Le Quiberon

Re-Start of BF Passenger Services

2 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Stena do own some nice ships which are coming & BF don't seem to have a lot of money to pay for rent !

Looking at some of the lorry driver complaints, they are currently getting cold snacks on board whereas I  believe that DFDS to Dieppe has hot food (and still has a passenger service).

I am not sure whether the BF focus has not been more on their staff and less on their customers.

A complimentary hot meal on DFDS channel sailings.

Just for additional info on French government position. Reciprocal quarantine will be applied to any country which puts such a policy in place for arrivals from France. Spain is currently in this situation from Monday 25th May.

2 minutes ago, colin said:

Just for additional info on French government position. Reciprocal quarantine will be applied to any country which puts such a policy in place for arrivals from France. Spain is currently in this situation from Monday 25th May.

I believe that Spain ends quarantine in late June as it is linked to the state of emergency, however it is good to see that France is so even handed !

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I believe that Spain ends quarantine in late June as it is linked to the state of emergency, however it is good to see that France is so even handed !

It'll be interesting to see how Jersey decides to react. Stick with the UK system and hope to get a boost from Staycationers heading as far south as they can,  particularly with Guernsey apparently closed or allow movement between the island and France to maximise the day-trip spend. Ed. 

7 minutes ago, colin said:

Well that puts Ireland in the firing line as well , Ireland has similar  quarantine requirements as the UK which are due for review on the 18th of June , Brittany Ferries are scheduled to resume Roscoff to Cork on the 19th of June which makes things a bit tight for those looking to get to France from Ireland . 

33 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

It'll be interesting to see how Jersey decides to react. Stick with the UK system and hope to get a boost from Staycationers heading as far south as they can,  particularly with Guernsey apparently closed or allow movement between the island and France to maximise the day-trip spend. Ed. 

Yes Guernsey border closed at least until September I think.

• Thanks 1

Personally I am quite happy with the 14 day quarantine arrangement obviously if I owned a no frills airline or a French campsite I would feel differently.

Well it's certainly looks like  political tit for tat but I suppose you can see some logic in quarantine since the whole business of travel, no matter what precautions are put in place, involves stressful contact with others. Travelling through any terminal in any mode, and coming onto contact with all and sundry while in transit,  is going to be a level of risk that most people have been prevented by law from experiencing for the best part of three months. You can bet your life there will be many who maybe shouldn't travel who'll douse their temperature with a good dose of Calpol and simply set off especially on the return journey. It'll stay until experience proves it's not needed. Note I am saying it might be logical I'm not saying it's right - though I made the decision not to travel abroad this year back in March.

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 1

Mind you it does seem a bit odd that the coach driver won't have to but the passengers will! Sorry passenger. 

Edited by Millsy

A current article on the Daily Mail website is titled "Game Over for the Fabled All-You-Can-Eat Buffet?" with speculation about the future of buffet-style restaurants. A couple of comments suggest customers could wear masks along with disposable gloves supplied by the restaurant when they are actually at the buffet. The food could be screened by plexiglass apart from the bottom part where customers reach in to serve themselves - similar to many cafes. Seems reasonable to me and maybe it's a way forward for BF restaurants?

Cruise ships got on top of this a while back in connection with the Norovirus bug. The buffet was still there but crew members would serve the food onto your plate when you indicated what you wanted. Probably not a bad idea for curbing the 'eyes bigger than stomach' brigades. It all worked fine on the occasions we used it.

Pretty easy to do on a ship, less so in a hotel environment though. But hoteliers might be encouraged to do it if it discourages all those people who, having had breakfast, then fill up various receptacles for a picnic lunch.

Edited by cvabishop

29 minutes ago, Shefford said:

A current article on the Daily Mail website is titled "Game Over for the Fabled All-You-Can-Eat Buffet?" with speculation about the future of buffet-style restaurants. A couple of comments suggest customers could wear masks along with disposable gloves supplied by the restaurant when they are actually at the buffet. The food could be screened by plexiglass apart from the bottom part where customers reach in to serve themselves - similar to many cafes. Seems reasonable to me and maybe it's a way forward for BF restaurants?

The BF update does not say what they are doing, the quote is "Some catering options will have to change.  Buffets will be replaced by our creative and innovative chefs" 

I imagine that it will be limited, however if they just gave us list of options on our 'one use' menu we could just tick what we want.

