Jump to content
Le Quiberon

Re-Start of BF Passenger Services

Recommended Posts

During these times I have spent a lot of time wondering when my next holiday will be and where. I am hoping for a trip around the Baltics again in September. However, nobody really knows when 'normal service will resume.'

In terms of the ferry/cruise industry, when do other members think we will see a return to services and normal travel?

Also what changes do you think will be made to ferries as we come over the other side of this?

And of course I know health is more important and the situation is serious etc, but being so bored it would be nice to think about future trips.

L'Q.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normal service, when we have a vaccine is the short answer , the longer answer is we may see “some” passenger services resumed with temperature scanning, immunity passports, vastly reduced capacity playing a part.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am itching to do the Baltics again, using Silja/Tallink vessels.

Would be nice to do at the end of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/04/2020 at 21:41, Le Quiberon said:

I am itching to do the Baltics again, using Silja/Tallink vessels.

Would be nice to do at the end of the year.

Crickey, "itching"- any other symptoms?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, straightfeed said:

Crickey, "itching"- any other symptoms?

He's got the Baltic Bug. Ed.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I currently have a bad dose of the Wallanders, does that count?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jonno said:

I currently have a bad dose of the Wallanders, does that count?

I thought that complaint had been eradicated, though, my Aunt Dolly always used to rub an ointment in that area when I used to get it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've done the complete set of Maigret series. From Rowen Atkinson right back to Rupert Davies. I'm slowly learning new words like "Box Set" and "streaming".

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, straightfeed said:

We've done the complete set of Maigret series. From Rowen Atkinson right back to Rupert Davies. I'm slowly learning new words like "Box Set" and "streaming".

I'm working my way through The Bill. Currently part way through Series 19.

But then I did start before the Covid confinement, since I was convalescing from a serious infection. (Big thanks to the Croix Rouge Hopitalisation à Domicile - hospital at home service).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, floyd4VM said:

Why not? Maybe they will invent a vaccine? 

Based on what I've read, and I'm no scientist...

There are already multiple streams of work looking to create a vaccine and several human trials underway. However, even if one or more of those prove to be successful there's then the time it takes to mass produce and distribute. Realistically, that's not going to happen in 2020 with most optimistic estimates veering towards 12-18 months if we're lucky. 

All that also assumes that the vaccines produced will be able to provide sufficient and long-term immunity - they should, but there's no way to know for sure. It also assumes that there is not too much of a variation/mutation in the virus itself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jim said:

Based on what I've read, and I'm no scientist...

There are already multiple streams of work looking to create a vaccine and several human trials underway. However, even if one or more of those prove to be successful there's then the time it takes to mass produce and distribute. Realistically, that's not going to happen in 2020 with most optimistic estimates veering towards 12-18 months if we're lucky. 

All that also assumes that the vaccines produced will be able to provide sufficient and long-term immunity - they should, but there's no way to know for sure. It also assumes that there is not too much of a variation/mutation in the virus itself.

and further time required to analyse the long term side effects of a new vaccine

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The common cold is a form of coronavirus and there has never been a vaccine for that yet.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Khaines said:

The common cold is a form of coronavirus and there has never been a vaccine for that yet.

You are a well respected member of the forum and a fantastic contributor and by no means am I trying to cause a stir but this quite isn't the common cold tho is it?

I do understand your point of view though.

Edited by Le Quiberon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

You are a well respected member of the forum and a fantastic contributor and by no means am I trying to cause a stir but this quite isn't the common cold tho is it?

I do understand your point of view though.

This probably explains a bit better what I mean.  Vaccines for coronaviruses have so far been unsuccessful.  This isn’t quite the common cold, but rather a nasty mutated strain of it that has become much more infectious and much more dangerous.  Every year we hear of flu vaccines, but every year people have to go and get them redone as new strains arrive.  The common cold has millions of different strains, once you have had one you are meant to have immunity to that particular one.  It is why kids get every bug going when they start school!  As we get older we get less and less until we are “getting on” and elderly, and our immune systems aren’t as good as they were when we were younger.  It is possible that we could see new strains of THIS virus reappearing every year like the flu seasons.   Cures for the common cold remain evasive, and as this virus is one of the coronaviruses that cause the common cold, I fear that they are chasing rainbows at the moment.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020-04-17/coronavirus-vaccine-ian-frazer/12146616

Edited by Khaines
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Brigitte’s point is that structurally the viruses that cause CV19 and the common cold come from the same family of viruses.  And in terms of viral structure, the two are indeed related.  One may be far more dangerous to catch than the other, but that doesn’t mean a vaccine will be any easier to come by than it is for other viruses in the same family.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(That said, is it possible that one of the reasons that a vaccine has not been developed for the common cold is because there has been no real need to do so given its mostly innocuous effects?).

The silver lining is that there IS a vaccine developed, every year, for the various strains of the flu virus that mutate every year.  So it is conceivable to think that, once the basis of a vaccine for CV19 is developed, it might become (in time) relatively straightforward to adapt it each year to cope with the different mutations of coronavirus that evolve each year.  But getting to the point of the basic vaccine is the tough step, and conflicting messages are coming out about how far down the line anyone has got with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we have to hope that the intensive worldwide scientific effort going into finding a vaccine will be a gamechanger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

I think we have to hope that the intensive worldwide scientific effort going into finding a vaccine will be a gamechanger.

I agree and we should also remember that 24/7 someone somewhere in the world are actively working on a solution. For once all are pulling in the same direction..Sooner rather than later one of them will get lucky.........for the benefit of mankind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Manxscorpio said:

and further time required to analyse the long term side effects of a new vaccine

There's a trade off there though - we don't have the luxury of waiting years to find out, there will need to be a decision on the scientific facts around giving the go-ahead to use a vaccine along with ongoing monitoring.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Jim said:

There's a trade off there though - we don't have the luxury of waiting years to find out, there will need to be a decision on the scientific facts around giving the go-ahead to use a vaccine along with ongoing monitoring.

Totally agree with this - personally I would much prefer to be administered a vaccine (with possible side effects) rather than take a chance of catching this dreadful virus 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s also the fact that you need a vaccine as there’s no guarantee that you can’t catch the virus again after having it , the “herd immunity “ theory is a real danger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I guess that there will be a vaccine before long.

I just hope that the events of the last couple of months persuades people to actually avail themselves of it.  Around here (and I’m sure everywhere in France), the flu vaccine is available to over 65’s (or it might be over 70’s) & any other at risk people.  It’s entirely free of charge, and you simply pick up the vaccine from the chemist and arrange for the district nurse to administer it (or go to the nearest lab).

Extraordinarily, the ‘take-up’ rate is normally around just 20% !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...