Re-Start of BF Passenger Services

It was an overnight ferry not boarding until about 2200, so we didn't actually venture out of the isolation of the cabin but just turned in. As you all know the early call on arrival Ouistreham is very early, so we didn't go out to inspect. This may happen next week on the way back. We had the continental breakfast in-cabin and weren't actually kicked out until we could straight down to the car. So we didin't see much. The sailing was quite busy as there were obvioulsy some people transferred from Normandie which doesn't start until next week.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you read what Roué has told us, it is jaw dropping! Some of us have been vociferously critical of BF, even suggesting that we could do a better job. Consider the following. 780,000 normal fo

I am pleased to report proactive contact from BF Customer Services in recent days. The revised timetable issued last week removed both of the sailings we were booked on [into Le Havre and Poole].

Mrs FW and I travelled Caen-Portsmouth yesterday afternoon on MSM in 2 different vehicles, as she is staying for a couple of weeks and I’m back next Tuesday - it allowed me to test my loading theory.

Posted Images

The website states: 

In restaurants and bars, menu choices may be limited and space adapted to comply with new safety protocols.

Anyone has more information of what is actually available? Thinking about Pont Aven to Roscoff on the Thursday evening, is Le Flora open?

The BF boss said in Monday's update that he was on the MSM sailing from Caen to Portsmouth that morning and came back from Plymouth to Roscoff the same evening. Does that mean he didn't do the 14 days of quarantine as required?  Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

The BF boss said in Monday's update that he was on the MSM sailing from Caen to Portsmouth that morning and came back from Plymouth to Roscoff the same evening. Does that mean he didn't do the 14 days of quarantine as required?  Ed. 

I imagine that he came under some obscure regulation - maybe he counted as a seafarer !

The dodgy bit was the Portsmouth to Plymouth transfer - maybe there was a specsavers in Plymouth,

• Haha 2

There are multiple ways around the Quarantine and as he works both uk and France and has business interests in both, he will fall under the latter exemption. Corporate aviation is booming right now as people who ‘need’ to travel, travel, without quarantine.

1 hour ago, LD said:

The website states: 

In restaurants and bars, menu choices may be limited and space adapted to comply with new safety protocols.

Anyone has more information of what is actually available? Thinking about Pont Aven to Roscoff on the Thursday evening, is Le Flora open?

Would be very interested to know about this too. Can't decide whether or not to bring a full package of meals onboard or not 🤔

22 minutes ago, 5_ShortBlasts said:

There are multiple ways around the Quarantine and as he works both uk and France and has business interests in both, he will fall under the latter exemption. Corporate aviation is booming right now as people who ‘need’ to travel, travel, without quarantine.

I've been through the list (below) and can't find one single category in which he meets all the requirements unless he has, as David says above, the status of 'seaman or master'. The 'buisness interests' category doesn't even appear.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules&ved=2ahUKEwjP6fCtkLHqAhUk4YUKHaJ3CA8QFjAJegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw21P4hxwqiVonXDRLBILNer

I'd be curious to know the exact details. 

Ed

9 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ed

Maybe he was cunning and gave his UK address as Milbay, Plymouth or more likely nobody stopped and spoke to him. So Company Limo to Plymouth whereupon he gave the rousing `Dear Leader` speech to the embattled employees followed by a swift retreat from Perfidious Albion..Clever non??

4 minutes ago, Paully said:

Maybe he was cunning and gave his UK address as Milbay, Plymouth or more likely nobody stopped and spoke to him. So Company Limo to Plymouth whereupon he gave the rousing `Dear Leader` speech to the embattled employees followed by a swift retreat from Perfidious Albion..Clever non??

That still doesn't allow him to fall into either of these categories in my opinion.

People who live outside the UK but work in the UK and travel between their country of residence and the UK at least once a week

or 

People who live in the UK but work in another country and travel between the UK and country of work at least once a week

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy
1 hour ago, Bousquetain said:

Would be very interested to know about this too. Can't decide whether or not to bring a full package of meals onboard or not 🤔

There are a few tweets / messages about this. As far as I can see it is only the self service restaurant with a few options for each course, no cook to order options. The comments seemed positive, I also read somewhere that people were invited by 'deck' to dine - no idea how that works.