12 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Buffets will be replaced by our creative and innovative chefs" 

They don’t sound as tasty! 🤣

• Haha 4

The Daily Mail is touting the 'Dublin Dodge' to allow people to get into the UK without going into quarantine. I assume the UK government have thought of this and will be able to find out from the Irish authorities whether the people have been in the Republic for several weeks or have just arrived in the country from another destination. Ed. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

The Daily Mail is touting the 'Dublin Dodge' to allow people to get into the UK without going into quarantine. I assume the UK government have thought of this and will be able to find out from the Irish authorities whether the people have been in the Republic for several weeks or have just arrived in the country from another destination. Ed. 

This is getting a bit silly, a lot of countries require everyone to say what countries they have been to in the last n days & that would be sensible for the UK to adopt for everyone.

I am not sure when the current  Irish quarantine ends anyway

14 day self isolation is not mandatory in Republic of Ireland but from 28th May arrivals must complete a passenger location form to say where they will be staying in ROI. Failure to complete the form will be an offence.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0522/1140009-travel-to-ireland/

Minister for Health Simon Harris has said that from next week all passengers arriving into the country will be legally required to complete a passenger locator form. The Government has made it mandatory for all travellers arriving in Ireland to provide an address to Gardaí.The regulations will be signed by Minister Harris and will come into effect from Thursday, 28 May. They will remain in effect until 18 June, when they will be reviewed. The minister said making it mandatory to fill out the form was an additional step to protect citizens from imported cases of Covid-19, which he said is a very real risk. He said passengers will have the form emailed to them in advance of coming to Ireland and they will have to provide an address where they intend to stay for 14 days.The restriction will apply to all those arriving into the country at ports and airports.It will be an offence not to fill in a passenger location form. Mr Harris said penalties included fines of up to €2,500. Mr Harris said self-isolation is not a legal requirement at the moment but is "strongly advised" by the Government.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

The transport minister today implied that Ireland was doing it's own quarantine lockdown anyway?

So, you turn up in Dublin hoping to sneak past the British quarantine regulations but the Irish catch you, and force you to spend two weeks in a place of their choosing (Craggy Island for example) with Riverdance on a loop on the TV to keep you amused. 😉 Ed. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

So, you turn up in Dublin hoping to sneak past the British quarantine regulations but the Irish catch you, and force you to spend two weeks in a place of their choosing (Craggy Island for example) with Riverdance on a loop on the TV to keep you amused. 😉 Ed. 

No need just head on up to the border and into the Norrh.😁

Passengers flying into Dublin and travelling north will not have to register for 14-day quarantine

Edited by ccs147

If BF resumes from early July, I wonder if it will have to offer discounts in the summer peak to get people back on board? I have just checked prices with Eurotunnel and Ryanair and the prices for August seem to me quite a bit lower than comparable prices last August. Low fares may be needed to overcome the fear and hassle of travel. And if there is going to be the hassle of social distancing, I would prefer 35 minutes on the Tunnel shuttle train, or even an hour on Ryanair, not 7 plus hours on a ferry confined to my cabin with limited catering. It will be very difficult for Brittany Ferries to earn a price premium for what is now sounding like a less pleasant experience on board.

@AltranterIn July you won't be confined to your cabin,hence why the shops and most of the eateries will be open on board. you'll be allowed on deck too.

Airlines can offer any price they like and might as well not bother with any measures on board as the damage will be done in the queues for security and all the open plan shops air side. Airports are designed to bunch everyone together and keep them penned in hours before their flight, that's the biggest obstacle they have to deal with and travellers know this. You won't be able to board an aircraft with a liquid bottle of hand sanitiser and you'll have to take your mask off too.

Forget quarantining, with any type of self distancing air travel is knackered. 

Ferries will only be catering for travellers in their own vehicles, no footies, no cyclists, no coach parties. Unless Intelligence dictates I doubt there'll be any searches and once on board again due to limited numbers there will be a surprisingly large amount of space. You don't need to be wearing a mask at check in or passport control as you don't get out your car...  It'll be no worse than visiting a supermarket.

I'll bet a box of surgical masks and 6 hand sanitisers that the 14 day quarantine will be lifted for European ferry & shuttle travel on June 30th.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

At Dublin airport a certain Customs Officer  of TV fame  will be conducting interrogations of Northern Ireland bound passengers , by the time he is finished arguing with  passengers their 14 day quarantine will have expired . 

• Haha 1

What we could see if there are future outbreaks is the short notice closure of countries Borders if there’s an outbreak , and the demand of a quarantine period if you come from a certain country and of course a lot less contact during your travel the technology is already available to do that for Portsmouth port or BF it’s all down to cost , as usual there aren’t a lot of articles to read about the ferry industry so you begin to rely on peoples opinion of what may happen, this article has some good points that cross over to ferry travel.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecartereurope/2020/05/11/the-future-of-travel-is-touchless-yet-terrifying-with-fewer-flights-last-minute-border-closures/

• Like 1