• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Occasionally required to work with ABP for my job, never a hassle to have to down to the docks for a meeting in Hull. During my times around there though I have noticed that unloading/loading does tak

Are you sure it's not the Duke of York to the US prosecutor's office? Ed. 

Ferry travel was better in the early 80s when the Tor sisters were the best UK ferries in terms of comfort and class by a mile. Very sad to see where we are now with P&O.

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

Would she fit St. Malo? I bet she carries almost as many cars as the current vessel....!

No she`s one of P & O`s cruise ships, which makes it odd she has been sold to a ferry operator in Piraeus. Hence my theory that they have bought her to sell on to `other interests` with a beach.

11 minutes ago, Paully said:

No she`s one of P & O`s cruise ships, which makes it odd she has been sold to a ferry operator in Piraeus. Hence my theory that they have bought her to sell on to `other interests` with a beach.

Sorry, I wasn't being entirely serious

• Like 1

Zeebrugge ferry route still not confirmed and read on their Facebook that they're hoping to make a decision some time next week. This could tie in with visa grants for Filipino workers coming out at the same time. They've got over 1k of my money they're not refunding at the moment. I think we might decide the drive down to Pompey and using BF is going to be the  preferred option for us, more certainty for sure. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Zeebrugge ferry route still not confirmed and read on their Facebook that they're hoping to make a decision some time next week. This could tie in with visa grants for Filipino workers coming out at the same time. They've got over 1k of my money they're not refunding at the moment. I think we might decide the drive down to Pompey and using BF is going to be the  preferred option for us, more certainty for sure. 

I was told earlier in the week that they are definitely cancelled until 31st July and are reviewing weekly - I took that to mean that at some point next week they would make a decision about August, though they did not explicitly say that.  They also suggested that we could be transferred to Europoort if they decided not to restart (we are booked for Aug 1st!) but, again, I didn't get the impression this was concrete and was asked to email. I have emailed and received the auto-response that they are still dealing with emails from June at the moment!

BF is really not an option for us as I'm not sure how we would stand with the campsite booking (it was booked together) though Le Havre, Dieppe, Caen or Calais work equally well for our first destination. We don't really fancy the drive south at all so if P&O offered us DO-Cal there would have to be a hefty refund.

• Like 1

It's now looking like the Zeebrugge service may not start until late August (if ever). Our early August booking has been moved to Europoort after I chased P&O. They have not announced anything yet but the rumours about the time taken to recall the crew are apparently right. Once they make a decision it's still 2 - 3 weeks before they can get the service going.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's not in the least bit ironic is it? Given their decision to get rid of more locally based crews, if that is the case for the delay. The amount of money they must be losing from presumably busy summer sailings. Seen some pics of P of B on Facebook in R'dam, looked in really good condition externally. We may well lament about BF, but i've just been able to book a crossing for next summer, P & O don't know what's happening in 2 weeks! 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

It's not in the least bit ironic is it? Given their decision to get rid of more locally based crews, if that is the case for the delay. The amount of money they must be losing from presumably busy summer sailings.

I'm not convinced that this is the case though. If they needed the capacity they could have decided last week to bring them back into service and had them ready for August.  As it is, the fact that we have been able to transfer to the Pride of Hull suggests to me that they have decided that they have space for Zeebrugge passengers on the Europoort ships (at least those that are willing to transfer). 

I believe that they currently have Norstream, Norsky and Elisabeth covering freight on the Hull - Zee route. 

The fact that I had to contact them could suggest that they are still playing it by ear or, more likely, just very much behind the curve.  

Of course, what it says for the prospects of them coming back into service, especially if they are alienating current customers, does not feel particularly good.  

I just looked as some friends want to travel to their home in France. Looks like Dover - Calais only has the 2 spirits on pax. P of Kent is in service but not showing up on the site so i assume she's operating freight only to allow for extra pax on the other two? So DFDS currently have more ships running on the route than P & O.

2 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

J'ai juste regardé comme des amis veulent voyager chez eux en France. On dirait que Douvres - Calais n'a que les 2 esprits sur pax. P de Kent est en service, mais ne se présente pas sur le site, donc je suppose qu'elle exploite du fret uniquement pour permettre des passagers supplémentaires sur les deux autres? Donc, DFDS compte actuellement plus de navires sur la route que P&O.

Calais Seaways ( 2 sailing per day )  and Kent are in freight only 

• Thanks 2

Had an email from P & O today saying Zeebrugge freight only until at least 7th Aug. Looking on social media, Rotterdam boats well loaded it seems with freight.

The rumour that Pride of York won't be returning for a while, if at all continues and suggests they're downsizing to one pax which is also able to cover R'dam in winter refit time. 

I think it was 2 years ago Bruges was in dry dock in Rotterdam for weeks with a gearbox issue, and gearbox issues now reported to be the issue with York as well. If that’s the case and its another bespoke build you can understand the delay. Add into that the fact that they sacked a lot of crew and it all becomes a bit messy sadly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess they could pair the Pride of Bruges with a freighter and that way still offer daily departures - though I have no idea what the mix of accompanied vs unaccompanied freight is on that route. 

• Like 1

Yes I think that's likely that Norsky will remain on the route for the foreseeable. In terms of unaccompanied freight I don't remember there ever being that much on the Zeebrugge boats, I guess the freighter can carry a few more accompanied than a Pelican sized boat. I had read something somewhere about Zeebrugge becoming more popular as it was cheaper for freight than R'dam

5 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

I think it was 2 years ago Bruges was in dry dock in Rotterdam for weeks with a gearbox issue, and gearbox issues now reported to be the issue with York as well. If that’s the case and its another bespoke build you can understand the delay. Add into that the fact that they sacked a lot of crew and it all becomes a bit messy sadly. 

Both the Bruges and York are technically fine and could be made ready for service in a week or so.  However the British side of P&O is coming to the end of the redundancy process so there is unlikely to be enough British Officers and Ratings to have the York and more than one of the laid up Dover ships return to service soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
On 24/07/2020 at 10:28, Tumnus2010 said:

Thanks @Timmy I presume the Dover boats will take priority? Although I have friends that have travelled Dover  - Calais last weekend and said that Spirit of B was very quiet, maybe they're not needed yet?

P&O is still very much run as separate companies within a company. While it's all managed from one HQ crewing and fleet management etc are still split Dover, North Sea and Irish Sea with different crew T's & C's which means they are not easily interchangeable. There are also more recently created divisions which mix and match from the historic ones. 

I suspect we shall see Pride of Bruges and one Dover ship return sooner rather than later more for freight demand than passenger.

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Timmy said:

I suspect we shall see Pride of Bruges and one Dover ship return sooner rather than later more for freight demand than passenger.

If that is the case then it would be more prudent for P&O to break out the European Seaway from Tilbury. Already in close proximity to the Dover Straits and would require less crew.

On 26/07/2020 at 09:46, Danim24 said:

If that is the case then it would be more prudent for P&O to break out the European Seaway from Tilbury. Already in close proximity to the Dover Straits and would require less crew.

Though I guess the Burgundy or Canterbury gives them flexibility in terms of upping the passenger schedule frequency. I reckon it will be the Burgundy as she must have a smaller crew?

Doesn't seem to be anything forthcoming on these boats coming back into service. I guess with covid cases rising in parts of Europe they're unlikely to rush them back now. Presumably though the queue for the beaches in Turkey are growing and a few old ferries aren't going to be on the top of anyone's want lists when they've got much larger projects available in cruise ships etc.