Sign in to follow this  
Cabin-boy

Friday Night Geography and Landmarks Quiz

14 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

You appear to be correct. Sorry for that. And if you put Hampstead then award yourself the extra point. 

Did anyone get Cary Grant correct? And know the link to A Fish Called Wanda?

Ed. 

I knew Cary Grant was from Bristol as that's where I'm from originally, and living now near Portsmouth (if and when we can get back there!!!) the Charles Dickens question was good, but cheated to find the Archie Leach link..

Chris

Posted (edited)

Put Hampstead & Stephen Fry  and got the Scout bonus but didn't write it down. I put Whitstable & Southsea for the 1st two Forts and didn't even see the picture of Nottingham, thought they started with Bath. I also put Windermere for the Lake as mere means lake,a bit like Lough & Loch do. It called Lake Winderlake?!??

Didn't know a link between Cary Grant, Archie Leach and a Fish Called Wanda was needed? The way JLC rolled her 'R' when she said Archie... never to be forgotton!?! The dance in True Lies... I must thank Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh when I've passed the Pearly Gates!

Powys for the Severn? I put Ceredigion, half the people who live there think the same, probably those that live furthest from the Powys border!... I say tell them and let the fur fly... fight!...fight! 

Got Popular Road names but were a pure guess. I.O.M waterwheels , I answered mining... any chance like?

... and because I'm possessive, the only connection The Wirral has with Merseyside is two road tunnels, the underground and the ferries. The Wirral even has Chester postcodes.

It's a popular misconception in a similar way that everyone thinks that Ford/Land Rover is in Liverpool and so is Aintree Racecourse... Halewood is in Knowlsey, the Racecourse in Sefton which are Boroughs of Merseyside in their own right and have their own council offices in Huyton and Bootle, although parts of Sefton such as Southport have Preston postcodes and pay the Lancashire city their council tax.

With Hampstead re instated 46pts, I didn't do Baden Powell.

Edited by jonno

Thanks - a great quiz (but I would say that, having surprised myself by getting 44).

The Fish Called Wanda connection is that John Cleese’s character is called Archie Leach. In case anyone hasn’t heard the old story : some newspaper fact-checker sent a telegram to Cary Grant’s agent, asking ‘How old Cary Grant?’. Cary happened to be in the office and opened the telegram, and replied ‘Old Cary Grant OK. How you?’.

I put Windermere too, because I interpreted “size” to mean length.  I think Ed must have meant area though (although, comparing Windermere with Loch Neagh on the map, the latter probably gets it on either interpretation).

Kicking myself about the street names, as they are obvious in retrospect.  At the time I did wonder whether “most common” meant in terms of the number of roads with that name or the number of houses with that road name in their address, but it probably doesn’t affect the answer I guess.

34 minutes ago, jonno said:

Put Hampstead & Stephen Fry  and got the Scout bonus but didn't write it down. I put Whitstable & Southsea for the 1st two Forts and didn't even see the picture of Nottingham, thought they started with Bath. I also put Windermere for the Lake as mere means lake,a bit like Lough & Loch do. It called Lake Winderlake?!??

Didn't know a link between Cary Grant, Archie Leach and a Fish Called Wanda was needed? The way JLC rolled her 'R' when she said Archie... never to be forgotton!?! The dance in True Lies... I must thank Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh when I've passed the Pearly Gates!

Powys for the Severn? I put Ceredigion, half the people who live there think the same, probably those that live furthest from the Powys border!... I say tell them and let the fur fly... fight!...fight! 

Got Popular Road names but were a pure guess. I.O.M waterwheels , I answered mining... any chance like?

... and because I'm possessive, the only connection The Wirral has with Merseyside is two road tunnels, the underground and the ferries. The Wirral even has Chester postcodes.

It's a popular misconception in a similar way that everyone thinks that Ford/Land Rover is in Liverpool and so is Aintree Racecourse... Halewood is in Knowlsey, the Racecourse in Sefton which are Boroughs of Merseyside in their own right and have their own council offices in Huyton and Bootle, although parts of Sefton such as Southport have Preston postcodes and pay the Lancashire city their council tax.

With Hampstead re instated 46pts, I didn't do Baden Powell.

The Fish Called Wanda Link was just trivia. No extra points there. Mining is fine for the IOM. 

Ed. 

28 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I put Windermere too, because I interpreted “size” to mean length.  I think Ed must have meant area though (although, comparing Windermere with Loch Neagh on the map, the latter probably get it on either interpretation).

Kicking myself about the street names, as they are obvious in retrospect.  At the time I did wonder whether “most common” meant in terms of the number of roads with that name or the number of houses with that road name in their address, but it probably doesn’t affect the answer I guess.

Yes,  that's the problem if you don't play 'live'. I would have happily clarified those points last night. Ed. 

• Like 1

35 I think, depending how generous you are with Fort Locations! That's a lot better than I expected.

Great quiz by the way, many thanks!

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Yes,  that's the problem if you don't play 'live'. I would have happily clarified those points last night. Ed. 

