another passenger terminal, or a bus to load foot passengers on and off like BF do in places. 

• Like 3

So King George Dock, Hull, joins the long list of ferry ports from the heyday of ferries that are now not just disused but also dismantled and converted to other use.  Other examples:

Weymouth ferry port

Southampton Princess Alexandria Dock

Folkestone

Felixstowe original TT terminal

Zeebrugge original (inner) NSF terminal

Dunkerque East original train ferry berth

Dover Western Docks

Le Havre both original terminals

Dieppe original in-town terminal

Ostend ferry port

Zeebrugge original TT terminal

Amsterdam both Tor Line terminals

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, Gareth said:

So King George Dock, Hull, joins the long list of ferry ports from the heyday of ferries that are now not just disused but also dismantled and converted to other use.  Other examples:

Weymouth ferry port

Folkestone

Dover Western Docks

Ostend ferry port

Also add in ex-Stranraer and Fleetwood.

59 minutes ago, Le Quiberon said:

Also add in ex-Stranraer and Fleetwood.

Both ferry ports still actually there at present I believe (?), only disused.  Several other ports are also in that category - Dun Laoghaire, Swansea, Ramsgate, Boulogne, Sheerness, Vlissingen to name a few.  The Channel Tunnel and cheap flying have a lot to answer for.

54 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Both ferry ports still actually there at present I believe (?), only disused.  Several other ports are also in that category - Dun Laoghaire, Swansea, Ramsgate, Boulogne, Sheerness, Vlissingen to name a few.  The Channel Tunnel and cheap flying have a lot to answer for.

Add Brighton Marina into the latter list, although passenger only ferries ever used it.

3 hours ago, Trun said:

Add Brighton Marina into the latter list, although passenger only ferries ever used it.

Would that be the Boeing Jetfoils to Oostende? Those things looked amazing...

8 hours ago, Gareth said:

Weymouth ferry port

Folkestone

Dover Western Docks

Ostend ferry port

Also add DFDS Tor Line passenger terminal at Felixstowe!!! The second terminal at this town. Services moved to Harwich in March 1983

16 minutes ago, Nick Hyde said:

Also add DFDS Tor Line passenger terminal at Felixstowe!!! The second terminal at this town. Services moved to Harwich in March 1983

The old Tor line terminal was roro berths 3 and 4 at Felixstowe.  They (unlike the TT terminal at berths 1 and 2) are still there - they are used today by the DFDS freight service to Vlardingen.

49 minutes ago, Gareth said:

The old Tor line terminal was roro berths 3 and 4 at Felixstowe.  They (unlike the TT terminal at berths 1 and 2) are still there - they are used today by the DFDS freight service to Vlardingen.

Is the old DFDS Tor Line passenger terminal building still there in Felixstowe? I guess it got demolished decades ago.

9 hours ago, Gareth said:

Yes you are right I totally misunderstood. Yes they are both unused but in-situ. I always thought Fleetwood should be revived for a UK - Manx or Eire service.

With regard to Brighton Marina, I only remember the foot passenger fast craft to Dieppe. Made a nice day out, especially on Saturdays as it arrived just in time for Dieppe market.