Jump to content
Le Quiberon

Re-Start of BF Passenger Services

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

There’s also the fact that you need a vaccine as there’s no guarantee that you can’t catch the virus again after having it , the “herd immunity “ theory is a real danger.

Well, if there is no such thing as an immunity then it is difficult to see how a vaccine could possibly work.  Vaccines work on the basis of giving you a little bit of the virus so you develop an immunity to it.  If catching it does not lead to immunity then a vaccine certainly won’t.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having said that, they key word in Neil’s post is “guarantee”.  No vaccine ever “guarantees” you can’t develop the illness, just as catching an illness never “guarantees” you cannot get it again.  Guarantee is the wrong concept - the question is whether catching it / being vaccinated improves the odds of not catching it again.  And in that respect there is no reason to think CV19 will behave differently from any other virus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gareth said:

Well, if there is no such thing as an immunity then it is difficult to see how a vaccine could work.  Vaccines work on the basis of giving you a little bit of the virus so you develop an immunity to it.  If catching it does not lead to immunity then a vaccine certainly won’t.

From background reading (and I've done a dig and can't find the article) it's not a case of a binary call between immunity or not, it seems to be more a case of how long-lived it is. The suggestion is that immunity for some after having COVID-19 may be as short-lived as a few weeks, for others it is longer. 

A vaccine is expected to prompt a longer term immunity because it's not the same form of the disease going into the body, but it's not known how long for and could require booster vaccines on a periodical basis.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

There’s also the fact that you need a vaccine as there’s no guarantee that you can’t catch the virus again after having it , the “herd immunity “ theory is a real danger.

You might not be able to catch THAT strain of the virus, but as I have said, viruses mutate and while you might be immune to the one you have had the vaccine for, it doesn’t mean you will be immune to another strain of it.  The trick IS to detect new strains as quickly as possible, and where they come from.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do they not change the flu jab every year depending on the strain it is?so if a vaccine does come out for corona 19 .i would of thought the scientific people would be looking into the different strains just like the flu jabs.in anycase lets all hope a vaccine comes out sooner than later.you all look after yourselves put there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we have to be positive and pray we do get a vaccine. Work going on at University of Oxford on a vacinne sounds extremely promising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, nodwad said:

Do they not change the flu jab every year depending on the strain it is?so if a vaccine does come out for corona 19 .i would of thought the scientific people would be looking into the different strains just like the flu jabs.in anycase lets all hope a vaccine comes out sooner than later.you all look after yourselves put there.

It's based on a prediction of what will be the most prevalent strains. A few years ago they didn't judge it well and saw an expansion in cases.

 

10 minutes ago, Nick Hyde said:

I think we have to be positive and pray we do get a vaccine. Work going on at University of Oxford on a vacinne sounds extremely promising.

Consensus seems to be there will be one, but the uncertainty is around time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gareth said:

The silver lining is that there IS a vaccine developed, every year, for the various strains of the flu virus that mutate every year.

The flu jab may technically change every year to cope with new strains but it's basically the same, they just alter the potency of the same "A" or "B" vaccine.

Not the best analogy I know but... consider how you would mix white and red paint for the right shade of pink you want, it's the same paint just in different amounts.

The issue with COVID is the same as with MERS but the advantage we have with CV-19 is that it's far less aggressive hence why 97% of cases worldwide are mild... it isn't the actual virus which kills but the hosts own anomalies in their genes which trigger their immune system to overreact killing healthy cells too.

A bit like Systemic Lupus which is a disease where your own immune system attacks you. There is work in progress on immuno-suppressants given to Lupus and transplant patients, the latter must take them in order for the body to not reject the donor organ. Mycophenolate in a far weaker state is one in conjunction with immunoglobulin which is sourced from donor blood.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jim said:

It's based on a prediction of what will be the most prevalent strains. A few years ago they didn't judge it well and saw an expansion in cases.

