Le Quiberon

Re-Start of BF Passenger Services

Coronavirus: EU wants all borders re-opened by the end of the month

All EU member states should lift their temporary coronavirus travel restrictions on each other by the end of the month, Brussels has said. The EU’s home affairs commissioner, Ylva Johansson, was speaking ahead of a virtual meeting of national home affairs ministers on Friday. The 27 member states will discuss how to restore freedom of movement as the pandemic abates across the continent, with many EU countries no longer reporting daily coronavirus deaths.“I think we’re coming very close to a situation where we should lift all the internal border restrictions and border checks,” Ms Johansson told the channel Euronews. “I’m going to propose that the member states should lift all the internal border checks as soon as possible. And I think a good date should be the end of June.”

55 minutes ago, Buzzbee said:

An evolving situation.  It now appears that from Monday Irish residents will be able to travel anywhere in their own county, and up to 20km from their home into a neighbouring county.  In terms of ferry travel it would suggest that Dublin residents, about 1.4 million of them, will be able to visit Dublin Port and Wexford residents, about 149,000 of them, will be able to use Rosslare Europort.  

My apologies for my earlier post as I had not heard the breaking news .

Posted (edited)

Might need a bigger ship on the Rosslare to Bilbao/Roscoff  route .

Edited by Chef

10 minutes ago, Chef said:

Might need a bigger ship on the Rosslare to Bilbao/Roscoff  route .

I'd take any ship big or small as long as its sailing Rosslare-Roscoff on 29th June 😁

25 minutes ago, Chef said:

My apologies for my earlier post as I had not heard the breaking news .

It was probably drowned out by the sound of the population sharpening their corkscrews in anticipation. Ed. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Chris, get ready! The hordes are about to arrive! Ed. 

I'm not hanging out the bunting for a while yet Ed - I've just come back from delivering wine to the Epsilon, they have 48 passengers on this evening's sailing to Dublin Port - and that's including freight drivers. Talking to a friend who works at their call centre yesterday, she reckons most of them are just plain confused at the moment, can we travel within Ireland, will we be allowed to get out of the port, do we need documentation, what about quarantine etc etc I'm sure the same applies to Brits as well, there are so many mixed messages coming out at the moment nobody is quite sure what's going on...

Hopefully Christophe Mathieu will bring some glad tidings in 52 minutes

Chris

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

I'm not hanging out the bunting for a while yet Ed - I've just come back from delivering wine to the Epsilon, they have 48 passengers on this evening's sailing to Dublin Port - and that's including freight drivers. Talking to a friend who works at their call centre yesterday, she reckons most of them are just plain confused at the moment, can we travel within Ireland, will we be allowed to get out of the port, do we need documentation, what about quarantine etc etc I'm sure the same applies to Brits as well, there are so many mixed messages coming out at the moment nobody is quite sure what's going on...

Chris

The confusion and lack of clarity is the biggest issue.

9 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Chris

Now he is saying that the news will be on Tuesday with cancellations and consolidated sailings (same thing as cancellations !)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, veryoldbear said:

I think Christophe is confused as the rest of us. I wouldn't want his job at the moment.

If you were to look in as an outsider and go by the various review sites around you would think that Christophe has provided a text book example of how not to handle an impossible situation if the buck stops with him then he’s made a right old mess of things, but no I wouldn’t want his job either.

4 hours ago, neilcvx said:

If you were to look in as an outsider and go by the various review sites around you would think that Christophe has provided a text book example of how not to handle an impossible situation if the buck stops with him then he’s made a right old mess of things, but no I wouldn’t want his job either.

It's an impossible task. The goalposts move every day and whatever he does is going to be wrong.

It's all well and good that WB Yeats is sailing to France from Tuesday but as yet the french haven't opened up their borders to tourists, so Dubliners won't be arriving in their hordes as yet. One joy from the present crisis is that WB Yeats won't be overrun by gangs of school kids like last year. 

Posted (edited)

An article in todays Irish Times addresses the issue of the 20km travel restriction within Ireland for those wishing to travel to ferry or air ports for onward travel abroad , a boarding pass or documentation confirming you booking  will be sufficient to allow you to travel beyond the 20km restriction to your departure point according to Gardaí . Which means the entire country can access all the ferry ports.

Edited by Chef
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Chef said:

An article in todays Irish Times addresses the issue of the 20km travel restriction within Ireland for those wishing to travel to ferry or air ports for onward travel abroad , a boarding pass or documentation confirming you booking  will be sufficient to allow you to travel beyond the 20km restriction to your departure point according to Gardaí . Which means the entire country can access all the ferry ports.

I think it's safe to say that this arrangement will be extended to those travelling from Northern Ireland as well .

• Like 1

I just read yesterday's update. The final line is:

"Wherever you are, please stay safe and well"

I wonder how that went down with those the company left stranded on the Costa del COVID? 

I can't help thinking that if they had continued carrying those passengers with valid reasons for travelling (as DFDS and the tunnel have done) then it would make the restart so much easier as the experience acquired on CF and MSM could then be applied to the rest of the fleet.

Ed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

I just read yesterday's update. The final line is:

"Wherever you are, please stay safe and well"

I wonder how that went down with those the company left stranded on the Costa del COVID? 

