Le Quiberon

Re-Start of BF Passenger Services

1 hour ago, jonno said:

Good point Jim. Maybe for most travellers they'll be journeying to and from home anyway?

Hopefully so, and I think for arrivals who don't need to quarantine it's likely to be the 'home' address or 'first place where you're staying'. 

1 hour ago, veryoldbear said:

Ah, but that is inward bound to the UK?

At the moment any 14 day French quarantining for travellers coming from the U.K. is voluntary and after next week it'll no longer be an issue anyway.

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Should one therefore carry stool samples just as a precaution?

Here's a good stool sample but carrying it could be difficult?

1207876052_Basque100cmBarStoolSet.thumb.jpg.1eff5facdcd01143bdc4ced28d9c4bf0.jpg

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, jonno said:

Here's a good stool sample but carrying it could be difficult?

1207876052_Basque100cmBarStoolSet.thumb.jpg.1eff5facdcd01143bdc4ced28d9c4bf0.jpg

Where is the toddler and straps to hold him/her in

On 25/06/2020 at 14:40, Cabin-boy said:

Is your second car in Cherbourg?  I always see a lot of 'semi-abandoned' vehicles in the terminal car park there which belong to people in your situation and for whom the situation has now just got a whole lot more complicated. Ed. 

I'm or we are not in Cherbourg, I live near to Le Havre, with a car and my other lives near Portsmouth, who also has a car, so now with the decision not to take foot passengers it now means we may meat again one day, as the cost of taking a car for day trips along with a cabin it would not be worth it.

Interesting article re the restart.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/business/travel-firms-still-dark-over-uk-quarantine-rules-brittany-ferries-resumes-trips-france-portsmouth-2898687

Part of the article is below, the bit about the hair had some unkind comments on Twitter & was he really thinking that Quarantine will end on the 29th ?

Hopefully it will still be lifted at the end of the week, however those from Scotland, Wales & Leicester will still have travel restrictions ! 

"We knew there would be a quarantine from June 8 to June 29 but now there is some frustration because we are at June 29 and there’s been nothing revealed yet.

‘There have been articles about “travel bridges” but as we speak, we are waiting for formal confirmation from the government.

‘The fact that we’re still waiting for the next phase to be announced is frustrating and we’re still pulling our hair out.’"

The map seems to be a bit arbitrary.

We are outside the area by 30M and its a residential road so some houses are OK and some not. I appreciate a point has to be picked but some of the neighbours will not be happy and the police will have difficulty enforcing it. Perhaps a barrier across the road? The location is also fairly rural not built up

I am pleased to report proactive contact from BF Customer Services in recent days.

The revised timetable issued last week removed both of the sailings we were booked on [into Le Havre and Poole].  As they are part of a BF Holiday booking I was hopeful of the outcome.  Sure enough they phoned last Thursday morning to propose alternatives [Caen].  I accepted those but said that we would still prefer to return from Cherbourg.  I was promised a call as soon as the Cherbourg sailings were available for booking.  That call came this morning and the switch made.

The person dealing with me was working from home.  He was experiencing some difficulties with broadband being affected by bad weather in Portsmouth but preferred this to the risks of working in an office at present.

One thing on this forum that has grated badly with me is a posting about three months ago (by a moderator!) that BF staff couldn’t be bothered.  That struck me as deeply unfair to them.  Was it based on evidence or frustration?  Anyway, I hope that this helps to redress the balance.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Choucan said:

One thing on this forum that has grated badly with me is a posting about three months ago (by a moderator!) that BF staff couldn’t be bothered.

Can you quote that post, Choucan, or point us in the direction of it?  That doesn't sound like anything any moderator would say, or anything I've read any of them say, or that I know any moderator thinks.  There has been a lot of criticism from the moderators (both in the forum and privately) about aspects of policy-making by BF management through this crisis, but none of us believe that the staff dealing with customers "can't be bothered" (and I can't imagine that any of us ever said that).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Can you quote that post, Choucan, or point us in the direction of it?  That doesn't sound like anything any moderator would say, or anything I've read any of them say, or that I know any moderator thinks.  There has been a lot of criticism from the moderators (both in the forum and privately) about aspects of policy-making by BF management through this crisis, but none of us believe that the staff dealing with customers "can't be bothered" (and I can't imagine that any of us ever said that).

