P&O Downsizing

Looking at the replies in their twitter feed they're not making a decision yet on Zeebrugge returning, which does seem a bit odd given that they are potentially missing an opportunity to make bookings. So perhaps the old girls are moving on.

I have to say I'm glad I've not got a booking in with them for this summer. The somewhat casual nature of replies ("nobody's in the office this weekend, sorry about that") and general vagueness makes me think that BF have done a much better job in at least trying to update us with dates etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

I have to say I'm glad I've not got a booking in with them for this summer. The somewhat casual nature of replies ("nobody's in the office this weekend, sorry about that") and general vagueness makes me think that BF have done a much better job in at least trying to update us with dates etc.

It is very likely that I will never book with P&O again after this latest debacle. Living close to Dover I have pretty much always used them, with the odd exception of using  DFDS to Dunkerque. I've never really fancied it, but future trips will now either be  Eurotunnel or DFDS. DFDS have a far superior product anyhow so P&O are done in my book.

9 hours ago, Danim24 said:

It is very likely that I will never book with P&O again after this latest debacle. Living close to Dover I have pretty much always used them, with the odd exception of using  DFDS to Dunkerque. I've never really fancied it, but future trips will now either be  Eurotunnel or DFDS. DFDS have a far superior product anyhow so P&O are done in my book.

DFDS also don't mind flagging some of their ships on the UK register either, unlike P&O. 

• Like 2

On 28/06/2020 at 09:41, Tumnus2010 said:

Looking at the replies in their twitter feed they're not making a decision yet on Zeebrugge returning, which does seem a bit odd given that they are potentially missing an opportunity to make bookings

yes, this is their latest:

"We are currently operating freight only sailings on this route until further notice. We continue to monitor the situation and if this changes, we will update our social media"

Rotterdam is available for booking but their website shows no availability for caravans.  I have a feeling that I am going to be very disappointed in P&O in the coming days. A drive to Dover was not what I wanted to do.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if they're only taking bookings for vehicles that fit on Deck 7 on the R'dam boats then? Leaving the other vehicle decks free for freight?

They're either spectacularly late to the party, or are not planning on resuming passenger services on Zeebrugge, maybe they want the govt to actually confirm it all first this week..

3 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

I wonder if they're only taking bookings for vehicles that fit on Deck 7 on the R'dam boats then? Leaving the other vehicle decks free for freight?

They're either spectacularly late to the party, or are not planning on resuming passenger services on Zeebrugge, maybe they want the govt to actually confirm it all first this week..

I think you are right with respect to the Rotterdam boats - if they were keeping the space for displaced Zeebrugge customers then I think car bookings would also be unavailable. I tried all days of the week for the first week in August and no space for us. I hope your idea about being late to the party is right but I fear not.  I'm trying not to be angry about something that hasn't happened yet, but I will be mightily annoyed if they choose not to restart the service despite knowing that they have a lot of bookings in place (not everyone has cancelled).

My best guess / hope is that they may have sold PoY (as per previous rumours) and are trying to work out whether or not they need to run PoB or whether the bookings can be moved to the Rotterdam boats. 

• Like 1

The latest "information" from P&O (gleaned from an email response posted online) is that Hull Zeebrugge is suspended until 15th July and they will make a decision in the next couple of weeks.

This is making BF look decisive and positively clairvoyant! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wonder if they are just waiting for the govt to announce the countries listed then?

If they do restart then presumably they have to wait for their largely Filipino hotel crew to come back? Don't suppose they will have had anything but a skeleton crew on board.

Wonder what they're planning with the Dover boats up in Edinburgh too. Given the reduction in capacities there would be an argument for having more capacity available on a route?

I just emailed them to find out about any updates. Reply was quick, to be fair but was copy and pasted from their website. Even the font was bigger than the rest of the email...message still passenger suspension until 15th July, they've removed all bookings from website, not able to confirm when if/resuming..why don't you try Europoort that’s nice...

I'd read some social media comments about an announcement coming this week. 

Doesn't look good, but who knows. I wonder why the Belgians don't intervene? Surely the amount of minicruise passengers going to Bruges is worth a significant amount to the local economy? Whenever we have been there there's always been at least 5 or 6 coach loads travelling to Bruges, even in the quiet times it still seems to be popular. I'd wondered whether a scheme similar to BF models where the local authority subsidises the operator would work there too but maybe not?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

why don't you try Europoort that’s nice.

I contacted our booking agent at the back end of last week. They are completely in the dark also. I suggested that as we'd rather sail to Rotterdam than not at all, could we look in to moving the booking? She seemed to think that doing so would cost an extra £300 or so - I'm not sure whether this is simple profiteering or due to fares being much more expensive close to sailing dates. 

So for us, we have to sit tight and see what happens. I'm hoping that they will make a decision this week, rather than waiting until the 15th.

53 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

So for us, we have to sit tight and see what happens. I'm hoping that they will make a decision this week, rather than waiting until the 15th.

Same, looking at the R'dam fares they are significantly more expensive than they were for similar crossings we've done in the past, and that's without adding food or anything on. 

11 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Does anyone know if the ships have got crew on or are on cold layup? 

I`m guessing a warm lay up. The AIS is still switched on for both the Bruges and York. The vessels that went to lay up in the River Fal have had it turned off and gone to watchman/insurance cover. It takes them a lot longer to re activate the ship if it goes to cold apparantly. Hopefully there is a plan..

• Like 2

Slightly off topic, but recently heard that Oceana has been sold to a Greek shipping company.  Although this thread is ferry related, I thought this is of interest because I wonder if they are downsizing the cruise side as well.  From their Facebook posts they say Arcadia and Aurora are staying as people have asked, but wonder how many of their cruise ships will disappear.  Greek company to some people on threads mean scrapyards although P&O have not said this is the case

Edited by Khaines

18 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Slightly off topic, but recently heard that Oceana has been sold to a Greek shipping company.  Although this thread is ferry related, I thought this is of interest because I wonder if they are downsizing the cruise side as well.  From their Facebook posts they say Arcadia and Aurora are staying as people have asked, but wonder how many of their cruise ships will disappear.  Greek company to some people on threads mean scrapyards although P&O have not said this is the case

P&O Ferries is a different company with different ownership (DP World) to P&O Cruises (Carnival).

18 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Certainly the Oceana has been sold. She was moved from Newcastle lay up to Southampton at present, then off to new unspecified owners. There are quite a lot of cruise ships going to the breakers many of them stooging round the Eastern Med/Aegean waiting for their turn on the beach at Aliaga. Ships are often sold onto third parties, of all sorts of nationalities, thence on to the breakers. I can`t honestly see who would want to buy any cruise ship, at present, for further similar service. Sadly I think we`ll lose a lot of good tonnage in the next year or so.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, captjack said:

Apparently the Oceana has been bought by the owner of Seajets

Bit big for Piraeus to Mykonos..still think they are the middle men between Carnival and Aliaga..profitable though

Seajets aren't the sort of company which typically does that sort of stuff. They do accumulate a lot of vessels though - some are for operations, some for spares (usually old fast craft) and some are projects which do or don't come off (witness Aqua Solution). But I imagine they have something in mind for this and any other cruise ships they might buy whilst the market is cheap.