Jump to content
Le Quiberon

Re-Start of BF Passenger Services

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

The WHO guidelines for ferry travel that BF seem to be referring to put the passenger capacity at 55%.

This surely is just going to mean higher fares - must need higher capacity than that to be profitable, especially to cover the less busy times

Going back to NEx, can anyone seriously see her returning? Certainly won't be this year I would have thought

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

This surely is just going to mean higher fares - must need higher capacity than that to be profitable, especially to cover the less busy times

Going back to NEx, can anyone seriously see her returning? Certainly won't be this year I would have thought

Yep it’s Greek Ferries that the article I found referred to but I can’t see BF guidelines being too different.

https://greekcitytimes.com/2020/05/17/new-rules-for-ferry-travel-yachts-in-greece/

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, neilcvx said:

A complimentary hot meal on DFDS channel sailings.

Two Tweets which illustrate the dissatisfaction of truck drivers.

 

and 

 

 

 

Ed

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, veryoldbear said:

There are so many exemptions that herds of people will be able to come through without quarantine requirements:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules

The only one I think I can use for the 'cheddar cheese' run is:

  • a person who is engaged in urgent or essential work on electronic communications networks

My dad is really struggling to get an appropriate virtual background on Zoom and needs help. 

Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, veryoldbear said:

There are so many exemptions that herds of people will be able to come through without quarantine requirements:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules

The last exemption on the list should see some very creative excuses for working outside of the UK .

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

The WHO guidelines for ferry travel that BF seem to be referring to put the passenger capacity at 55%.

Had a quick look at the BF ships. If we look at just using cabin accommodation.

Apart from Pont Aven all of the BF ships fall within those limits although PA's can be adjusted easily enough by restricting the Commodore's, Deluxe' and half of her Club cabins to 2 berth only.

I also wonder whether the food offering will be the same across all of the onboard restaurants in order to stop greater numbers congregating in one.

The link to Forbes is interesting, one thing they didn't mention is baggage handling in the aircraft hold, it's all communal and dependant on destination controlled tilt trays to send it to the appropriate gate and even if you use a self service check in will still be handled by around four ramp agents. COVID can live on plastic for 2-3 days, stainless steel 2-3 days & cardboard for a day.

A lot of the northern European ferry terminals have self service touch screen check in, a disposable gloved hand would cope with that, I wouldn't be surprised if the carriers insisted on it, and the tickets/door swipes are all single use, issued per passenger and ultimately disposable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jonno said:

COVID can live on plastic for 2-3 days, stainless steel 2-3 days & cardboard for a day.

How about the finest calf-skin that my Louis Vuiton luggage is made of? 

 

9 minutes ago, jonno said:

A lot of the northern European ferry terminals have self service touch screen check in, a disposable gloved hand would cope with that,

Does that work with gloves on? How about using a tablet stylus? 

Ed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the virus was transmitted through cardboard you would have assumed that we would have a massive sickness rate in Royal Mail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jonno said:

Had a quick look at the BF ships. If we look at just using cabin accommodation.

Apart from Pont Aven all of the BF ships fall within those limits although PA's can be adjusted easily enough by restricting the Commodore's, Deluxe' and half of her Club cabins to 2 berth only.

I suspect that they won't insist on cabins only for long on some ships (eg MSM), as there are not a lot of cabins compared to car capacity / size of ship. I note that the guidelines say 50% capacity is ok without cabins. 50% also makes NEX viable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

The virus on surfaces is a strange one as the CDC are now dying that is the case but it doesn’t transmit easily from surfaces.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/05/21/virus-does-not-spread-easily-contaminated-surfaces-or-animals-revised-cdc-website-states/

This is the most up to date from the CDC which includes an ITU & general ward study. Note the date, it's for July 2020

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0885_article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the NEX would have to run at much more than 50% to make it viable after all there’s a ceiling limit price that people will pay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I suspect that they won't insist on cabins only for long on some ships (eg MSM), as there are not a lot of cabins compared to car capacity / size of ship. I note that the guidelines say 50% capacity is ok without cabins. 50% also makes NEX viable

Ship size can be an illusion, Honfleur will be bigger than Pont Aven and dwarf MSM but will carry less passengers & Bretagne is a fair bit smaller than Armorique but can carry more passengers and has roughly 50% more berths.

In pre COVID  SOLAS regulated night configuration Monty can carry 1193 passengers as every passenger must have a berth or a reserved seat, that's only 2 more than Normandie, a ship which is 15 metres shorter, 2 metres narrower & 20% less GT. 

The reserved seating isn't being offered now plus I'd take her 800 car capacity with a pitch of salt due to the freight needs on the route, which is her raison d'etre. If both of the Ouistreham ships carried anywhere near their advertised passenger capacities the route would handle somewhere close to 1,800,000 a year and it just about see's half that.

50% without cabins on the larger ships will have to work otherwise no ship with passengers would sail from Dover and it would seriously curtail activity at Dublin & Belfast... and that's just in home waters.

I doubt we'll see NEX, she's very expensive to run, burns fuel like a 747, and she has a limited season plus access to the vehicle deck can't really be allocated to aid self distancing, deck space is very limited and is usually packed with smokers and vapers... cue more angst if BF make the decision to keep her tied up and switch sailings to Barfy , the 'Tat, Norma or Monty.