23 minutes ago, David Williams said:

There are a few tweets / messages about this. As far as I can see it is only the self service restaurant with a few options for each course, no cook to order options. The comments seemed positive, I also read somewhere that people were invited by 'deck' to dine - no idea how that works.

Presumably as everyone has to have a cabin/seat it's done by what deck the cabin/seat is on and can be checked with the boarding card.

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Surely he would just quarantine at home in France?

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

I've been through the list (below) and can't find one single category in which he meets all the requirements unless he has, as David says above, the status of 'seaman or master'. The 'buisness interests' category doesn't even appear.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules&ved=2ahUKEwjP6fCtkLHqAhUk4YUKHaJ3CA8QFjAJegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw21P4hxwqiVonXDRLBILNer

Ed

The Statutory Instrument requires you to self quarantine for 14 days or until the day you leave, if earlier. I've flown in today, I could leave again today if I wanted to.

5 minutes ago, Buzz said:

The Statutory Instrument requires you to self quarantine for 14 days or until the day you leave, if earlier. I've flown in today, I could leave again today if I wanted to.

Exactly but you have to provide the address where you will be doing so and travel there by private vehicle if possible and have no contact (meetings etc) with anybody in the meantime. Ed

1 minute ago, David Williams said:

But that is the French optional tit for tat quarantine - is that still on ?

As I understand it, yes. But the real issue isn't whether he did the quarantine or not but more whether the trip could actually be classed as essential in the first place. Ed

57 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Exactly but you have to provide the address where you will be doing so and travel there by private vehicle if possible and have no contact (meetings etc) with anybody in the meantime. Ed

My experience today is that it is all indeed a bit loosey-goosey. I'm on the second of three trains I need to get me home.  I completed the passenger locator form, no-one asked to see it at Heathrow, I didn't interact with any Border Force agent, I used the e-gates. I presume it's linked to the passport details you enter on the form and the gate would have refused to let me through if I hadn't completed it. Or maybe that's a bit too joined-up thinking!

I'll be leaving the UK in 12 days, (Eurotunnel, the BF Portsmouth-Caen price was crazy) but don't know if I'm officially allowed to un-self-isolate from10 July.  Then back again for good in another 9, hopefully Caen-Portsmouth overnight (work pays for that one, repatriation on retirement).

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Andy said:

The latest CEO update points to a new 'life onboard' page on their website, which details what services are now available onboard:

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/coronavirus/life-on-board#tab-4

The sailings update page still says all sailings cancelled up to the 28th June though :/

A nice natural and human explanation of how things are going onboard.

"I have to be clear that some ships are not quite as well stocked as we’d like. It’s improving all the time but I know there has been some disappointment expressed on some ships."

I like this honesty. Very direct, very French - none of the saccharine comments you would get from an Anglo-Saxon company!

• Like 2
On 25/06/2020 at 20:11, ccs147 said:

We were due to sail Rossalre to Roscoff next Monday 29th June and back to Cork on July. Last Thursday with no definite news that the sailings were going ahead and the ongoing need to quarantine on return to Ireland we decided to amend them to last fortnight in September. Got on manage booking and amended the booking. The fare was less and it was noted a the end of the new booking  Balance by refund application -397.00 €

So on Saturday I dropped them an email asking when I'd receive the voucher. Got an immediate standard very busy response saying we'll reply in 7 days. On Monday i got a second email asking:

Can you confirm if you are intending to travel on those dates in Sept/Oct (and we can issue a voucher as necessary), or are you planning to further amend them?

I replied that if the ship is sailing we'll be on it! 😀

Just to follow up on this I got an email last Friday to say that I'd be receiving a refund to my payment card rather than a voucher.  €397.00 arrived in my account yesterday.

Well done BF 👍

So I can't log into manage my booking - it comes up with "This crossing is currently unavailable, please choose an alternative." but my outward is Portsmouth to St Malo, my return was the Normandie Express. I understand the return is cancelled, but any ideas why I can't even get into the booking to change it? Oh, and I've not been contacted by anyone about it...

Anyone got any bright ideas?

32 minutes ago, ccs147 said:

Just to follow up on this I got an email last Friday to say that I'd be receiving a refund to my payment card rather than a voucher.  €397.00 arrived in my account yesterday.

Well done BF 👍

At last, BF have seen the light!

Cashflow is important. But without customers there is no cashflow. Refunding, however painful it might be owing to current circumstances has to be done.

• Like 1