 

Consensus seems to be there will be one, but the uncertainty is around 

They also need time to make sure any vaccine is safe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully we will know more from BF next week once the UK quarantine arrangements have been announced today - I would expect BF to restart limited passenger sailings once France and Spain allow entry

Not sure where this should be discussed now the quarantine and 'BF new normal' threads are locked !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Not sure where this should be discussed now the quarantine and 'BF new normal' threads are locked !

Here seems as good a place as any as long as we stick to the facts. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Hopefully we will know more from BF next week once the UK quarantine arrangements have been announced today - I would expect BF to restart limited passenger sailings once France and Spain allow entry

Not sure where this should be discussed now the quarantine and 'BF new normal' threads are locked !

 

I think this will depend on reciprocity. Not much good if France and Spain are open, but everyone arriving in UK is subject to 14 days quarantine. I have an itch that says the reason they say they will review UK quarantine, is to coordinate with a potential 15th June date, yet to be agreed, with all 3 countries mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Hopefully we will know more from BF next week once the UK quarantine arrangements have been announced today - I would expect BF to restart limited passenger sailings once France and Spain allow entry

Not sure where this should be discussed now the quarantine and 'BF new normal' threads are locked !

Pending no change to “R” values the Spanish borders are to be opened to neighbouring Schengen countries on the 15th June although arrivals into Spain will have to give an address and self quarantine for 14 days subject to GC checks.  U.K. is still regarded as EU until 31 December but never has been in Schengen so not sure if U.K. - Spain travel will be open.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally have no trouble with a 14 day quarantine when arriving home as long as I don't need to in France and Spain - however I may just restrict my July / August trip to our flat in Normandy and drop the touring part of our holiday -

If France and Spain open but the UK has quarantine, I would expect a few ships to stay laid up so will make sure that we book the MSM 

I believe that Priti Patel will be doing the daily press conference today so should know more by then - as an aside I am always amused by the box that she stands on behind the lecturn as they don't have adjustable lecturns in number 10 !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PIP ready for when passengers return to BF services

Port installs thermal camera to screen for fever

image.gif.0f06f4badf04f3d5992c2bec29ccc828.gif
Portsmouth International PortCopyright: Portsmouth International Port

Portsmouth International Port has installed a thermal scanner to screen departing passengers for coronavirus symptoms.

It believes it is the first UK port in the UK to deploy the technology.

The camera will be available to test foot passengers on ferries and cruise ships once travel restrictions are eased.

However, scientists say not all people with coronavirus have a raised temperature.

But where an infected traveller does display the symptom, they would trigger an alarm and a medical team would decide whether to allow them to travel.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, she who must be obeyed has just said 14 day quarantine from 8th June. Exemptions for CI, IOM, Ireland, with fines for refusing to fill in the "contact" form and heavy fine for breaking quarantine. Fines in England only, other nations to decide on that aspect for themselves.

Are BF really going to open much from 15th? One route taking passengers, acting as a trial perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, colin said:

Well, she who must be obeyed has just said 14 day quarantine from 8th June. Exemptions for CI, IOM, Ireland, with fines for refusing to fill in the "contact" form and heavy fine for breaking quarantine. Fines in England only, other nations to decide on that aspect for themselves.

Are BF really going to open much from 15th? One route taking passengers, acting as a trial perhaps?

If France is open, then allowing passengers on MSM makes sense, as does the end of June for Cap Finistere, however nothing is answered by the announcement.

The start of UK quarantine is 8 June with a review on the 29 June, thus in theory it may be over from some countries in July, however Priti has just said that this is nothing to do with holidays !

Edited by David Williams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  •  
  • BFE Members
  •  
  • 27 posts
On 11/05/2020 at 15:25, David Williams said:

You don't get the free breakfast in Economie and the Normandie won't be on that route for a while sadly !

