• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Occasionally required to work with ABP for my job, never a hassle to have to down to the docks for a meeting in Hull. During my times around there though I have noticed that unloading/loading does tak

Are you sure it's not the Duke of York to the US prosecutor's office? Ed. 

Ferry travel was better in the early 80s when the Tor sisters were the best UK ferries in terms of comfort and class by a mile. Very sad to see where we are now with P&O.

Posted Images

Absolute shambles of a booking system.

Tried to book a crossing last night for today - the website crashed after proessing my card details. They tool the money out of my account but did not confirm the booking.

The contact centre is closed so you have to contact them by e-mail. 

I was told they would call me urgently so I tied to book a crossing on my mobile instead - that crashed as well!!!

Truly shambolic operation. I know I am booking last minute but this should never be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

Hull - Zeebrugge to return as a one-ship ROOAX Service with a more freight orientation. Makes sense and well done to P&O on that.

Interesting. Do you know where this information comes from and are we thinking that means Pride of Bruges running with less passenger facilities or another dedicated Ro-Pax vessel?

This has been the case for a couple of weeks now. Obviously due to the restrictions in Belgium, Pride of Bruges is essentially running in freight only mode, and has been using the freight linkspan in Zeebrugge apparently. Norsky, which was covering initially went off to Germany for dry dock but is now on her way back to Zeebrugge. I understand that she will resume back on her original Tilbury/Teesport route rather than double up from Hull but I could be wrong. The future of Pride of York remains unclear, currently she is being used as a Covid-19 isolation "hospital" for potentially infected members of crew from the Pride of Hull...some suggestions online she's been sold, and others disagreeing. She remains in warm lay up, rumours again that she's due to return in 2021...who knows right now. She did move berths in Hull to accommodate the arrival of Pride of Bruges, but that's as far as she's gone lately. Pride of Bruges is timetabled as sole ship now through to at least November.

• Like 1

Having sailed on both, I consider the 'Bruges' to be the nicer ship of the two overall. I do hope the route continues, it is definitely the nicest way to travel to Belgium, preferably sat in the Moonlight lounge with a Leffe ;)

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was in Hull last weekend and took a drive down to the docks to have a look at the boats. Both Pride of Bruges and York were in King George Dock. Quite a reasonable amount of domestic traffic in the queue for Bruges, given the covid restrictions and all. York had the stern door closed, so presume access as and when required is via the passenger gangway, or maybe it's just raised while they're loading Bruges so people don't drive on the wrong boat (especially as she's the nearest to the quayside). There were reports in August that York was being used as a hospital ship for covid positive crew members from Pride of Hull, not sure whether this is still the case. Both ships looked good externally, I know that doesn't mean a lot, but it it's good to see both look smart. Pride of Hull on the River Terminal seemed to be filling nicely with freight too. 

I wonder if they will run a one ship only operation on Rotterdam when it's refit time next year, or if Bruges will cover, leaving the Zeebrugge route closed, freight only, or at that point the Pride of York is fired into life.

The P & O website (recently improved) doesn't have any sailings listed for Hull past early Jan yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

The P & O website (recently improved) doesn't have any sailings listed for Hull past early Jan yet.

Crikey - that is a bit of an improvement. Interesting to see mini-cruises are still on sale in the current climate.

Yes, largely it looks a lot better. Delving deeper, it still has Pride of York down as operating in the timetables, and some of the sailing updates could do with being clearer. But overall much improved, and badly needed. I can't believe they apparently won awards with the last website, it made the BF one look like a dream!

Edited by Tumnus2010
spelling

They seem to have a new website, and have gone a bit mini-cruise mad. I am sure this is just a create way of marketing the existing offering; however: 

2 hours ago, hf_uk said:

They seem to have a new website, and have gone a bit mini-cruise mad. I am sure this is just a create way of marketing the existing offering; however: 

If only they did one for MINI owners...

I can't help but feel a "Holland Motorist Mini Cruise" just translates as a 'cheap return ticket with a car'.

• Like 1

Some sort of technical issue with Pride of Rotterdam last night meant she spent the night off spurn before spending the day in the Humber to allow Pride of Hull to dock.  It's not often those boats don't run. Pride of Hull incoming delayed by the weather too. I remember a few years ago being on the York in a force 10 early morning, and consequently delayed by a few hours, but the Hull still docked on time, they generally plough through most things. 

• Like 1

Post on Facebook, apparently from a member of crew, has stated that the company has announced that the Zeebrugge route will close for pax at the end of the year. 4 ships will cease sailing with P & O including Pride of Bruges, Pride of York, European Seaway and one other (Burgundy?). Nothing official yet, but not a surprise. However this is very sad news for those of us that have enjoyed many a pleasant sailing on these old ships. 

• Sad 4
2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

That’s the end of Zeebrugge as a passenger ferry port then.

End of any passenger ferries to Belgium at all as well!

Real shame though, have been meaning to travel on the route for ages, had finally thought of an idea to try this year... I guess not :(

• Sad 1
8 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

End of any passenger ferries to Belgium at all as well!

Indeed, good point.  That’s a very sad development.  I wonder if they will ever come back?  Difficult to see at the moment.  Unless the French ports become significantly more unreliable than they already are.

• Sad 1

In the heady days of around 1981, there were something like 26 passenger ferry departures a day from Belgium to England.  And that’s not including the Jetfoil.

It’s a truly lamentable end of an era.

And a strange one.  How can a port suffer such a devastating decline in passenger traffic whilst at the same time becoming one of the most important freight hubs on the continent(?).

• Like 2