Le Quiberon

Re-Start of BF Passenger Services

Thanks. What is the best method of contacting on social media?

Also, it's frustrating that I can't amend my booking with any confidence because the passenger timetables haven't updated to the new, revised ones yet (that are showing on the freight website)

Might have to write the whole holiday off for the year - but that creates a problem with the credit note/refund thing because we plan to do something totally different next year and I'm not going to turn my back on £700. We only get a few summers before our kids grow up and to lose one of those because you've had your plans ruined is soul destroying. Thought we were safe now that restrictions are being lifted, but thanks to BF, we're stuffed.

10 minutes ago, Weby72 said:

Thanks. What is the best method of contacting on social media?

Also, it's frustrating that I can't amend my booking with any confidence because the passenger timetables haven't updated to the new, revised ones yet (that are showing on the freight website)

Might have to write the whole holiday off for the year - but that creates a problem with the credit note/refund thing because we plan to do something totally different next year and I'm not going to turn my back on £700. We only get a few summers before our kids grow up and to lose one of those because you've had your plans ruined is soul destroying. Thought we were safe now that restrictions are being lifted, but thanks to BF, we're stuffed.

Twitter has always worked best for me, and others by the looks of it.

But facebook and instagram work too

@Weby72 - I've amended your post. Whilst I understand the frustration, labelling anyone as a 'bunch of' something is not in the spirit of the forum. Please don't do it again.

You may find a direct message on Twitter gets you some assistance. I'm sure as you can appreciate loads of people (me included) are in the same boat with things being cancelled and there's a limit to what BF can and can't do in terms of individual bookings. Hopefully you'll get a response and some help and also there will be some updates to the timetable for amendments as the UK Government confirms quarantine free travel for France (which it seems like it will do, but hasn't actually done yet). 

It’s beyond my comprehension why people are still choosing to give BF money at the moment.  They have proved time after time over the last couple of months that they are willing to take money for sailings that they know are not going to go ahead, and then hang on to it knowing it is not theirs to hang on to.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

Agreed. I was going to Grenoble this year, and hopefully should have the air corridor in place. I was going overnight to Le Havre, then train to Grenoble. However, now I am taking Eurostar / TGV. It pains me to say it, but it's easier as well as quicker. So next year seriously considering that way again.

I'dmuch rather go by ferry, but there is advantages, and people who are less bothered by how they get there...

We know that airlines are restarting with masks etc but are not, as far as I know, reducing passenger numbers. So why doesn't BF move into the airline business? Any foot passengers who wish to travel can instead take the corporate jet from Southampton or Newquay to an appropriate French airport. Ed. 

• Haha 2

The best way to contact BF still seems to be messaging on Twitter. I successfully moved a booking from NORMANDIE to MSM with minimal effort. I think the email inbox (Contact Form) is suffering from terminal constipation, and the Manage Booking part of the website can only handle very simple requests (if that). I suspect that the Manage Booking part of the website had been specified long before The Virus arrived and is unable to deal with the complexities we all have been throwing at it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VikingVoyager said:

The problem is, any passengers they turn away this season may potentially go elsewhere and never come back.

This maybe the case on routes to France however there is no competition for them with routes to Spain.

They hold the monopoly on these routes, so people are stuck with BF when it comes to bookings in future years.

1 hour ago, Weby72 said:

Hi. I'm looking for some quite urgent guidance if at all possible, and will appreciate any help or suggestions.

Our situation is this:

We have a [fully paid for] overnight crossing between Portsmouth & Le Havre on the Etretat booked on Friday/Saturday 24th July, in a dog-friendly cabin. I understand this ship will not be running, and the replacement Connemara will only serve Le Havre Mon-Weds. Connemara will only service Portsmouth-Cherbourg on Thur-Sun, and only a 9am sailing.

I'm flexible with the destination but need a dog-friendly cabin (she won't go in a kennel and would rip the inside of the car apart if left), and preferably overnight as we have a long drive ahead the following day.

The issue we have is that our accommodation needs to be paid for by the end of June but I can't commit until I know we can actually get there. If we don't pay, we lose the accommodation - and there's next to nothing decent left for a decent price.

When BF announced their curtailed summer 20 programme, I wrote to them using their online contact section, to ask for clarification as to what they intended to do with our booking, and asking to be transferred to another ship on any of the routes in a dog-friendly cabin. I wrote a follow-up yesterday once I had looked at the freight timetables and gauged the best alternative options to ask them to transfer our booking. I stressed the urgency of our situation and pleaded for a quick answer.

I've had no reply yet, and can see the alternatives (the best was the Portsmouth-Caen on the Normandie, but sacrificing a day of our holiday) are now looking fully booked so I've [pun intended] missed that boat.