I can't help thinking that if they had continued carrying those passengers with valid reasons for travelling (as DFDS and the tunnel have done) then it would make the restart so much easier as the experience acquired on CF and MSM could then be applied to the rest of the fleet.

Ed. 

I was more annoyed when he kept on saying how lovely the weather was in Brittany !

• Haha 2

On 04/06/2020 at 19:51, Cabin-boy said:

True, but also working on the basis that people might decide not to respect the two weeks quarantine (or 'quatorzaine' as they are calling it over here as it's for 14 days and not 40) on arrival in France but know they'll have to do so on their return to the UK. Perhaps they think that's sufficient disuasion. Ed. 

I have just received a link from service-public.fr about the Quarantine and for the first time I have seen that there is an exemption for arrivals by modes other than air:

"Ne sont pas concernés par la quatorzaine :

• les voyageurs en provenance des États membres de l'Union européenne suivants : Allemagne, Autriche, Belgique, Bulgarie, Chypre, Croatie, Danemark, Estonie, Finlande, Grèce, Hongrie, Irlande, Italie, Lettonie, Lituanie, Luxembourg, Malte, Pologne, Portugal, Pays-Bas, République tchèque, Roumanie, Slovaquie, Slovénie, Suède ainsi que les pays : Andorre, Islande, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norvège, Saint-Marin, Suisse, Vatican ;
  • les voyageurs en provenance d'Espagne ou du Royaume-Uni par un autre moyen que l'avion (train, route, bateau...)."

This surely makes a significant different to the prospects for Brittany Ferries.  I wonder whether this has been spotted.

The document is https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/actualites/A14060?xtor=EPR-100

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/06/2020 at 18:57, David Williams said:

Re quarantine, I note that the French quarantine is voluntary. https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-UK-and-French-travel-and-quarantine-measures#t2-Travellers-entering-France-from-the-UK

I also note that it is based on departure Country so one could do UK - Spain - France in July without 'Voluntary' quarantine.

Do France have a different definition of Voluntary ?

"il est appelé au civisme et au sens des responsabilités des voyageurs pour mettre en œuvre cette précaution sanitaire" - a civic duty

On 02/06/2020 at 12:11, veryoldbear said:

The number of passengers for which a ferry is rated is normally dictated by SOLAS and ferries like those of BF will normally have enough cabins plus reclining seats to accomodate that number. You may all have been on a BF vessel during the summer when they are running close to capacity with full car decks plus extra foot PAX usually school groups. It's pandemonium and the self-service restaurants have a hard time. Restricting capacity to available cabin berths seems reasonable enough. However, if any of you have done survival at sea training you will problem observe that maintaining social distancing in an emergency would be a bit of a laugh.

Interesting that BF are talking about cabins being compulsory.  For DFDS Newhaven-Dieppe, which have been running throughout, the policy is the opposite: "Cabins are unavailable to tourism traffic."

16 minutes ago, Yorky said:

I have just received a link from service-public.fr about the Quarantine and for the first time I have seen that there is an exemption for arrivals by modes other than air:

"Ne sont pas concernés par la quatorzaine :

• les voyageurs en provenance des États membres de l'Union européenne suivants : Allemagne, Autriche, Belgique, Bulgarie, Chypre, Croatie, Danemark, Estonie, Finlande, Grèce, Hongrie, Irlande, Italie, Lettonie, Lituanie, Luxembourg, Malte, Pologne, Portugal, Pays-Bas, République tchèque, Roumanie, Slovaquie, Slovénie, Suède ainsi que les pays : Andorre, Islande, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norvège, Saint-Marin, Suisse, Vatican ;
  • les voyageurs en provenance d'Espagne ou du Royaume-Uni par un autre moyen que l'avion (train, route, bateau...)."

This surely makes a significant different to the prospects for Brittany Ferries.  I wonder whether this has been spotted.

The document is https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/actualites/A14060?xtor=EPR-100

Well that's odd to say the least. But as you say, assuming the borders open as planned on 16 June then no quarantine period will apply to ferry passengers. We'll have to wait until Tuesday's update to see if that's what BF have also understood to be the case. Thanks Yorky! 

As an aside, I tweeted Manche Iles Express this morning to ask them if they had any news and their reply that they were hoping for a restart after 15 June now makes perfect sense in the context. If true, I fully intend to be on a ferry to Jersey (space permitting) and do my Minquiers trip the following weekend. 

Ed

• Like 2

Irish Ferries' website confirms WB Yeats taking over french route from Epsilon on Tuesday. Interesting to note that unlike BF reclining seats are available to book, and all 4 berth cabins with one occupant are fully booked (assume freight drivers). 
Well pleased with the article in Saturday's Irish Times in which Guardia confirm that we can cross county boundaries to reach the ports. I had always thought we could but my wife had doubts. Now vindicated. On starting blocks to book Pont Aven from Cork at the end of the month

19 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Timetables on BF website not loading at present - update in progress?

Seems ok now, they had this issue a couple of times last week. 
However the manage booking function is still not working and the contact us form is still flaky !

Why don't they have just one website?  With a choice of language at the top, French holiday sites manage to do that. Any problems then head office would see it straight away, not have to wait for someone to say "the English site isn't working" they might kick the web designers up the rear a bit quicker.

• Like 1