Re-Start of BF Passenger Services

56 minutes ago, ccs147 said:

Just to follow up on this I got an email last Friday to say that I'd be receiving a refund to my payment card rather than a voucher.  €397.00 arrived in my account yesterday.

Well done BF 👍

Now you will be able to pay for your next crossing with cash instead of using a credit note. 

• Haha 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you read what Roué has told us, it is jaw dropping! Some of us have been vociferously critical of BF, even suggesting that we could do a better job. Consider the following. 780,000 normal fo

I am pleased to report proactive contact from BF Customer Services in recent days. The revised timetable issued last week removed both of the sailings we were booked on [into Le Havre and Poole].

Well here we are all, after an uneventful crossing from Portsmouth on the MSM. Loading was a little slow with some mysterious colour coding in evidence, and we were 30 minutes late off the quay, but o

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Leaving the country is a listed reason for ending self-isolation before 14 days

Agreed, but what's the reason for entering the country in the first place? Ed

• Like 1
4 hours ago, BFlongtimefan said:

So I can't log into manage my booking - it comes up with "This crossing is currently unavailable, please choose an alternative." but my outward is Portsmouth to St Malo, my return was the Normandie Express. I understand the return is cancelled, but any ideas why I can't even get into the booking to change it? Oh, and I've not been contacted by anyone about it...

Anyone got any bright ideas?

You can't amend a booking online if one of your sailings is cancelled. You will be contacted soon, it's just a long process. If you need to amend quickly, use a Twitter DM. If not, the email explaining the cancellation, when you receive it, will have some options (actually helpful ones).

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, scarlton said:

You can't amend a booking online if one of your sailings is cancelled. You will be contacted soon, it's just a long process. If you need to amend quickly, use a Twitter DM. If not, the email explaining the cancellation, when you receive it, will have some options (actually helpful ones).

My concern was that by the time they would have contacted me there wouldn't have been any alternatives left on an appropriate date and time. Seems unfair that if the system knows that your crossing has been cancelled, it doesn't automatically provide a refund voucher so you can rebook while there is still space!

• Like 1

Don't book returns. One way, each leg. You lose some flexibility in the booking /amendment process buying returns.  Also a return "flexi" losses  some amendment advantages. BF cancel the outbound crossing but I've been able to "amend my booking" easily for the return. Not sure if the system adjusts the prices on one way tickets but  with recent events its got to be the way to go. You take back control from BF what you do to the return not them.

Stu

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, straightfeed said:

Don't book returns. One way, each leg. You lose some flexibility in the booking /amendment process buying returns.  Also a return "flexi" losses  some amendment advantages. BF cancel the outbound crossing but I've been able to "amend my booking" easily for the return. Not sure if the system adjusts the prices on one way tickets but  with recent events its got to be the way to go. You take back control from BF what you do to the return not them.

Stu

Totally agree, 2 singles are the most flexible and cost the same as a return, the only downside is that you can’t insist on a refund or free transfer if BF cancel the outbound.

I also like the considerable advantages of a flexi fare which is not that high a premium.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, David Williams said:

the only downside is that you can’t insist on a refund or free transfer if BF cancel the outbound.

If the outbound is cancelled you should have time to amend the return online, free of charges.

Edited by Solo
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Solo said:

If the outbound is cancelled you should have time to amend the return online, free of charges.

Exactly, you are entitled to - that is the one advantage of buying a return ticket. However that does not normally happen that often and even with a flexi, if you fancy moving the return ticket you have to pay for a change on top of the fare difference,

ps and there is one other subtle bit that hasn't been cleared up - the T&Cs say that the ticket is valid for a year from the date of the original  outbound sailing, I know from tweets that has led to conflicting advice as to how a ticket can get moved a year - we should hear more of that soon as people try to.

Edited by David Williams
36 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I enclose more info on the inflexible flexi

image.png.6237071b7c7ca271016ec6e37a6f841c.png

There is NO amendment fee more than 4 hours before the sailing of the outbound sailing. As its a one way ticket the "outbound" sailing is a new booking so its not outbound from the UK. Its as stated on the ticket (ie France, Spain etc).

I checked this with BF when these new ticket types were introduced. I was advised to book separate tickets for the flexibility I wanted.

For amendment within the 4 hours there is a £20 charge. But if BF cancel your UK outbound. You alone can amend your return freely.

Stu

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

Exactly, you are entitled to - that is the one advantage of buying a return ticket. However that does not normally happen that often and even with a flexi, if you fancy moving the return ticket you have to pay for a change on top of the fare difference,

I thought we were saying about the advantages of single tickets, if the outbound is cancelled you just change the other ticket to when you can travel.

36 minutes ago, Solo said:

I thought we were saying about the advantages of single tickets, if the outbound is cancelled you just change the other ticket to when you can travel.

They both have advantages and disadvantages, I believe that overall Singles are better, however if you had a return and BF cancels the outbound and they are complying with the T&C's then they would have to make any changes in the return without any fare difference supplements.

With 2 singles, one may have to argue for a refund if any fare difference,

I am currently on Armorique sailing to Plymouth with 26 pax, not cars, 26 passengers!

One can now measure the dilemmas BF have faced for the resumption of services prior to the quarantine exemption. 

Fed up with waiting for some white smoke from Westminster regarding the quarantine rule I decided to bite the bullet and go back to UK. I will self isolate at home since my job allows to work from home. 