Like lakes, lochs, loughs and lacs?😉

3 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Like lakes, lochs, loughs and lacs?😉

Indeed. And this is the Lac Du Layon through which the river of the same name (and famous for its sweet white wines - notice Chris, it looks nothing like the Gironde Region! 😁) flows.  I'm sitting here in front of said lake while my daughter chats to a friend she hasn't seen for two months and making sure they don't come too close to each other. I've requisitioned a picnic table as I also have to finish a 60,000 word translation on my laptop for tomorrow, but can't really complain having to work with this sort of view.

Ed

DSC_0300.JPG

DSC_0298.JPG

• Like 3

The 'Trip to Jerusalem' picture was a gift for me - have you/anyone ever visited the establishment?

42 minutes ago, nottingham said:

The 'Trip to Jerusalem' picture was a gift for me - have you/anyone ever visited the establishment?

Yes, Mrs Voyager is from Nottingham!

56 minutes ago, nottingham said:

I don't believe I've ever even been to Nottingham, so unfortunately not. Yet. 

Ed. 

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I don't believe I've ever even been to Nottingham, so unfortunately not. Yet. 

Ed. 

Queen of the Midlands and all that.....

Most of the Trip is in cave cellars under the Castle Rock - for the modelers there's a cursed  cobweb -ed bedecked galleon - legend (and some facts) say anyone that moves or touches it will suffer accordingly.  At least three deaths have been associated with this story.  In the 60s it was a bikers pub and back in the 1800s a brothel, as the castle was not at that time policed by the city.

Posted (edited)

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 16/05/2020 at 11:10, Cabin-boy said:

10 if you knew the answer without looking it up. 

-10 if you cheated.

Ed. 

Cabin-boy - I'm Scottish 😀😀😀🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Edited by den herraghty
Adding the Saltire

5 minutes ago, den herraghty said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Cabin-boy - I'm Scottish 😀😀😀🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Is that an excuse for cheating? 😕 Ed. 

On 22/05/2020 at 19:10, Cabin-boy said:

Is that an excuse for cheating? 😕 Ed. 

Don't know where you got the idea I was cheating!. I commented on my nationality as every Scottish school child (although I am a waaaay past that stage of life) is taught the there is only one lake in Scotland.Den

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, den herraghty said:

Don't know where you got the idea I was cheating!. I commented on my nationality as every Scottish school child (although I am a waaaay past that stage of life) is taught the there is only one lake in Scotland.Den

Perfect. You have the point. There was no suggestion of cheating but I was curious as to how you knew without checking the answer as I didn't find that detail while preparing the questions. Well done! How did you do in the actual quiz, as that lock/lake question wasn't really included? Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

On 15/05/2020 at 21:26, neilcvx said:

What’s the only Lake in Scotland called ? Bonus question 😉

Cabin Boy

I was responding to this 'bonus question' offered by Neilcvx. In the original quiz (completed the day afterwards) I achieved 22 points. 

Also, in accordance with time honoured BFE pedant tradition. it's locnot lock. Non Celtic/Gaelic speakers can try using the 'ch' sound from church or 'chucking up my guts on NEX to make it topical 😆

Den

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, den herraghty said:

Cabin Boy

I was responding to this 'bonus question' offered by Neilcvx. In the original quiz (completed the day afterwards) I achieved 22 points. 

Also, in accordance with time honoured BFE pedant tradition. it's locnot lock. Non Celtic/Gaelic speakers can try using the 'ch' sound from church or 'chucking up my guts on NEX to make it topical 😆

Den

I get it now - as in Nichola?😃

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, nottingham said:

I get it now - as in Nichola?😃

With a monster lurking beneath the surface. 😉 Ed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 24/05/2020 at 09:12, Cabin-boy said:

Perfect. You have the point. There was no suggestion of cheating but I was curious as to how you knew without checking the answer as I didn't find that detail while preparing the questions. Well done! How did you do in the actual quiz, as that lock/lake question wasn't really included? Ed. 

Back in my distant past I was a booking office clerk for Western SMT then Clydeside Scottish at their depot in Paisley and frequently engaged (during the summer months!) in booking our popular Day Coach Tours. One of these was the 'Trossachs and Aberfoyle' tour which, in it's description, mentioned the Lake. As stated we had been taught that there was only one lake in Scotland and only found out reasonably exactly where it was due to this tour. Never actually got on it though!🤣

Den

15 minutes ago, den herraghty said:

Back in my distant past I was a booking office clerk for Western SMT then Clydeside Scottish at their depot in Paisley and frequently engaged (during the summer months!) in booking our popular Day Coach Tours. One of these was the 'Trossachs and Aberfoyle' tour which, in it's description, mentioned the Lake. As stated we had been taught that there was only one lake in Scotland and only found out reasonably exactly where it was due to this tour. Never actually got on it though!🤣

Den

P.S. Just noticed the last bit of your post. 27 although I should have gone for the 'bonus' 😢

These quizes always remind me of the old Max Bygraves joke, said in a Cockney twang.........Q. Where will you find the Andes..A on the end of your wristies...🤣😂

22 minutes ago, Paully said:

These quizes always remind me of the old Max Bygraves joke, said in a Cockney twang.........Q. Where will you find the Andes..A on the end of your wristies...🤣😂

Damn! Another question I now have to rewrite for tomorrow. Ed.

• Haha 1