Le Quiberon

Re-Start of BF Passenger Services

2 hours ago, Stefeni said:

PIP ready for when passengers return to BF services

Port installs thermal camera to screen for fever

image.gif.0f06f4badf04f3d5992c2bec29ccc828.gif
Portsmouth International PortCopyright: Portsmouth International Port

Portsmouth International Port has installed a thermal scanner to screen departing passengers for coronavirus symptoms.

It believes it is the first UK port in the UK to deploy the technology.

The camera will be available to test foot passengers on ferries and cruise ships once travel restrictions are eased.

However, scientists say not all people with coronavirus have a raised temperature.

But where an infected traveller does display the symptom, they would trigger an alarm and a medical team would decide whether to allow them to travel.

I often have a raised temperature for no reason. People can have fluctuating body temperatures, especially us women of a certain age - and that ain’t no coronavirus!!!  What is to stop people popping a couple of paracetamol before travel just to bring any fluctuation down.

Been to check ups at the docs many timex

When it comes to holiday travel there are three parties involved.

The Government, despite wanting to open up the economy, is understandably very cautious for a variety of reasons including the risk of a second wave of the virus and not least because thay are already firmly on the hook for apparent mistakes made in tackling the virus in its early stages in the UK.

The travel industry including airlines, ferry companies, holiday operators etc. all of which are facing a total crisis with the survival of their businesses and individlual livelihoods at stake. They are desperately casting around for methods to somehow make things work and encourage people to travel. They will talk these up and downplay the practical drawbacks. (masks and no food on a 4 plus hour flight?)

Then there are the customers who can still hardly believe that their cherished foreign summer holiday is rapidly becoming a mirage and hoping against hope that something will happen to make things OK again. (particularly if they have already paid part or all the cost upfront). They originally thought it would be OK by the summer - it isn't.

So in the end it comes down to balance of risk for all three parties and in particular the personal decisions of customers when travel does become possible as to whether the game is worth the candle for this year. Put up with the infection risk, uncomfortable travel and downgraded experience at destination having paid for something a lot more enjoyable or give it all a miss until things resolve themselves on a more settled basis. That decision will depend on personal circumstances and it will be very difficult.

In my case I am looking at the infection and death rates in the UK which are not coming down at all as quickly as one might wish and also at the milling about on the beaches and in the parks over the last few days with little attempt at social distancing. This may well result in further lockdown in a few weeks time and we could be back to square one. Who knows - and do you want to bet money on it?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

So in the end it comes down to balance of risk for all three parties and in particular the personal decisions of customers when travel does become possible as to whether the game is worth the candle for this year.

Totally agree and this thread should explain and predict how BF will change their product to cope with the restrictions, comments from French residents are extremely useful for what is happening in France - it would be helpful if we had Spanish input as well.

It is then up to the individual what to do and the answer will vary according to their circumstances, in my case I am beginning to doubt whether a Spanish / French touring holiday is sensible, however a visit to my flat 25 mins away from Ouistreham with Quarantine afterwards probably is !

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

In my case I am looking at the infection and death rates in the UK which are not coming down at all as quickly as one might wish and also at the milling about on the beaches and in the parks over the last few days with little attempt at social distancing. This may well result in further lockdown in a few weeks time and we could be back to square one. Who knows - and do you want to bet money on it?

No but I wouldn't like to see the civil disobedience that would, I fear, follow either. 

• Like 1

I think a lot of the current disobedience is caused by so many people thinking only of themselves and how the virus affects them. The younger generations clearly feel they are not much at risk and 'what the hell anyway' in many cases, usually by males between 20-40 by all accounts.

Too many people have little civic responsibility - crowded beaches, tons of litter etc.

One effect of the current situation is that we have been taking local walks for excercise. We live in a 'nice' rural area but walking up the country lane to our local field it is appalling to see the sheer quantity of rubbish clearl;y just tossed out of cars with no thought wnatsoever for the environment. I really do find it difficult to understand how someone feels it is OK to just wind down the window and throw the remains of their takeaway and some beer cans into the hedge. Clearly a significant proportion of the population don't have a problem with this as it happens everywhere and these people will just laugh at restrictions they don't agree with unless they have reason to feel personally threatened. Very much 'I'm all right Jack'.

56 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Today's CEO update has a hidden gem

" We will also be asking you to arrive in ports 90 minutes before departure (as opposed to 45) so that we can stagger boarding and prevent queues on car decks, on stairs and in other areas on the ship.

Likewise, disembarkation will be staggered. This will ensure we can safely get everyone back to their cars at the end of a journey with as little risk of queues and unnecessary contact with other."