I'm a bit disgusted they won't take phone calls from people who have already booked and are having their plans disrupted by BF's changes. That they can't reply within 24 or even 48 hours is shoddy customer service.

Do any of you have any other suggestions as to alternatives, or even recommend a better way to make contact with them that might generate a quicker response?

Thanks.

I suggest you contact them via twitter which I did yesterday and received a response fairly quickly that afternoon.

We are in a similar position as you, sailing out on 24th July to Santander with a dog friendly cabin.

Our boat Cap Finistere was not quoted on the list of revised boat schedule for this summer, however after yesterday's contact they have assured me it is.

I'm awaiting with "baited breath" that this will be the case and that we will not receive a cancellation letter.

Our accommodation is booked and paid for in the Algarve so we have no comeback! 

1 hour ago, veryoldbear said:

The best way to contact BF still seems to be messaging on Twitter. I successfully moved a booking from NORMANDIE to MSM with minimal effort. I think the email inbox (Contact Form) is suffering from terminal constipation, and the Manage Booking part of the website can only handle very simple requests (if that). I suspect that the Manage Booking part of the website had been specified long before The Virus arrived and is unable to deal with the complexities we all have been throwing at it.

As I have said often, the system is rubbish and not fit for purpose, however the people are great. The Twitter messages are normally managed by Jane who is great and so calmly sorts out any problems thrown her way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

It’s beyond my comprehension why people are still choosing to give BF money at the moment.  They have proved time after time over the last couple of months that they are willing to take money for sailings that they know are not going to go ahead, and then hang on to it knowing it is not theirs to hang on to.

Calm down, it will be alright on the night.

Yes they did try a few dodgy tricks to keep hold of the money as they thought they would be backed by governments, however when that failed they did start handing it back if you asked in the right way. I am quite happy booking new sailings at present and will be up early on the 22nd July to book next year.

We will need just one trip and we will forget all of this - however we should start lobbying management to make significant changes to their systems !

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, David Williams said:

As I have said often, the system is rubbish and not fit for purpose, however the people are great. The Twitter messages are normally managed by Jane who is great and so calmly sorts out any problems thrown her way.

Glad you brought this up, when other communication channels of BF were non-operational or clogged, it seems that a lot of irate customers moved to Twitter where it was incumbent on Jane to follow up. I do hope her efforts get recognised and rewarded by the company. I'm sure she was liaising with colleagues but even so, that is a lot of cases to juggle for just one employee.

Edited by zuludelta

16 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I’m perfectly calm thank you, just making an observation! 😉. With several reports and enquiries from new members, it is clear that the dirty tricks are still in operation.  I guess everyone has to make their own judgement about the risks, and different people will accept different levels of risk.  But it shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone at the moment that there is a possibility that handing money over to BF will result in that money never being seen again and the services paid for not provided.  Provided that risk is accepted then fine, people can make their own decisions.  Problem is, it appears that many of our new posters have handed money over without appreciating the risk, and it has sadly come back to bite them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We were due to sail Rossalre to Roscoff next Monday 29th June and back to Cork on July. Last Thursday with no definite news that the sailings were going ahead and the ongoing need to quarantine on return to Ireland we decided to amend them to last fortnight in September. Got on manage booking and amended the booking. The fare was less and it was noted a the end of the new booking  Balance by refund application -397.00 €

So on Saturday I dropped them an email asking when I'd receive the voucher. Got an immediate standard very busy response saying we'll reply in 7 days. On Monday i got a second email asking:

Can you confirm if you are intending to travel on those dates in Sept/Oct (and we can issue a voucher as necessary), or are you planning to further amend them?

I replied that if the ship is sailing we'll be on it! 😀

Edited by ccs147

Totally confused. BF have published a timetable for NEX Portsmouth to Cherbourg starting July. Yesterday it was stated ferry would not run this year. What’s going on? 

1 minute ago, Portbaillaise said:

Totally confused. BF have published a timetable for NEX Portsmouth to Cherbourg starting July. Yesterday it was stated ferry would not run this year. What’s going on? 

I suspect that's the old/originaltimetable and it takes some time to update on booking systems etc.

5 minutes ago, Portbaillaise said:

Yes indeed, Jim’s right.  What’s going on is that NEX is not running, and the website is not up to date.  There are some Portsmouth - Cherbourg sailings, with Connemara, but they’re not on the website yet.

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

Yes they did try a few dodgy tricks to keep hold of the money as they thought they would be backed by governments, however when that failed they did start handing it back if you asked in the right way. I am quite happy booking new sailings at present and will be up early on the 22nd July to book next year.

We will need just one trip and we will forget all of this - however we should start lobbying management to make significant changes to their systems !

Have Brittany Ferries confirmed the 22 nd July for next year's sailings being released? 

