Hello

I wonder if anyone has memories or photos of Tregastel?

I knew her very well as the St Clair when she worked on the Shetland route for 10 years after leaving BF/Truckline, but would love to have seen more from her before her life with P&O.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Without spending hours delving into cyberspace here is a starter for ten with some information and a few photos. Having spent the first 26 years of my life using Townsend/Thoreson/P&O European Ferries for our annual family holidays in Europe (rather like Gareth), I was tempted by the BF offering from Plymouth to Roscoff for the start of honeymoon number 1 back in June 1986. I've probably a few photos somewhere but most of them were lost in the revolution (divorce), I remember her as being pleasant rather than spectacular - that's Tregastel and not my first wife by the way....🤣. The return trip from Ouistreham was quite different, we adored the Duc de Normandie, such a breath of fresh air compared to the Super Vikings and so very French. One day I would love to head down to southern Spain for a trip down memory lane and take one last crossing on her in the current guise as Vrondskiy but I doubt it will happen.

You might also take a look at hhvferry's website, a mine of information that's both useful and useless at the same time, unless of course you're a ferry nutcase!

Hope this helps,

Chris

https://brittany-seas-ships.jimdofree.com/brittany-ferries-past-fleet/tregastel/ 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, davel said:

Thanks for this Chris. 

Have you ever considered reconnecting with your ex wife?! (if only to find those photos!!) 😂

We get on very well now Dave, more a brother/sister relationship especially as she only lives 15 miles down the road and enjoys her wine, but honeymoon photos would be asking too much....

And the answer would most likely end in ....off!

Chris

Tregastel was originally Travemunde for the Gedser-Travemunde route.  She joined BF in the mid 80s to replace Benodet on the Plymouth-Roscoff route, after the latter was moved to open the Channel Islands Ferries service as Corbiere.  Tregastel was the prime Plymouth-Roscoff vessel until replaced in that role by Quiberon in 1989 (which in turn was released from the flagship Cork and Santander roster by the arrival of a young upstart by the name of Bretagne!).

So, in 1989, in company with Corbiere, the ship she replaced at Plymouth 4 years earlier, Tregastel opened Poole-Cherbourg as a passenger route.  I have photos of her at Cherbourg from that period that I will look up and upload.  The pair of them were replaced by Barfleur in 1992, after which Tregastel made her way to P&O.

45 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Is she Russian then, Chris? 🤣

No Gareth, and her name doesn’t end in itch either...🤣

(as in Ivanavic, I just realised that could be interpreted as the B word)

Chris

But of course that’s going off topic - silly me...😳

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

But of course that’s going off topic - silly me...😳

There’s a difference between incidental asides and taking a thread in a whole different direction in the knowledge that follow-up posts will continue that direction.  The former, the forum would be a dull place without.  The latter, a source of frustration to members, particularly those who started the threads.

Problem is, which is which is a grey area.  One person’s flippant aside is another person’s “can’t understand why you’re not taking this issue seriously”.  One person’s logical development of a discussion is another person’s thread detailment.  

So it’s not an exact science, and ultimately we can’t really win.  Question is, how do people want us to strike the balance between laissez faire and heavy-handed thought police.  We get moaned at for doing nothing and moaned at for interfering.  And perish the thought that we dare to share our own views about anything! 

• Like 1

A couple of postcards of the ship in her original guise; the somewhat unflattering deck scene on the third postcard is not on her but the saloon looks about right in terms of look and feel for a German built ship of that era so probably is. Not sure what decor changes BF made to her if but the internal images are on board her, they are presumably respectively the cafeteria and what became "Les Triagoz" Restaurant.