First I must clarify: my memory is of a suggestion that they could not be bothered as opposed to specifically saying it.

I have not readily been able to locate it.  If the injustice has grown while bottled in my memory I apologise.  I wanted to avoid either inflaming or personalising things so held back from replying at the time; the situation was very difficult for lots of people.  In that spirit I will do my best to point you in the right direction, but by pm rather than publicly.

My positive point about customer service stands.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 27/06/2020 at 12:42, veryoldbear said:

I have my doubts as to whether we will ever see NEX back in service. The onboard sales are pretty minimal and it sucks up fuel. We live in strange times.

NEX will be back in 2021

17 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

NEX will be back in 2021

I wouldn’t bet any money on that, Nor would the board of directors.....    hopefully things will get back to normal soon rather than a ‘new normal’

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, daves_pad! said:

I wouldn’t bet any money on that, Nor would the board of directors.....    hopefully things will get back to normal soon rather than a ‘new normal’

I seem to remember someone else said that about Bretagne 3 months ago, yet she's back in 2 weeks. NEX will be back, she's not going anywhere for at least 3 years.

Serious question for the collective: do you think it is possible that BF and/or France will maintain travel restrictions for people, for example, from Leicester or other significantly affected areas?

Who knows. I bet the leader of the Conservative Party who does Prime Minister impressions even worse than his predecessor doesn't.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

NEX will be back in 2021

I'm sure that's the intention and quite likely - but given how the world is at the moment I wouldn't be entirely certain until it actually happens.

1 hour ago, Oaken said:

Serious question for the collective: do you think it is possible that BF and/or France will maintain travel restrictions for people, for example, from Leicester or other significantly affected areas?

I don't think this will be on BF to decide themselves, they will be following the guidelines of the respective governments.

I would expect the management of localised flare-ups within a country to be managed by the government of that country... as to how that's enforced is a whole other ballgame...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Choucan said:

I am pleased to report proactive contact from BF Customer Services in recent days.

The revised timetable issued last week removed both of the sailings we were booked on [into Le Havre and Poole].  As they are part of a BF Holiday booking I was hopeful of the outcome.  Sure enough they phoned last Thursday morning to propose alternatives [Caen].  I accepted those but said that we would still prefer to return from Cherbourg.  I was promised a call as soon as the Cherbourg sailings were available for booking.  That call came this morning and the switch made.

The person dealing with me was working from home.  He was experiencing some difficulties with broadband being affected by bad weather in Portsmouth but preferred this to the risks of working in an office at present.

One thing on this forum that has grated badly with me is a posting about three months ago (by a moderator!) that BF staff couldn’t be bothered.  That struck me as deeply unfair to them.  Was it based on evidence or frustration?  Anyway, I hope that this helps to redress the balance.

I don't recall that post .

At the time feelings were running very high. Comments against individual BF employees is not fair. but neither is closing the switchboard for 3 months. It also unfair to post against a person on this forum who has given his services for what is an unenviable task. It shows his fairness that the post has been allowed to stand

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Oaken said:

I come from Leicester and I hope they do. BF have your post code when you book so if their IT dept. is any good they should be able to cancel the reservation very easily.

Edited by IanN
spelling (very)

18 minutes ago, IanN said:

I come from Leicester and I hope they do. BF have your post code when you book so if their IT dept. is any good they should be able to cancel the reservation very easily.

Yeahbutnobut - whilst address gives an indication, it's not entirely reliable... it reflects where the booking is registered to, but not individuals in a particular vehicle. I can think of several examples where I've made a booking registered in Surrey but the occupants of the vehicle have been from Surrey, Kent, Hampshire and France. 

For various reasons the billing address of someone's card might be different to where they're actually living/coming from. I've got several staff at work who come from our office in Leicester but actually spend the majority of their time living and working in London or the South East. If they gave an address booking something, it would be for Leicester.

Postcode could be used, but it's not like there's a clear definition available that says the rules apply to people in 'LE1' or even sub-postcodes like 'LE1 1??'.  Local press published at lunchtime today suggests the council are themselves trying to compile a list: https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/map-shows-exact-areas-leicester-4276783

So whilst BF could look to enforce this, there are so many nuances that can make it something of a headache and could lead to bookings being erroneously cancelled.

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

I think that the new schedules are quite clever, they have removed 3 ships and still serve every port.

Not Poole yet to get to France. Still only freight to Spain.