Sign in to follow this  
hf_uk

Drone

Did anyone see the 100kg payload drone on the news this morning which has been used to deliver PPE kit to the IOW?

How long I wonder, before devices similar to that start emerging with extended range to drop contraband across boarders, especially for places like UK <> Channel Islands <> France!

How long before people start taking pot shots at them to see what they can pinch?

It is a perfect example of someone trying to move a project forward with the 'excuse' of the outbreak. The drone is an unmanned aircraft flying between two airfields and supervised by 2 pilots (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52419705).

No problems with the test, however if the urgency was the transfer of PPE, it would have been easier to use one pilot in a light aircraft. If it was very urgent it would have been better to use a helicopter to land in the hospital grounds and not need onward transfer !

I wonder how many other projects like this will get accelerated due to the money sloshing about the system.

The drones also need the airspace cleared around the flight path !

• Like 2

Drones are at the stage of having the man walk in front of the car with a flag when the automobile started. However they are a very cheap (aerospace) way to transport goods especially when automation is allowed properly. Used in many remote locations to bring suppliers and medical help already. 

The issue with aircraft is they need a suitable airfield, two to choose from on IoW - Bembridge (paved runway) and Sandown (grass or astroturf) - Bembridge is a 20 minutes drive away from the hospital, opposed to the hospital helipad which is a shorter flight and outside the front door.

Carrying contraband is not new, a task force was set up by HMG in 2017 to look at criminal activity especially as prisons were having a lot of mobile phones and drugs smuggled in by drone. Many prisons now have anti-drone technology to stop this smuggling.

Coming back tangentially to shipping, due to big efforts on the U.S. / Mexico border to stop drones led to smugglers increasingly switching to submarines (drug subs) and 'torpedos', all increasingly automated. I am sure one of these would work equally as well in The Channel as the Gulf of Mexico;  less congested in the seaways than the very congested airspace above The Channel.

Drug subs have been found on the beaches of Spain (first one with traces of cocaine in 2006, big one carrying nearly 4 tons late last year) and Columbian police intercepted a sub destined for Italy. There is now believed to be several hundred subs in operation, interestingly if smugglers are caught by U.S. authorities they are likely to be prosecuted in the U.S. for operating un-flagged vessels rather than smuggling.

For a different type of maritime video, search drug sub / narco submarine on YouTube.

Looking at the UK South airspace chart, I see it's bimbling across the Solent in uncontrolled airspace.  It would be interesting to know how they practice the principles of "see and avoid" with no pilot on board unless they've issued a NOTAM for a Restricted Area (Temporary) or similar to keep hobby pilots like me out.  I smell a RA(T) ! I was lucky enough to cross the Solent in a helicopter as a passenger at 2000 feet and the views across Southampton were stunning.

Thanks David - clear enough !  I could live with a 2000 ft Danger Area ceiling - as a glider pilot, if I'm down at 2000 ft on a cross country flight then I'm usually looking for fields to land in !  There's a bunch of very good glider pilots in the Midlands that normally try for a day trip to St Catherine's Point and back, but I'm not good enough/brave enough to try it myself. They normally route over Portsmouth to avoid Southampton's airspace.  What is annoying though is them blocking out that corridor every working day for five straight days.

After an operational assessment period the danger zone base could be lifted to 1000 ft AMSL making the zone between 1000 ft and 2000ft AMSL - NATS / CAA Briefing Sheet 01/05/2020. Not sure how long the operational assessment will take.

Also you may be able get permission to cross using DACS as the danger area corridor is unlikely to be in constant use during the operational times notified.

I can see a future in this technology. "where's my drugs.com" 😮

On 13/05/2020 at 12:33, hf_uk said:

How long I wonder, before devices similar to that start emerging with extended range to drop contraband across boarders, especially for places like UK <> Channel Islands <> France!

Or to drop BF passengers at their destination of choice?

On 18/05/2020 at 16:55, BobCrox said:

Or to drop BF passengers at their destination of choice?

LOL. Maybe, but only one light one, with their own parachute just in case:)