Unless this is just to give them some flexibility, I am not sure how  the 3 crossings a day Caen route will function with slower boarding and more cleaning - maybe that will have to switch to 2 crossings a day per ship,

Another interesting comment from the update is that the requirement to wear masks in public areas will be reviewed as time goes on. Perhaps BF have realised that this will just encourage people to stay in their cabins and not spend any money around the ship. The cabins will need extra cleaning, not just because of the virus, but also because passengers will be bringing their own food and eating in the cabin rather than bothering with queues and social distancing in the restaurants (and there will be no buffet of course!)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stefeni said:

PIP ready for when passengers return to BF services

Port installs thermal camera to screen for fever

image.gif.0f06f4badf04f3d5992c2bec29ccc828.gif
Portsmouth International PortCopyright: Portsmouth International Port

Portsmouth International Port has installed a thermal scanner to screen departing passengers for coronavirus symptoms.

It believes it is the first UK port in the UK to deploy the technology.

The camera will be available to test foot passengers on ferries and cruise ships once travel restrictions are eased.

However, scientists say not all people with coronavirus have a raised temperature.

But where an infected traveller does display the symptom, they would trigger an alarm and a medical team would decide whether to allow them to travel.

Where exactly are they planning on finding these foot passengers...? 🧐

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Khaines said:

I often have a raised temperature for no reason. People can have fluctuating body temperatures, especially us women of a certain age - and that ain’t no coronavirus!!!  What is to stop people popping a couple of paracetamol before travel just to bring any fluctuation down.

Been to check ups at the docs many timex

Valid point

I had been thinking along similar(ish) lines - if I'm running late and cycle a bit harder to get to the port in time, I'm going set thermal scanners off all over the place!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Ferry Man said:

Where exactly are they planning on finding these foot passengers...? 🧐

I hope they bought the scanners at Aldi and they have the Aldi 3 year warranty .

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, David Williams said:

however a visit to my flat 25 mins away from Ouistreham with Quarantine afterwards probably is

That sounds feasible but probably not what the government is hoping many people will choose as an option.

My sister and her three children were planning to come and join us for a week in Normandy in early August via DFDS and Newhaven/Dieppe. That would not not make much sense as if she had to confine herself to the house and not go out and about (beach/cycling) it would be very boring.

However, she does now have a Eurotunnel voucher from a cancelled ski-trip in April which can be resued at any time. Her children are now confirmed as not returning to school until September so we are wondering if it makes sense for them to all come down to us here in early July for a couple of weeks (camping in our garden) and make use of the pool etc. They wouldn't have to go out shopping as we would do that and if the authorities check up on them they will find them here as declared. My sister hasn't been out of her house and garden for 8 weeks now as her youngest has had occasional respiratory problems and is potentially more at risk than the other two so I have no worries with them coming here via the tunnel and with no intermediate contacts. 

Ed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

Today's CEO update has a hidden gem

" We will also be asking you to arrive in ports 90 minutes before departure (as opposed to 45) so that we can stagger boarding and prevent queues on car decks, on stairs and in other areas on the ship.

Likewise, disembarkation will be staggered. This will ensure we can safely get everyone back to their cars at the end of a journey with as little risk of queues and unnecessary contact with other."

Unless this is just to give them some flexibility, I am not sure how  the 3 crossings a day Caen route will function with slower boarding and more cleaning - maybe that will have to switch to 2 crossings a day per ship,

The likes of MSM and Normandie will probably be running with only a third of their pax capacity, they'll just fill the cabins. There's a big difference between loading 775 or 2000+. The comment also suggests that footies and cyclists are not part of the equation either. Normandie has two stern staircases which could be used more for self distancing to and from the car decks too.

It'll be more difficult for the others, CF only tends to run to her berth capacity anyway, same for the Visentini's so their port times could increase. This could be were Bretagne's dreaded deck 5 comes into it's own, you're isolated up there anyway and there's always scope in the schedule for Pont Aven to increase or lower her speed when at sea.

With you mentioning touring I wonder if the municipal camping car Aires in the French towns and cities will be closed by order meaning that for those who do wish to travel in the cmaper vans or motorhomes they must choose a campsite. Personally I'm quite happy to sit under the wind out awning on a French site and not really do anything, just move to fill the water tank and empty the loo... Yep,  I could do that professionally.

I'd be quite happy doing that on a site in Devon or Dorset too...

I have a feeling that the 14 day quarantining will only last three weeks for EU travel. It'll all change again July 1st. Masks, hand washing & sanitiser will be the future, that's as good as it'll get in any community until a decent vaccine is made.

It's not too long ago when hospital visitors moaned about having to use hand sanitiser due to MRSA and C Diff now we do it without batting an eyelid. we'll get used to it.

• Like 1

I fear the whole thing is a bit of a muddle. I suspect that passenger services won't now start until 1st July simply because there will be no demand until then. There will be a lot of scrabbling about as the UK Goverment realise that this current plan has more holes in it than a very leaky thing and it will be subject to changes and relaxations over the coming weeks.

• Like 2

4 off-topic posts have been removed.

Reminder:  This is a thread about Brittany Ferries and thoughts/news about the resumption of their passenger services.  It is not about the general situation with, or developments surrounding, Coronavirus.  For that, go to the Coronavirus thread in Open House Chatter.  Posts which discuss the implications of developments surrounding Coronavirus for BF operations are fine and within the scope of the topic of the thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

4 off-topic posts have been removed.

