Le Quiberon

Re-Start of BF Passenger Services

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

They are traveling via their own vehicle as it is safer virus wise, and it was arranged months ago that they were coming to work For us for a few months - they do have an email confirming this, plus they have their own accommodation that is separate from the house to self isolate, so hopefully their won‚Äôt be a problem ūüė¨

One of the accepted reason for allowing crossing of the border is for work they often ask for proof of a work contract.

Re quarantine, I note that the French quarantine is voluntary. https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-UK-and-French-travel-and-quarantine-measures#t2-Travellers-entering-France-from-the-UK

I also note that it is based on departure Country so one could do UK - Spain - France in July without 'Voluntary' quarantine.

Do France have a different definition of Voluntary ?

France have an entirely different language .... and culture :)

I've checked the French version of that page and it does say "voluntary" but I have heard comments that it is your civic duty to obey the instructions. I don't see any reference to the need to register your arrival so whether they can then check up on your movements is not clear. I suspect they are being deliberately vague to discourage travel generally with the idea that of you can work out what the rulessayb them you have no way of knowing how to apply them. 

My wife's aquagym classes are due to restart mid-June but not my daughter's swimming lessons as it's apparently too complicated to manage a group of 6 children in a large pool! We suspect there is a whole ministery of civil servants in Paris spending their days (and nights) dreaming up new rules every time a government official realises that they haven't thought about yet another activity or sector of the economy. 

Ed

13 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I suspect they are being deliberately vague to discourage travel generally with the idea that of you can work out what the rulessayb them you have no way of knowing how to apply them.

I suspect that it is tit for tat and the main objective is not a Public Health one !

2 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I suspect that it is tit for tat and the main objective is not a Public Health one !

Surely not! 

2 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I suspect they are being deliberately vague to discourage travel generally with the idea that of you can work out what the rulessayb them you have no way of knowing how to apply them.

Sorry, for some reason what I wrote earlier, and you quoted, seems to be gobbledygook. I suspect a gremlin from the French state has been messing with my post. 

What I meant to write was :

"I suspect they are being deliberately vague to discourage travel generally with the idea that if you can't work out what the rules say, then you have no way of knowing how to apply them."

Ed. 

4 minutes ago, David Williams said:

If that is true then they don't understand the British, if it is not specifically banned then it  is allowed - there are a few extensions to that rule named after Cummings !

True, but also working on the basis that people might decide not to respect the two weeks quarantine (or 'quatorzaine' as they are calling it over here as it's for 14 days and not 40) on arrival in France but know they'll have to do so on their return to the UK. Perhaps they think that's sufficient disuasion. Ed. 

I think the French are still hoping for this not to be needed. Why would a country with a higher rate of infection impose quarantine on those coming from countries with lower rates?

Valllance and others have said just that, so perhaps common sense will prevail across all the obstacles?

After the Spanish tourism minister announced that the french/spanish border would open on 22 June, the Spanish PM, two hours later, said no, the border won't open until 1 July

8 minutes ago, BigDW1946 said:

After the Spanish tourism minister announced that the french/spanish border would open on 22 June, the Spanish PM, two hours later, said no, the border won't open until 1 July

What's wrong with these politicians that they are unable to coordinate the slightest thing, even within the same country?

We almost need some sort of all-encompassing body, above nation states, which could make laws, take inportant decisions, manage crises and collect and distribute funds for important projects. It could be called a 'Unified Europe' or similar and they could have a central office with just a few key staff somewhere central like the Low Countries.

It'd never work of course. We can but dream!

Ed

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What's wrong with these politicians that they are unable to coordinate the slightest thing, even within the same country!

Ed that’s how it’s always been, you of all people should know that!

We almost need some sort of all-encompassing body, above nation states, which could make laws, take inportant decisions, manage crises and collect and distribute funds for important projects. It could be called a 'Unified Europe' or similar and they could have a central office with just a few key staff somewhere central like the Low Countries.

No comment, there would be no tin opener large enough to open the can of worms that would unleash

It'd never work of course. We can but dream!

Correct, it would never, ever work..

Back on topic it will be interesting to read Christophe Mathieu’s musing today but I have a feeling we’re going to be hearing about Portsmouth - Caen opening for car passengers shortly. I had heard through the grapevine they had planned to have started already but conflicting smoke signals from different governments have doused that flame. Don’t expect the whole fleet to fire up though - his comments about a staggered restart make sense, we heard yesterday that Irish Ferries are finally putting the WB Yeats on Dublin -Cherbourg as of next Wednesday to replace Epsilon and I get the impression the various ferry companies have been watching each other’s schedules with interest. Stena Horizon disembarked 60 odd private cars last Sunday in the hope that quarantine will no longer be required once they return. 

It will be nice to get back just to see family. There are worst places than rural France to be holed up but we haven’t seen the kids for 4 months and Mrs FW is fretting...

