Sign in to follow this  
Cabin-boy

Friday Night Geography and Landmarks Quiz

Good evening everyone,

I'm putting together another quiz for Friday night, this time based around the geography and landmarks of the British Isles. There will be rounds covering records (largest, highest, longest etc.), Where...?, Who...? and What...? as well as some photo-based questions.

I plan to start the quiz at 8.30pm BST (slightly later than usual due to my daughters' bedtime getting later and later at the moment!) and it will run for around an hour as usual.

I'm also willing to include a guest round if anybody has a fantastic trivia question relevent to the subject matter which they'd like to submit to challenge the other forum members. If so, please PM me the question and answer along with any relevent photos etc and I'll include it in the quiz. 

I hope you'll be able to join in, either on Friday night or later as you can do the quiz whenever it suits you.

Ed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I don’t remember you asking if you could use my photo! 🤣

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I don’t remember you asking if you could use my photo! 🤣

I thought you'd given up the modelling to start modding!

Ed. 

• Haha 1

I've had one interesting submission of a bonus question for Friday night's quiz and will be including it.

I've decided to offer it as a 'Play or walk away!' bonus.

If you decide to 'play' and get it right, there are 5 extra points but if you get it wrong you lose 5 from your total. Or you can simply 'walk away' and keep all the points you have so far accumulated.

So, if anyone else would like to submit further questions to increase the opportunity to gamble with your points, please do.

Ed

Good evening everyone. Thank you for coming along.

There are various rounds in tonight’s game including some picture specific questions. Most of the questions need an exact answer but if a number is asked for there will be a stated margin of error allowed.

I intend to post one question approximately every minute during the hour or so of the quiz but don’t worry if you don’t have time to answer everything immediately, there is no set time limit. You can work through the questions at your own pace.

There are 60 points available in total, plus a bonus round with a question set by another forum member. This is worth 5 extra points which could help to boost your overall score. But if you get it wrong you lose 5 points so you need to decide to ‘play or walk away’.

If the questions are not clear for any reason, just reply to the post and I’ll try to clarify what I’m looking for as an answer.

As some people may not actually finish the quiz this evening, the answers will not be posted on the thread until tomorrow morning as usual. However, if you believe you have answered as many as you can manage, just PM me via the forum and I’ll send you them directly.

Finally, please avoid posting any of the answers, or clues to the answers, on the thread during the quiz to maintain the atmosphere.

The quiz will begin in about 15 minutes.

Good luck!

Ed

• Like 1

Just now, VikingVoyager said:

Late to the party..is this going ahead? I've not managed to take part before

8.30 start as indicated.

Ed

• Like 1

What is the name of the highest peak in Northern Ireland and what is its height (to within 50 metres)? 2 points

3.jpg

What is the name of the highest peak in The Republic of Ireland and what is its height (to within 50 metres)? 2 points

4.jpg

What is the furthest distance you can travel from the sea in the UK and in which county would you be? 1 point

5.jpg

Between 1311 and 1548, which British building held the record as the world’s tallest man-made structure? And how tall was it at the time (but it may not be the same height today - to within 20 metres)? 2 points

9.jpg

What is the longest pleasure pier in the UK (and indeed the world)? And how long is it (to within a 10th of a mile)? 2 points

10.jpg

Chatsworth house in Derbyshire is the ancestral seat of the Duke of which county? 1 point

2.jpg

Which two English counties have the letter ‘s’ 4 times in both their names? 2 points

3.jpg

• Haha 1

Only one body of water in the Lake District actually has the word ‘lake’ in its real name. Which one? 1 point

5.jpg