Reminder:  This is a thread about Brittany Ferries and thoughts/news about the resumption of their passenger services.  It is not about the general situation with, or developments surrounding, Coronavirus.  For that, go to the Coronavirus thread in Open House Chatter.  Posts which discuss the implications of developments surrounding Coronavirus for BF operations are fine and within the scope of the topic of the thread.

Not easy being a mod !

However it would be helpful if factual comments about travel restrictions and tourist facilities reopening was easy to find as it is very useful information & is referred to by the BF updates

"Travelers from 🇬🇧 , regardless of their nationality, will be invited to perform a fortnight when the British fortnight measure, announced this evening, comes into force. "
seems an obstacle to BF services resuming 

Please forgive me using the word, but it is a pity that political reasons are taking priority over sensible public health ones, and threatening a longer period of inactivity for BF and their ships.

I suspect some back channels will open?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hopefully everyone will huff and puff a lot and sort it out by the end of June, however when the Spanish finish their quarantine (end of June), I am not sure if it would be possible to go via Spain to France and avoid quarantine in France.

On a separate note, the Paradors in Spain should be open from the 21st June.

I guess that the next stage for BF is to extend the closure until the end of June.

The next tweet is in English

Edited by David Williams

It's a game of tit 4 tat at the moment. I would rather hope there is some back room diplomacy going on. I expect that BF management are sweating on this at the moment, but my bet is still 01 July for start-up, and I'm going to hold my July booking until the last minute (particularly as I've got Commodores in both direction and I can guarantee I would lose out if I moved the booking). Toujours l'optisme.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, veryoldbear said:

It's a game of tit 4 tat at the moment. I would rather hope there is some back room diplomacy going on. I expect that BF management are sweating on this at the moment, but my bet is still 01 July for start-up, and I'm going to hold my July booking until the last minute (particularly as I've got Commodores in both direction and I can guarantee I would lose out if I moved the booking). Toujours l'optisme.

No harm in being optimistic and I agree re 1st July as the next date to push it back to, however I am not convinced it will be all ships.

Another gem from Friday's CEO update was : "This week we’ve been speaking directly with some customers about these  changes, to gauge reaction and opinion. All were very understanding"  -  I am surprised that they did not float some ideas on this forum for comment.

Posted (edited)

Now that France has announced that the quarantine will now be applied on a reciprocal basis, so visitors from U.K. to France will now need to quarantine for 14 days on arrival in France as well as 14 days when returning to England. That’s four weeks of quarantine for a trip to France... just how many people are going to think it’s worth it? What is the implication for second home owners, should they be paying taxes for services like refuse collection whilst not there?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52781812

Edited by Seashore

28 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I am surprised that they did not float some ideas on this forum for comment.

Yes, I am surprised they haven’t made more use of the forum over the years as a means of gathering informed objective opinion.  On the other hand - they can glean a good idea of what the forum members think about pretty well all matters pertaining to BF by just reading the forum.  We do not usually wait to be asked to post what we think!

(And, more recently, the general gist if what we think has tended to not be what they really wanted to hear.  And asking us gives an expectation of feedback being taken seriously; both we and they probably feel that their recent attempts to consult the forum over the new website were not a success!).

Audience size (tiny) and interest (niche, a lot of discussion about ship operations) probably makes this an interesting forum for those of us on it - thanks due to those who provide and maintain it - but it’s hardly mainstream and may not be considered by BF as representative of the 2m passengers who use their services each year. I remember Mike Bevans from BF and James Fulford (CEO at Red Funnel) engaging but it’s hardly the case, to me at least, that whoever replaced Mr Bevans has ever engaged publicly and Fran Collins never has (she was probably “burnt” by public opinion in what is the atrocity that goes by the name of Condor Ferries).

However, it is that ever present issue of only a small number ever speak up and is counted. The only time we all actually count is when the census happens. But I’d think when BF are looking at their summer operations they have a particular eye to the tour operators and their customers, inc BF’s own holidays division, but also the likes of Eurocamp, Canvas, Al Fresco, Siblu etc think all producing huge traffic numbers for them in the busy June-August period so I don’t think any of us should take it personally.

• Like 1

I think BF should be more concerned about their Trustpilot score and Tripadvisor reviews right now than what’s posted on here.

10 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I think BF should be more concerned about their Trustpilot score and Tripadvisor reviews right now than what’s posted on here.

Time for some competition when this is all over. Monopolies only serve the monopoly holder. Come back Stena, all is forgiven.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seashore said:

Time for some competition when this is all over. Monopolies only serve the monopoly holder. Come back Stena, all is forgiven.

Stena do own some nice ships which are coming & BF don't seem to have a lot of money to pay for rent !

Looking at some of the lorry driver complaints, they are currently getting cold snacks on board whereas I  believe that DFDS to Dieppe has hot food (and still has a passenger service).

I am not sure whether the BF focus has not been more on their staff and less on their customers.

• Like 2