Chris

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Back on topic it will be interesting to read Christophe Mathieu’s musing today but I have a feeling we’re going to be hearing about Portsmouth - Caen opening for car passengers shortly. I had heard through the grapevine they had planned to have started already but conflicting smoke signals from different governments have doused that flame. Don’t expect the whole fleet to fire up though - his comments about a staggered restart make sense,

Surely they must announce the cancellations today, it is only about 10 days until the whole fleet is meant to be back !

Given the comments, I would expect MSM & Cap Finistere to start taking limited passengers come the 16th, any other ships they restart would probably depend on freight demands at the moment,

I note that the manage your booking facility has not been working for the last few days, it went down after it was pointed out that it still referred to the RCN option ! Their web team is not covering itself with glory !

3 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

, we heard yesterday that Irish Ferries are finally putting the WB Yeats on Dublin -Cherbourg as of next Wednesday

WB Yeats showing on the schedule departing Dublin/ Cherbourg  for next Tue the 9th .

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

Their web team is not covering itself with glory !

Steady on David, one of them lurks on here from time to time and is quite a nice chap really, don't ruin his day too much ......ūü§£

Chris

I'm still curious to know as to how passengers and their cars can travel to a ferry port here in Ireland , as of  Monday the  8th the restriction on traveling from you home is being extended to 20 km ,so unless you live within that radius from the port what good is it if Irish Ferries or Stena are taking passengers and cars , is there some way around the 20 km restriction from home .

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Steady on David, one of them lurks on here from time to time and is quite a nice chap really, don't ruin his day too much ......ūü§£

Chris

I am sure that they are all lovely people, however:-

1) Manage Booking has been down for a few days

2) The new Contact form fails regularly - that is web forms 101  !

3) The booking system still has some bugs when moving around the forms - usually based on previous behavior.

4) The CEO said in one of his notes that if outbound is cancelled you can go online and modify the return only to come back a couple of days later saying 'sorry the software doesn't allow that'

The method of managing customer contacts is a shambles with little or no feedback causing customers to resend the request.

BF have never been able to manage multiple cancellations properly, however with a decent customer contact system and a few more options in the software they could, however the priority of their web makeovers has always been style over substance.

I would be happy for the nice chap to refute this.

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 2

One of the problems with the website is that it tries to compromise between a suitable design for computer and a design for smart phones, and I think it suffers from not being very good for either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chef said:

I'm still curious to know as to how passengers and their cars can travel to a ferry port here in Ireland , as of  Monday the  8th the restriction on traveling from you home is being extended to 20 km ,so unless you live within that radius from the port what good is it if Irish Ferries or Stena are taking passengers and cars , is there some way around the 20 km restriction from home .

It looks like the Irish government is relaxing restrictions faster than originally expected.  It would appear that, from Monday, Irish residents will be able to travel throughout their own county and up to 20km into a neighbouring county.  This will enable a significant amount of the population to travel to Dublin Port and Rosslare Europort. 

10 minutes ago, Buzzbee said:

It looks like the Irish government is relaxing restrictions faster than originally expected.  It would appear that, from Monday, Irish residents will be able to travel throughout their own county and up to 20km into a neighbouring county.  This will enable a significant amount of the population to travel to Dublin Port and Rosslare Europort. 

As of Monday 20km radius from your home only , nothing in relation to neighbouring counties . 

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0605/1145568-covid19-coronavirus-phase-2-restrictions/

Meanwhile, travel for Irish people to countries where Covid-19 has been successfully supressed will return in a number of weeks, Minister for Business, Enterprise and Innovation Heather Humphreys has said. Minister Humphreys told RT√Č's Morning Ireland that the Government plans to reintroduce air travel through "airbridges",¬†which will allow travel to countries where the curve has been "flattened"¬†to the same degree as it has here. She said she would not encourage people to book holidays yet,¬†but she said¬†plans are in place and will be activated as soon as it is safe to do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chef said:

As of Monday 20km radius from your home only , nothing in relation to neighbouring counties . 

An evolving situation.  It now appears that from Monday Irish residents will be able to travel anywhere in their own county, and up to 20km from their home into a neighbouring county.  In terms of ferry travel it would suggest that Dublin residents, about 1.4 million of them, will be able to visit Dublin Port and Wexford residents, about 149,000 of them, will be able to use Rosslare Europort.  

5 hours ago, David Williams said:

Given the comments, I would expect MSM & Cap Finistere to start taking limited passengers come the 16th, any other ships they restart would probably depend on freight demands at the moment,

Yes, it would be relatively easy to start taking passengers from the 16th utilising the "freight routes" that have been in operation.

14 minutes ago, Buzzbee said:

In terms of ferry travel it would suggest that Dublin residents, about 1.4 million of them, will be able to visit Dublin Port

Chris, get ready! The hordes are about to arrive! Ed. 

• Haha 2

On 26/05/2020 at 08:07, JohnMustow said:

Hope so we moved heaven and earth to change from Bilboa-Portsmouth 16th July to Bilboa-Rosslare 6th July!

John, you'll be happy to hear that Ireland's Taoiseach has announced that internal travel restrictions are being removed from 29 June.  Hotels and restaurants can re-open from that date.  Helps increase the chances of the 6 July Bilbao-Rosslare sailing taking passengers.

• Like 1