• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Occasionally required to work with ABP for my job, never a hassle to have to down to the docks for a meeting in Hull. During my times around there though I have noticed that unloading/loading does tak

Are you sure it's not the Duke of York to the US prosecutor's office? Ed. 

Ferry travel was better in the early 80s when the Tor sisters were the best UK ferries in terms of comfort and class by a mile. Very sad to see where we are now with P&O.

Posted Images

Hope this is true, if so they should easily have a few more years ahead of them. I'd imagine they'd suit an overnight route in the Mediterranean very well. 

Makes you wonder what they want to get shut of, GNV's biggest ships are permanently open to offers and I think Rhapsody is somewhere quite south on charter.

I see that Stena want £30 million for the 40 year old Stena Saga and Moby want £55 million for their Looney Tunes clad AKI and Wonder and if you find another spare £55 million down the back of the couch you can have the Moby/Tirrenia Sharden.

Suggestions on Facebook that this would be for route expansion, but also a denial from P&O that this is happening. Although I think that is often par for the course until a deal is confirmed. 

• 3 weeks later...

Pictures on facebook of the P & O ensign being painted over on the Pride of Bruges funnel, and also the logo on the side  Pride of York. Suggestion seems to be that they are med bound for GNV shortly, but not seen it confirmed by anyone official, although the posts do appear to be commented on by crew members who have mentioned they are destined for a new life in the med. Glad they appear to be getting some more use before the end of their days. 

• Like 1

This article linked mentions that the two boats have welcomed Italian crews on board.  

There was a suggestion on Facebook that the two could be used to replace two existing GNV ferries (one of which is the former Oscar Wilde), currently being used as migrant accommodation ships, to allow them to return to their summer schedules. This sounds very plausible to me.

It will be interesting to see whether they get repainted or not if that is the case.

https://www.shippingitaly.it/2021/04/12/due-traghetti-nordeuropei-si-rifanno-il-look-per-passare-nelle-mani-di-aponte/?fbclid=IwAR3hVtqKAsbmOWSWaz2yfqCxgUoUG_NanIybhmlOULF-qnazrqvpV1sv5co

Edited by Tumnus2010
1 hour ago, jonno said:

Any connection to GNV Bridge and GNV Sealand?

I understand those two are Visentinis, the latter the current Scottish Viking. Think they're in to cover some of the current GNV fleet refits over the next couple of months. I think there were rumours of new potential GNV routes, for which, no ships have been mentioned yet, as far as I know. 

Aries and Antares apparently.

That reminds me, we've got about 700 MyGNV points floating around somewhere.

Edited by jonno
  • Like 1

Apparently destined for the Naples - Palermo route. Will be interesting if they do anything to them. They have no recliners at the moment and GNV do seem to offer them generally.

Edited by Tumnus2010
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Apparently destined for the Naples - Palermo route. Will be interesting if they do anything to them. They have no recliners at the moment and GNV do seem to offer them generally.

Wonder what they'll do when they get their four ships back from quarantine duties?

16 hours ago, jonno said:

Wonder what they'll do when they get their four ships back from quarantine duties?

It would make sense to use the P & O boats for that purpose instead I guess. Unless there are plans for GNV to use their freight capacity? 

If they do enter service I'll try and get on them. I'd like to go on Moby Otta/Drea too, but that seems unlikely given where the company may be heading I suppose. 

It looks as though both sailed for Italy under their original names? 

Pleased that these two have found new homes, I think it underlines what good ships they always were and still are. Nonetheless, it's very sad to lose the best minicruise product from Hull. Glad I got to sample the route a few times over the years. 

• Like 2

Yes, I thought they might do that too. I guess they will do it in drydock now. Looking at some of the pictures of POY sailing in and around Naples, it looks very nice. Much more scenic than East Hull or Zeebrugge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2