However my July trip is in a Commodore cabin to Spain & I was looking forward to the CV credit plus the Commodore credit to have a decent breakfast, I suspect that will end up as a carrier bag in the new normal

I am not sure that breakfast is top of my priorities at the moment. In two weeks time BF will ask for the balance for my Santander crossing and I am very nearly deciding to cancel and ask for the credit note. I will rather have a £300 credit note than a £1300 one! My worry is what is going to be open in Spain in the way of hotels and restaurants and it is a very expensive gamble.

 

David Williams

  • BFE Members
  •  
  • 974 posts
On 11/05/2020 at 21:12, mjturner said:

I am not sure that breakfast is top of my priorities at the moment. In two weeks time BF will ask for the balance for my Santander crossing and I am very nearly deciding to cancel and ask for the credit note. I will rather have a £300 credit note than a £1300 one! My worry is what is going to be open in Spain in the way of hotels and restaurants and it is a very expensive gamble.

Not an easy decision, our balance is due next week for Santander out, Caen back. We have decided to risk it at this stage and have added a couple of our refund vouchers to reduce the final balance.


Getting back on my thoughts on BF taking the balance payment for July crossings, that thread was closed down so I have copied it here. My balance was to be taken on Friday 29th May but as I have not had a reply to my request, nor likely to by their reply times, for a voucher, I have altered the trip to a September crossing so that the balance is not due until July. I do not want BF taking the balance before replying to my request, so having to give me a credit note for £1300 instead of £300. I would be very interested to hear what other members have done.
 
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

My worry is what is going to be open in Spain in the way of hotels and restaurants and it is a very expensive gamble.

Even if hotels and bars are open it might not be a very relaxing holiday exoerience given all the social distancing complications both in travelling to and from and while you are over there plus who knows how long the isolation on return requirement will be in force?

The 'holiday countries' are desperate to try and salvage some of their summer season and are taking political decisions which might not be as safe as one would like. Getting the virus over here would be bad enough, catching it in a foreign country with different medical facilities and where you may not be totally fluent in the language would be a nightmare. If one person in a party is diagnosed and hospiltalised what then happens to the others?

On balance best to cut your losses as much as you can in my view. There is always next year when things may just possibly be different - fingers firmly crossed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mjturner said:
  •  
  • Getting back on my thoughts on BF taking the balance payment for July crossings, that thread was closed down so I have copied it here. My balance was to be taken on Friday 29th May but as I have not had a reply to my request, nor likely to by their reply times, for a voucher, I have altered the trip to a September crossing so that the balance is not due until July. I do not want BF taking the balance before replying to my request, so having to give me a credit note for £1300 instead of £300. I would be very interested to hear what other members have done.
 

Looking at responses to tweets, if you request the balance as a RCN and they subsequently take the balance, when they get to your request they should refund the balance, however it is always safer to send a DM in advance and Jane can usually do something.

I allowed the balance to be taken after adding a couple of credit notes to reduce it, however am still considering whether to change the booking given today's news which is likely to lead to more cancellations  & I would rather change my booking to ships that are more likely to sail (ie MSM instead of Pont Aven). Note that prior to the main cancellations Pont Aven and the Etretat were the first cancellations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cancelled my booking and took a credit note thankfully we are in a financial situation that allows us to do that , we had already paid the full amount due to an administrative error by BF at the time of booking, judging by the comments on the various review sites it’s not easy getting a cash refund.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's CEO update has a hidden gem

" We will also be asking you to arrive in ports 90 minutes before departure (as opposed to 45) so that we can stagger boarding and prevent queues on car decks, on stairs and in other areas on the ship.

Likewise, disembarkation will be staggered. This will ensure we can safely get everyone back to their cars at the end of a journey with as little risk of queues and unnecessary contact with other."

Unless this is just to give them some flexibility, I am not sure how  the 3 crossings a day Caen route will function with slower boarding and more cleaning - maybe that will have to switch to 2 crossings a day per ship,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...