Re-Start of BF Passenger Services

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you read what Roué has told us, it is jaw dropping! Some of us have been vociferously critical of BF, even suggesting that we could do a better job. Consider the following. 780,000 normal fo

I am pleased to report proactive contact from BF Customer Services in recent days. The revised timetable issued last week removed both of the sailings we were booked on [into Le Havre and Poole].

Well here we are all, after an uneventful crossing from Portsmouth on the MSM. Loading was a little slow with some mysterious colour coding in evidence, and we were 30 minutes late off the quay, but o

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I also note that they have changed the Portsmouth - Caen timings to add 15 mins to the turnaround,

35 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I also note that they have changed the Portsmouth - Caen timings to add 15 mins to the turnaround,

That's for the 'enhanced cleaning' as they now have to actually plug the vacuum.cleaners in rather than just wave then in the general direction of the cabins.

Ed. 

• Haha 4
Just now, Cabin-boy said:

That's for the 'enhanced cleaning' as they now have to actually plug the vacuum.cleaners in rather than just wave then in the general direction of the cabins.

Ed. 

That will come as a shock to the cabins

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, David Williams said:

The freight timetable is a good source of info on the new schedules

https://www.brittanyferriesfreight.co.uk/media/pdf/n/7/Cross_Channel_July_2020.pdf

¬†I've been looking at Caen/Portsmouth 25 July and the freight timetable¬†is different to the passenger timetable¬†for all three of the sailings (same for the reverse).¬† For the particular one I'm thinking of, the freight timetable says 23:59/06:30 whereas the passenger timetable says 23:00/06:45.¬†ūüėē

Edited by Buzz
4 minutes ago, Buzz said:

¬†I've been looking at Caen/Portsmouth 25 July and the freight timetable¬†is different to the passenger timetable¬†for all three of the sailings (same for the reverse).¬† For the particular one I'm thinking of, the freight timetable says 23:59/06:30 whereas the passenger timetable says 23:00/06:45.¬†ūüėē

Indeed,  I would trust the paper freight timetable - It is likely to be  replicated in the online at some point & I am sure that we will all get texts !

They are giving more time for cleaning by making the overnight crossing shorter, in addition if you turn up 45 mins before the time on your ticket you are not too far off 90 mins before the new time !

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ed. 

My contact on Normandie who is one of the pursers, told me recently he was watching a member of the cleaning staff having a bit of a strop with his hoover. When approached the aforementioned cleaner muttered under his breath the @ç!??& hoover wasn't picking up properly - on closer inspection it was found to be absolutely full, obviously hadn't been emptied for weeks and he hadn't the foggiest idea how to even open it up.....:S

Absolutely true, nuff said...

Chris

Ps - I won't mention which country they were in at the time

• Sad 3

We were due to travel on the 4th July but decided to cancel. There was talk at the time that sailings would have restarted by then but we figured loading/unloading would be a pain until they'd got used to the system. The thoughts of no buffet in Le Flora didn't help and the general social distancing both on the ferry and in St Lunaire didn't really appeal. We'll just have to get our fix of Plage de Longchamps from Instagram.

I emailed BF on 16 June, got a call back on the 17th and the refund credit note arrived on the 23rd so I'm happy with the customer service we received. 

• Like 2

From the BBC website (paragraph 3 is particularly insightful!):

-------

Clarity on holiday 'air bridges' expected next week

Air bridges will be available from next week to allow Britons to take holidays in other countries without quarantining for 14 days, according to newspaper reports.

image.gif.933d312f09dc3623eaf653c20292f322.gif
Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images

The government will finalise agreements in coming days to allow people to travel from the UK to a small number of countries including Spain, France and Greece, according The Times, The Sun and The Daily Telegraph.

The news follows Transport Secretary Grant Shapps indicating air bridges would only be agreed with countries which have a coronavirus test and trace system at the same standard as that used in Britain.

Since 8 June, all passengers - bar a handful of exemptions - have been required to go into self-isolation for 14 days when they arrive in the UK.

People who fail to comply can be fined £1,000 in England, and police are allowed to use "reasonable force" to make sure they follow the rules.

-------

Ed

• Like 1

Footies from Caen

Looking for a round trip from Caen for a couple of days family and shopping in and around Portsmouth. Thought we would leave it to late July or early August. Morning departures both ways so we can use Twisto Maritime Express bus to/from Caen city centre.

But no Pieton option appears in the dropdown booking page.

Does this mean no footies this summer, or are we just waiting for the website to be returned to the new normal, if you'll pardon the phrase. Don't want to pester the phone folk unless I have to.

All info grat rec thanks

Ken

Edited by kenw

First time poster here... I was relieved when I read BF's resumption announcement as I am due out on MSM on 12 July, only to get an email yesterday reminding me that I was actually on the Normandie (poor memory and I lost the ticket!) and so my sailing was cancelled. 50mins later after a long call with customer services, I'm booked on the 13th Jul on the Normandie. So they contacted me very quickly after the announcement- hope that will be true for others in the same boat (pardon the pun)

With so many if/but's or a maybe, looking at BF's, booking website I don't think I'll be sailing any place now as they are not taking bookings for foot passengers, not even on a day trip,

I don't need to take a car as we have one on both side's of the water  and yet if I had a motorbike they would take me, so the question now is, is this a form of discrimination. ??

