Another Ferry Publications BF Book

If you've ever read the Inside Olau book the intent is to make something similar to that rather than being another somewhat generic company history so hopefully it will have a fair bunch of previously unrevealed insights. 

• Like 1

Looking forward to this book for a while.

It's publication date has been pushed forward a few times though.

If they don't get it off the printing presses this summer, they will have to rename it again, this time to something like "Rebuilding Brittany Ferries"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I ordered this last year. Including this I have another two on back order, Stena Line Fleet Book & Harwich - Hoek of Holland. 

Delivery this week of Ferries from the British Isles to Iberia, The North Sea Bridge & Ferries of Scandinavia.

1974 - 2005. "The Golden Years"

I somehow don't think the sequel 2005-XXXX will have the same magic. But I may be wrong.

At the moment, let's just hope the next one end up being the 2020-XXXX "The dismantling years". :/

On 20/05/2020 at 18:22, Le Quiberon said:

are there any bf books that can be read online?

Inside Olau is available on Amazon kindle, if that's of any interest to you.

• 3 months later...

A preview of this book is now available online, which is due to be published at the end of the month.

https://www.ferrypubs.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/digitalbooks/BF Creating/BF Creating.html

I knew BF had toyed with the idea of entering the cruise industry, but I hadnt realised it had progressed as far as the Armorique operating a trial cruise to Portugal, Morocco and the Canaries!

Will make for an interesting read.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, Andy said:

A preview of this book is now available online, which is due to be published at the end of the month.

https://www.ferrypubs.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/digitalbooks/BF Creating/BF Creating.html

I knew BF had toyed with the idea of entering the cruise industry, but I hadnt realised it had progressed as far as the Armorique operating a trial cruise to Portugal, Morocco and the Canaries!

Will make for an interesting read.

That is one of the most staggering bit of BF info I ave ever heard.

10 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

That is one of the most staggering bit of BF info I ave ever heard.

It was pretty common in the '70s; Finnlines, Gotlandsbolaget, DFDS, Jahre etc all sent their ships cruising, Stena even had a dedicated cruise ship (the current Astoria) which they sent out on long cruises from Gothenburg for years. The divergence between ferry and cruise operators and ferry design and cruise ship design hadn't really got into full swing by then - ships like the Southward and Sunward, Spirit of London, Cunard Ambassador etc were basically modified car ferry designs (if not actual car ferries in some instances).

The Armorique came from the same design stable as all of those and was built as a two class ship - her first class accommodations were quite good, with en-suite bathrooms in the cabins where most legacy liners which were serving as cruise ships didn't have in huge numbers. I could imagine she would have been quite an effective little cruise ship - and would certainly have looked the part with her superstructure profile using the plans of the Southward as a starting point.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, hhvferry said:

It was pretty common in the '70s; Finnlines, Gotlandsbolaget, DFDS, Jahre etc all sent their ships cruising, Stena even had a dedicated cruise ship (the current Astoria) which they sent out on long cruises from Gothenburg for years. The divergence between ferry and cruise operators and ferry design and cruise ship design hadn't really got into full swing by then - ships like the Southward and Sunward, Spirit of London, Cunard Ambassador etc were basically modified car ferry designs (if not actual car ferries in some instances).

The Armorique came from the same design stable as all of those and was built as a two class ship - her first class accommodations were quite good, with en-suite bathrooms in the cabins where most legacy liners which were serving as cruise ships didn't have in huge numbers. I could imagine she would have been quite an effective little cruise ship - and would certainly have looked the part with her superstructure profile using the plans of the Southward as a starting point.

I remember Sealink used to promote their "Orient Express" (their ship not the train) cruise in their brochures.

1 hour ago, zuludelta said:

I remember Sealink used to promote their "Orient Express" (their ship not the train) cruise in their brochures.

We're off topic here but yes that ship and her two sisters are great examples of the ferry/cruise ships crossover of the 1970s. Although their original interiors were of their time, every single cabin was en-suite which was very unusual for the time. And all three became cruise ships - the Orient Express with British Ferries, the Svea Corona with Epirotiki and even the ship which became the Jupiter did some full-time cruising late in life.

I visited the Orient Express in Agadir in 1987 or '88 and she had been quite nicely refitted, in line with what might be expected of the look Sea Containers concocted for their Venice Simplon Orient Express.

• Like 1