53 minutes ago, Valerie Wilton said:

Have Brittany Ferries confirmed the 22 nd July for next year's sailings being released? 

Not to the English, however they didn’t last year either. 

On the French site it says:-

Question : « Pourquoi ne puis-je pas effectuer une réservation pour un départ en 2021 et utiliser l’avoir reçu par vos services ? »

Réponse : L’ouverture des ventes des départs après le 01/11/2020 jusqu’au 01/11/2021 est programmée le 22 juillet. Dès lors que les traversées 2021 seront ouvertes à la vente vous pourrez effectuer votre réservation en utilisant votre avoir.

https://www.brittany-ferries.fr/informations/situation-sanitaire-coronavirus/nous-repondons-a-vos-questions#tab-6

3 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Not to the English, however they didn’t last year either. 

On the French site it says:-

Question : « Pourquoi ne puis-je pas effectuer une réservation pour un départ en 2021 et utiliser l’avoir reçu par vos services ? »

Réponse : L’ouverture des ventes des départs après le 01/11/2020 jusqu’au 01/11/2021 est programmée le 22 juillet. Dès lors que les traversées 2021 seront ouvertes à la vente vous pourrez effectuer votre réservation en utilisant votre avoir.

https://www.brittany-ferries.fr/informations/situation-sanitaire-coronavirus/nous-repondons-a-vos-questions#tab-6

Thank you. That's very helpful.

And don’t forget to get on their mailing list as recommended so that they can send you an email saying bookings started yesterday !

Ireland Coronavirus: Foreign travel restrictions will be eased from July 9th

Foreign travel restrictions will be eased from July 9th with travelers permitted to move between countries with similar levels of coronavirus infection. A green list will be compiled before that date detailing which countries people can travel between without having to undergo a 14-day quarantine. Mr Varadkar said the list of accepted countries could change every two weeks. “If a country ends up having a second wave, they may be taken off the list.”

Shame Mr Varadkar couldn't match up with BF's timetable but we'll chance it by catching 4 July sailing from Cork. We're leaving County Wexford (only 216 cases of Covid and few deaths) for Pyrenees Orientales (277 cases of Covid & 34 deaths with nothing new for over a month). Main risk is big influx from Paris.

Will report back.

25 minutes ago, BigDW1946 said:

Main risk is big influx from Paris.

There was a big street party in Paris on 21June for the Music Day festival which caused similar levels of concern to what the UK saw in Bournemouth, Liverpool and London recently. Whether it results in a virus spike, who knows?, but if there is an new large outbreak the authorities will probably be able to react (German-style) with local lockdowns to keep it in check. If that means Parisians being banned from leaving the capital then too bad but it also probably means my holiday will be off too as they've got the key to the place we are heading to. Ed. 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Weby72 said:

Hi. I'm looking for some quite urgent guidance if at all possible, and will appreciate any help or suggestions.

Our situation is this:

We have a [fully paid for] overnight crossing between Portsmouth & Le Havre on the Etretat booked on Friday/Saturday 24th July, in a dog-friendly cabin. I understand this ship will not be running, and the replacement Connemara will only serve Le Havre Mon-Weds. Connemara will only service Portsmouth-Cherbourg on Thur-Sun, and only a 9am sailing.

I'm flexible with the destination but need a dog-friendly cabin (she won't go in a kennel and would rip the inside of the car apart if left), and preferably overnight as we have a long drive ahead the following day.

The issue we have is that our accommodation needs to be paid for by the end of June but I can't commit until I know we can actually get there. If we don't pay, we lose the accommodation - and there's next to nothing decent left for a decent price.

When BF announced their curtailed summer 20 programme, I wrote to them using their online contact section, to ask for clarification as to what they intended to do with our booking, and asking to be transferred to another ship on any of the routes in a dog-friendly cabin. I wrote a follow-up yesterday once I had looked at the freight timetables and gauged the best alternative options to ask them to transfer our booking. I stressed the urgency of our situation and pleaded for a quick answer.

I've had no reply yet, and can see the alternatives (the best was the Portsmouth-Caen on the Normandie, but sacrificing a day of our holiday) are now looking fully booked so I've [pun intended] missed that boat.

I'm a bit disgusted they won't take phone calls from people who have already booked and are having their plans disrupted by BF's changes. That they can't reply within 24 or even 48 hours is shoddy customer service.

Do any of you have any other suggestions as to alternatives, or even recommend a better way to make contact with them that might generate a quicker response?

Thanks.

The simplest way to resolve your dilemma would be to take the tunnel , your dog will be with you in your car at all times ,your departure and arrival point may not be perfect but it's pretty much guaranteed you will get to where you are going dog and all , on the dates you require . 

Edited by Chef

Does anyone have any information regarding foot passengers? I can't book a crossing as one on the website.