4 minutes ago, Eddies said:

I don't need to take a car as we have one on both side's of the water  and yet if I had a motorbike they would take me, so the question now is, is this a form of discrimination. ??

No. They can take whatever forms of traffic they choose to.

15 minutes ago, Eddies said:

With so many if/but's or a maybe, looking at BF's, booking website I don't think I'll be sailing any place now as they are not taking bookings for foot passengers, not even on a day trip,

Is your second car in Cherbourg?  I always see a lot of 'semi-abandoned' vehicles in the terminal car park there which belong to people in your situation and for whom the situation has now just got a whole lot more complicated. Ed. 

For my first post may I share this gem from the Bournemouth 'Daily Echo'?

As we know, BF are to deploy the Connemara Portsmouth-Le Havre  Mon - Wed and Portsmouth-Cherbourg Thurs - Sun.

The Echo's man describes this as:

"Brittany Ferries will also not be running routes from Portsmouth to Le Harve and Cherbourg as they will be served by Connemara."

Quite a pleasant cruise from County Galway.....

Edited by Arijaba
Punctuation
  • Haha 2
29 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

No. They can take whatever forms of traffic they choose to.

Arguably it is discrimination against the estimated  26%  of over 17s (Govt Figures) that do not have a driving licence. But someone will carry them and maybe get them for the future. 

Edited by Millsy
13 minutes ago, Millsy said:

Arguably it is discrimination against the estimated  26%  of over 17s (Govt Figures) that do not have a driving licence. But someone will carry them and maybe get them for the future. 

Looks like Eurostar us getting my money this year and next ‚ėĻÔłŹ

BF are in a fight for their lives. They simply can't afford to take actions which will not maximise near-term profits. Keeping fewer ships in service and focussing on the genuinely profitable income streams have to be the priority for this summer when demand is lower and the amount of people you can get on board is reduced and the boarding processes extended.

People can criticise but in my view it shows how much added value BF have been offering all these years: barely viable routes, year round sailings where only the Summer peak makes money, full service restaurants generally available, the very marginal business of foot passengers. It will no doubt all come back if they survive in OK shape but for now it's a case of stemming the bleeding.

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

The problem is, any passengers they turn away this season may potentially go elsewhere and never come back.

Agreed. I was going to Grenoble this year, and hopefully should have the air corridor in place. I was going overnight to Le Havre, then train to Grenoble. However, now I am taking Eurostar / TGV. It pains me to say it, but it's easier as well as quicker. So next year seriously considering that way again.

I'dmuch rather go by ferry, but there is advantages, and people who are less bothered by how they get there...

• Like 1

Hi. I'm looking for some quite urgent guidance if at all possible, and will appreciate any help or suggestions.

Our situation is this:

We have a [fully paid for] overnight crossing between Portsmouth & Le Havre on the Etretat booked on Friday/Saturday 24th July, in a dog-friendly cabin. I understand this ship will not be running, and the replacement Connemara will only serve Le Havre Mon-Weds. Connemara will only service Portsmouth-Cherbourg on Thur-Sun, and only a 9am sailing.

I'm flexible with the destination but need a dog-friendly cabin (she won't go in a kennel and would rip the inside of the car apart if left), and preferably overnight as we have a long drive ahead the following day.

The issue we have is that our accommodation needs to be paid for by the end of June but I can't commit until I know we can actually get there. If we don't pay, we lose the accommodation - and there's next to nothing decent left for a decent price.

When BF announced their curtailed summer 20 programme, I wrote to them using their online contact section, to ask for clarification as to what they intended to do with our booking, and asking to be transferred to another ship on any of the routes in a dog-friendly cabin. I wrote a follow-up yesterday once I had looked at the freight timetables and gauged the best alternative options to ask them to transfer our booking. I stressed the urgency of our situation and pleaded for a quick answer.

I've had no reply yet, and can see the alternatives (the best was the Portsmouth-Caen on the Normandie, but sacrificing a day of our holiday) are now looking fully booked so I've [pun intended] missed that boat.

I'm a bit disgusted they won't take phone calls from people who have already booked and are having their plans disrupted by BF's changes. That they can't reply within 24 or even 48 hours is shoddy customer service.

Do any of you have any other suggestions as to alternatives, or even recommend a better way to make contact with them that might generate a quicker response?

Thanks.

Welcome to BFE. You join a long queue of frustration and sadly I suspect BF see 24th July as so far away they need to deal with closer bookings first. If they are not communicating with you via the means you have listed maybe their social media channels might be the best way. I suspect the truth is that they simply can't cope. If it takes someone 5 minutes to deal with each query the most they can do in an hour is 12 or a shift say 60. And that would be good going. 

Edited by Millsy