It is heartbreaking to see such a large ship travel virtually empty. It feels like one of those crossings from December, especially with this today's weather. I am glad to report that protection measures seem to work well for both the passengers and the crew. One thought occurred to me regarding the reduced capacity of the sailings, it is not just about maintaining safes distances between passengers but also to maintain these distances for the crew e.g. no shared cabins. The latter requirement must bring some serious restrictions on crew numbers. 

Otherwise the sailing is as pleasant as usual. I always travel with a cabin anyway so no changes there. My club plus cabin was immaculate and the crew genuinely happy to be back. 

Re customer services I have noticed an enormous gap between the UK and French services. No need to delve in the issues and attitudes we have seen on the UK side of the operations. In contrast the French side appeared far more accessible. For example I amended my booking yesterday morning and did not receive an amended ticket and no possibility to contact BF UK in a timely manner. I called BF desk in Roscoff and was sent a copy of my ticket without fuss before I could even put the phone down. I think BF need to have a serious look at their UK side of the operations whose handling of the crisis has been damaging in terms of image of the company. In another instance I needed to amend tickets booked on the Irish website and received the same efficient response as with the French side. Rant over. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I think it is to some extent 'toe in the water' stuff. People are waiting to see reports from early travellers before committing themselves. If they think it looks OK then passenger number will probably take off quickly as there is obviously a pent up demand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crechbleiz said:

Re customer services I have noticed an enormous gap between the UK and French services. No need to delve in the issues and attitudes we have seen on the UK side of the operations. In contrast the French side appeared far more accessible. For example I amended my booking yesterday morning and did not receive an amended ticket and no possibility to contact BF UK in a timely manner. I called BF desk in Roscoff and was sent a copy of my ticket without fuss before I could even put the phone down. I think BF need to have a serious look at their UK side of the operations whose handling of the crisis has been damaging in terms of image of the company. In another instance I needed to amend tickets booked on the Irish website and received the same efficient response as with the French side. Rant over. 

Could that be to do with the numbers that they have had to deal with in the UK, I'm sure someone can tell us the percentage of UK bookings compared with France.

4 minutes ago, Solo said:

Could that be to do with the numbers that they have had to deal with in the UK, I'm sure someone can tell us the percentage of UK bookings compared with France.

It's something like 80% UK-based with Ireland, France and Spain (+ other nationalities) making up the rest. 

10 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

pent up demand

The French school holidays have just started and demand for holiday villages and campsites seems to be high. 

Ed. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Well, our son & family have just booked Pompey - Caen for mid -Aug.

We’re trying to do our bit as a family !

Edited by Gardian
typo
18 hours ago, Solo said:

I 'd like to think this explains all. However, my experience of BF services over the last 13 years tells me that the French side is less formal but far more efficient in practice.

The latest FCO advice is that anyone arriving in Spain by Air/Sea have to fill in a FCS form regarding health and you will then be issued with a QR code for travel. Have we any Members who have sailed on Pont Aven or Cap Finestere in the last couple of days who can confirm if this is correct.

Also any information of what life on board is like would be welcome,  Bars open, shop open, are you free to walk on the open decks, restaurant open.

It’s clear from the BF updates from the other day that the restaurants are not open.  The self-service cafes are open, subject to some rules about logistics, but not the restaurants.

Embarkation is not possible “until your cabin is ready” - which I find fascinating, because it would imply that BF has a control over the order in which cars are loaded that has always been denied as being possible previously.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Gareth said:

It’s clear from the BF updates from the other day that the restaurants are not open.  The self-service cafes are open, subject to some rules about logistics, but not the restaurants.

Embarkation is not possible “until your cabin is ready” - which I find fascinating, because it would imply that BF has a control over the order in which cars are loaded that has always been denied as being possible previously.

Yep it’s been stated on here by a few folk that “early boarding “ isn’t possible but this would suggest that they could do it, to be honest most of what I have read makes me glad I’m not travelling this year unless it was a get on straight to bed get up straight off it would be a boring experience by the sounds of it.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Perhaps they are working on the basis that they will be loading so few cars that they can spread them sufficiently across the lanes to allow boarding dependent on cabins being ready.

I drive a Vauxhall Zafira (for a variety of reasons, I have the family car and hubby has the supermini - his latest mishap was to smash his rear lights trying to park his Corsa on his way to Specsavers) and a highmount rear cycle carrier has caused all sorts of issues with BF port staff trying to work out which lane to put me in particularly at Cherbourg for NEX. I was made to reverse off NEX a few years ago because of the bikes.

We moved house 5 months ago tomorrow and the cycle carrier went to the dump as part of the clear out (the last time we drove from Glasgow to Portsmouth, it was checked before we got on the motorway because one of the straps wasn't holding, again at Bothwell Services, again at Abington Services, again at Asda in Carlisle... you get the picture) so I now have roofbars and the cycle carriers to go on them should arrive tomorrow).

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

Yep it’s been stated on here by a few folk that “early boarding “ isn’t possible but this would suggest that they could do it, to be honest most of what I have read makes me glad I’m not travelling this year unless it was a get on straight to bed get up straight off it would be a boring experience by the sounds of it.

Travelling from Glasgow to Portsmouth, we have always used the crossing to Ouistreham as a bed for the night. The children and I have gone to bed shortly after boarding and hubby has done his own thing. This year I had booked Bretagne in the hope of actually experiencing something onboard; we should have been on board on June 25th.