The Tregastel was one of a bunch of BF ships which were all design evolutions of one another - she herself was a running mate, and iteration of, the Gedser of 1968, which also formed the basis for the Stena Danica of 1969 of which large parts of the Prince of Fundy (later Prince of Brittany) were a copy/paste job. Lion Ferry's Prins Oberon (1970) was a sort of super-sized Prince of Fundy and she had two subsequent half sisters, the Gustav Vasa and Nils Dacke (later Norrona and Quiberon). Meanwhile the Travemunde's hull form and superstructure were the starting point for Da-No Linjen's Terje Vigen (later Armorique).

image.png.ed9dbca7c257e1229bbd6afceb1fc593.png

image.png.8d94edd4fb07126905b7280c16f622d7.png

image.png.affd478cc4aefcba34de432549a4e2fd.png

image.png.c2b557d6a444a54297a2d8ebcbb3e1a3.png

image.png.cf244a06755710b994423ed2b260d6a5.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have one of her at Roscoff in BF livery, taken back in 1986.  It's not the best shot, though, as I would have only have had a cheap camera back then.  I will see if I have already scanned it in.

Edit:  turns out I had scanned it in.  I think I have posted it here in the past, as I remember a discussion over the open side door at the stern.

Tregastel.jpg

Edited by Paul
  • Like 4
4 hours ago, Paul said:

I have one of her at Roscoff in BF livery, taken back in 1986.  It's not the best shot, though, as I would have only have had a cheap camera back then.  I will see if I have already scanned it in.

Edit:  turns out I had scanned it in.  I think I have posted it here in the past, as I remember a discussion over the open side door at the stern.

Tregastel.jpg

Nicer, simpler times... in so many ways!

6 hours ago, Gareth said:

As promised, here are some photos of Tregastel, in her Truckline period, at Cherbourg in July 1990.

Tregastel 2.jpg

Any idea what the ship in the background of this image is? Possibly Saint Patrick II or Earl Granville?

2 hours ago, hhvferry said:

Any idea what the ship in the background of this image is? Possibly Saint Patrick II or Earl Granville?

Right first time.  The ICL ships at Cherbourg used to arrive around 10am and then not leave again until around 8pm.  So they would unload, come off the berth like you see here, and then go back onto it when it was time to load for the evening sailing.  They usually used the old transatlantic terminal as their layby berth.

SP1.jpg

SP2.jpg

SP3.jpg

SP4.jpg

SP5.jpg

SP6.jpg

SP7.jpg

SP8.jpg

SP9.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for all the wonderful stories and pictures.

And some incredible videos of her now hhvferry - looking quite battered, but perhaps she was always a bit like that and nostalgia is getting the better of me.  But amazing to think she's still running nearly 50 years on.

I know she in the grand scheme of things wasn't particularly exciting - but every ship enthusiast has that one ship, probably the one that made them a ship enthusiast, and for me it's this one (all be it when she was St Clair!)

From what I've been able to gather, when P&O took her over, they installed new passenger cabins mid and forward on what I'll forever know as 'D' Deck.  They put in larger windows for the new cabins, however the smaller windows remained at at the stern for the crew cabins.

They split the forward lounge on 'C Deck' into two, with the starboard side becoming a cinema. They covered the forward facing windows on this side. I never knew if it was permanent or just the winter covers on all year round as I'm almost certain the glass was still there. But in any recent photo I've seen on her, the same setup exists, so I presume it was permanent. 

On the same deck they reduced the width of the what was a full width cafeteria at the stern, to only be on the starboard side, to allow for an extra number of cabins on the port side. These were great cabins to get for the 14 hour trip to Lerwick as they had HUGE windows as they were formally windows form the cafeteria. 

And finally they welded shut the bow of the ship (and presumably the side ramps too) as she was only ever a stern loader on the Lerwick / Aberdeen run.  I'd heard a few stories over the years that they had leaking issues when they first took her over so just decided to weld it up shut, particularly with the harsh conditions of the north sea.  Presumably the Estonia disaster a few years later may have seen that happen anyway. She had some ugly side sponsons added in 1995 which I believe was a result of that.

• Like 3