Re-Start of BF Passenger Services

13 minutes ago, Millsy said:

That's fine but you have to have reserves as well. The businesses that survive this will have been cash rich and will ensure they are again in the future. The others will go into liquidation with nothing to pay anybody. Go Outdoors who called in the administrators were turning over 2.4Bn in the last full year for which figures are available but only had £1.4m in cash - about the same as they paid the board. No doubt there will be a pre-pack here but nobody was going to get anything anyway. (And to be frank how many outdoor chains does the High Street need? All these sports goods chains are basket cases anyway.)

That was the trick Mike Ashley at Sports Direct learned early on in his career. That why he ended up being able to buy well known high street names and brands for almost nothing. Cash is king always has been and always will be.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you read what Roué has told us, it is jaw dropping! Some of us have been vociferously critical of BF, even suggesting that we could do a better job. Consider the following. 780,000 normal fo

I am pleased to report proactive contact from BF Customer Services in recent days. The revised timetable issued last week removed both of the sailings we were booked on [into Le Havre and Poole].

Well here we are all, after an uneventful crossing from Portsmouth on the MSM. Loading was a little slow with some mysterious colour coding in evidence, and we were 30 minutes late off the quay, but o

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Millsy said:

That's fine but you have to have reserves as well. The businesses that survive this will have been cash rich and will ensure they are again in the future. The others will go into liquidation with nothing to pay anybody. Go Outdoors who called in the administrators were turning over 2.4Bn in the last full year for which figures are available but only had £1.4m in cash - about the same as they paid the board. No doubt there will be a pre-pack here but nobody was going to get anything anyway. (And to be frank how many outdoor chains does the High Street need? All these sports goods chains are basket cases anyway.)

Sitting on huge cash reserves is actually poor financial management because that cash isn't earning anything for the company. In normal times companies have cash coming in constantly and they are able to use that to pay the bills, with the money for the sailings in the future paying for the bills now on the assumption that there will be future fares to pay the bills for the sailings that the current income is for. It's the same way that those of us paying NI contributions now are actually funding the pensions of current pensioners rather than that money being put away for when we retire.

They have started to adjust the sailings by  stopping bookings - for example the Normandie does not become available to the 12th July overnight and the Bretagne the 17th July - I  just won my bet on Ed's price prediction

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
40 minutes ago, elaine80 said:

Sitting on huge cash reserves is actually poor financial management because that cash isn't earning anything for the company. In normal times companies have cash coming in constantly and they are able to use that to pay the bills, with the money for the sailings in the future paying for the bills now on the assumption that there will be future fares to pay the bills for the sailings that the current income is for. It's the same way that those of us paying NI contributions now are actually funding the pensions of current pensioners rather than that money being put away for when we retire.

I'm afraid I take a very old fashioned view on this - reinforced by being left unpaid by a customer last December who was using inter company loans to make the balance sheet look OK but was brought down by one bad debt of £15,000. This followed investigating a group that had three companies carrying inter company debt of over £4m and when they went bust had I think £135 in the bank total. It fell as usual into the hands of another as a pre-pack and the staff, suppliers, banks - and as usual us via HMRC - got sweet FA. Cash enables you to amongst other things pay your suppliers on timepay your debts (though this seems not to be seen as important in modern corporate accounting) and cope with the unexpected. OK we are in difficult times but many a large company couldn't pay its on demand debts on demand in normal periods - abnormality will naturally be terminal.

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, David Williams said:

They have started to adjust the sailings by  stopping bookings - for example the Normandie does not become available to the 12th July overnight and the Bretagne the 17th July - I  just won my bet on Ed's price prediction

just done a dummy booking on the Poole Cherbourg route which appears only to be available from the 31st August.Prior to that all bookings are shown as full..Prices seem to be in line with what they have been all season. The return crossing date, I used, was mid September and they were even selling seats in the Commodore class lounge. Interesting

13 minutes ago, veryoldbear said:

It would be interesting to know if these various aberrations were intentional or due to some mysterious internal cockup in the booking software. Demand management vesus bugs.

Now that is a very good question!!

At least The Group don't have to worry about paying for the tonnage they own unlike say I.F with WBY & Stena for the E-flexers, I assume the latter are also still paying Tallink for the Belfast Superfasts? 

Under European law do we get compensation if the 'sailing updates' update is updated later than announced on the 'sailing updates' page that I'm updating regularly to check the up-to-date news about which date sailings might restart on? 

Ed. 

13 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Under European law do we get compensation if the 'sailing updates' update is updated later than announced on the 'sailing updates' page that I'm updating regularly to check the up-to-date news about which date sailings might restart on? 

Ed. 

It depends if the European law gets updated.

31 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ed. 

yes but its 186,000 words to read first. But don`t forget the updates to it as well..

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Paully said:

yes but its 186,000 words to read first. But don`t forget the updates to it as well..

and you have got to decide what language to read it in, there are some dodgy translators out there who translate Union as Cabbage and that could be vital

• Haha 3

Our July 4th sailing has been cancelled as it was aboard Normandie at 0830 so we'll cancel the return on the 11th aboard MSM. We've booked DFDS from Newhaven instead.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jonno said:

Our July 4th sailing has been cancelled as it was aboard Normandie at 0830 so we'll cancel the return on the 11th aboard MSM. We've booked DFDS from Newhaven instead.

Welcome to the new, simplified world of ferry travel. Ed. 

5 minutes ago, jonno said:

At probably half the price..Anyway, anyone know what`s happened to `Comical Ali`s` latest non event update?..was due 2 hours ago but nothing so far.. 

Edited by Paully
25 minutes ago, jonno said:

When you mentioned the encouraging email, I did think that it sounded like an encouragement to cancel so they did not have to refund you. I think that is very dodgy practice.

2 minutes ago, David Williams said:

When you mentioned the encouraging email, I did think that it sounded like an encouragement to cancel so they did not have to refund you. I think that is very dodgy practice.

Didn't they also say that Barfleur wasn't coming out to play too? The timetable is all there through July and the Saturday July 4th sailing is full... our alternate plan was to travel this way and relieve Chris of a few boxes of wine, oh well.

31 minutes ago, Paully said:

At probably half the price..Anyway, anyone know what`s happened to `Comical Ali`s` latest non event update?..was due 2 hours ago but nothing so far.. 

We would've needed to amend the booking anyway as the new van due on the 30th is almost 1.5m longer than the one we've PX'd. Yeah is was cheaper, £281 return.

9 minutes ago, jonno said:

The timetable is all there through July and the Saturday July 4th sailing is full

They appear to be initially closing down availability on cancelled sailings and then updating the timetable - it seems to be a slow process