At the moment all of those passenger ferries built 30 years ago are looking very attractive with their large allocation of cabin/berths, big restaurants and multi deck promenades. I wonder if Irish Ferries are missing Oscar Wilde?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

How about the finest calf-skin that my Louis Vuiton luggage is made of? 

 

Does that work with gloves on? How about using a tablet stylus? 

Ed. 

Must be vintage, my Luis Viuitton Horizon 50 & 70 are made from canvas?

I used a leather gloved hand on the DFDS screens last year and the Color Line ones in 2018, the gloves are quite thick as they have Kevlar in them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jonno said:

I used a leather gloved hand on the DFDS screens last year and the Color Line ones in 2018, the gloves are quite thick as they have Kevlar in them.

That's interesting as the SNCF ticket machines never seem to work with gloves, even leather ones which looks like discrimination against cows! 😉 

You can get those special gloves for smartphones with finger- and thumb-tips which mimic human skin and should work. 

A number of French restaurants are hoping to reopen in early June and have taken to publishing their menues online with laminated QR codes affixed to tables and at the entrance for customers to scan and download. BF could presumably do something similar but passengers would need to do so before losing the 4G signal. 

Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

That's interesting as the SNCF ticket machines never seem to work with gloves, even leather ones which looks like discrimination against cows! 😉 

You can get those special gloves for smartphones with finger- and thumb-tips which mimic human skin and should work. 

A number of French restaurants are hoping to reopen in early June and have taken to publishing their menues online with laminated QR codes affixed to tables and at the entrance for customers to scan and download. BF could presumably do something similar but passengers would need to do so before losing the 4G signal. 

Ed. 

Might be dirty screens, oils in the skin can block them.

I'm considering a utility belt to hold hand wipes, alcohol spray, sanitiser, tissues etc. I don't think I need a mask, I have a cowl or do you think the black one I've made in the man (bat) cave is too much?

The QR codes sound good, Mrs J has upgraded her phone to the new Ultra 20 and has convinced me to finally bin the Nokia Lumia and put my sim in her outgoing S9.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't look like I'll be taking a ferry to France this year unless the FO withdraw their "you should not travel abroad unless it is essential" advice, and the French withdraw their requirement for all arrivals from the UK to spend 14 days in quarantine. This might be reviewed at the end of June, but I'm not expecting any great changes by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, jonno said:

doubt we'll see NEX, she's very expensive to run, burns fuel like a 747, and she has a limited season plus access to the vehicle deck can't really be allocated to aid self distancing, deck space is very limited and is usually packed with smokers and vapers...

No smoking anywhere on board.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, colin said:

No smoking anywhere on board.

Shows the last time I travelled on her.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can order food on the Wetherspoons app from anywhere in the world select the pub then table number , hence my son asking me to order him shots at the Cumbernauld one at 2 am a couple of months ago no reason BF couldn’t used an intranet type system and an app based ordering system , seeing as the website is so popular it shouldn’t be a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jonno said:

In pre COVID  SOLAS regulated night configuration Monty can carry 1193 passengers as every passenger must have a berth or a reserved seat,

 

Either lots of operators around the world are breaking the regulations or that isn't a SOLAS requirement.

Edited by hhvferry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

You can order food on the Wetherspoons app from anywhere in the world select the pub then table number , hence my son asking me to order him shots at the Cumbernauld one at 2 am a couple of months ago no reason BF couldn’t used an intranet type system and an app based ordering system , seeing as the website is so popular it shouldn’t be a problem.

1) I find the Wetherspoons app great, I have even been known to order a half pint on it.

2) If BF used in app ordering, I would hate to see what gets delivered given the quality of their developers.  I guess that it would not be that difficult to put an intranet on board with information as well as food ordering as they have put wifi across the shop to support the premium services.

For interest, the Wetherspoon appraoch to reopening has some useful features (like disposable menus) https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/news/2020/05/wetherspoon-is-to-invest-an-initial-11-million-before-its-pubs-reopen

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, almosthere said:

It doesn't look like I'll be taking a ferry to France this year unless the FO withdraw their "you should not travel abroad unless it is essential" advice, and the French withdraw their requirement for all arrivals from the UK to spend 14 days in quarantine. This might be reviewed at the end of June, but I'm not expecting any great changes by then.

I would expect the end of June to be the key date as that coincides with the 'review' of our quarantine arrangements plus Spain removing theirs. I note that Spain is now encouraging tourists from July. I spent yesterday doing lots of what ifs re my July trip (Spain / France) and decided to keep the booking and review everything at the end of June. I also make a new August booking of a return to Caen ( as 2 singles) to give me some flexibility whatever happens. The current extra 10% CV discount is quite handy as it brings the cost down.

I think that booking will be quite difficult once BF announce the new policies and possibly less ships.

Edited by David Williams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonno said:

Might be dirty screens, oils in the skin can block them

I believe I've just inadvertently found the solution to the touch-screen problem. 

My smartphone was on my desk with the screen unlocked while I was called away to check on my daughter's homework. From the other room I heard it vibrating like a prisoner in an electric chair. Going back to see what was happening I found two flies doing a mating-dance across the screen, putting unnecessary items in my Amazon basket at the same time. 

So, to activate all these new touch-screens which are going to appear I simply need a tame fly (or a family of tame flies as each used one will have to be humanely swatted to avoid the risk of COVID transmission) able to recognise numbers, letters, red and green buttons and tick/cross symbols. The big added bonus obviously is the fly's inability to divulge my credit card number to anyone else. 

Ed. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...