Le Quiberon

Re-Start of BF Passenger Services

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

I would expect the end of June to be the key date as that coincides with the 'review' of our quarantine arrangements plus Spain removing theirs. I note that Spain is now encouraging tourists from July. I spent yesterday doing lots of what ifs re my July trip (Spain / France) and decided to keep the booking and review everything at the end of June. I also make a new August booking of a return to Caen ( as 2 singles) to give me some flexibility whatever happens. The current extra 10% CV discount is quite handy as it brings the cost down.

I think that booking will be quite difficult once BF announce the new policies and possibly less ships.

and hopefully, with a bit of luck,  it might be a bit easier to book the dog friendly cabins

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

The current extra 10% CV discount is quite handy as it brings the cost down.

I have been a CV Spain member for 12yrs and did not receive the latest magazine or any information about this extra 10% discount where is this information published please?

8 minutes ago, JohnMustow said:

I have been a CV Spain member for 12yrs and did not receive the latest magazine or any information about this extra 10% discount where is this information published please?

It was in the April newsletter, however I think that it only applies to France.

<<We’re looking forward to when overseas travel starts again and we can continue to reveal the stunning regions of France and Spain. We also recognise that you’ll want to get your travel plans back on track, so we’re offering you an extra 10% off all sailings to France for departures right up until 1 November*. That’s a total saving of 40%.

We very much understand that you may wish to wait before making any new arrangements, so we are holding this offer open for you until the 10 July. >>

2 minutes ago, David Williams said:

It was in the April newsletter, however I think that it only applies to France.

<<We’re looking forward to when overseas travel starts again and we can continue to reveal the stunning regions of France and Spain. We also recognise that you’ll want to get your travel plans back on track, so we’re offering you an extra 10% off all sailings to France for departures right up until 1 November*. That’s a total saving of 40%.

We very much understand that you may wish to wait before making any new arrangements, so we are holding this offer open for you until the 10 July. >>

Thanks for that. We have made complicated family arrangements to change our mid July Bilbao-Portsmouth sailing to Bilbao-Rosslare and you learn this is not possible online that you must pay Irish sailings in Euro. However the short time to sailing means you pay everything on booking and Irish bookings are very expensive for an economie ferry. Fortunately we had booked fully flexible for the Portsmouth leg and the second payment was stopped in time. The accepted voucher  will be used for the return Plymouth-Santander.

7 minutes ago, almosthere said:

Dream on. There won't be any passenger ferries this year.

Care for a small wager on that??

20 minutes ago, almosthere said:

13 minutes ago, Paully said:

Care for a small wager on that??

There definitely won’t be any significant passenger services that’s almost certain.

30 minutes ago, almosthere said:

But there are, it is just Brittany Ferries that is not allowing passengers.

• Like 2

It is some five weeks to the 1st July and I would expect many things to happen between now and then.

Looking at BF, website I found I can do a booking in July, this year but not as a footy but I can take the car and have to book a cabin, which don't pay anyone if going for a weekend.

2 hours ago, veryoldbear said:

It is some five weeks to the 1st July and I would expect many things to happen between now and then.

Hopefully all good and no second peak in the virus.

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

But there are, it is just Brittany Ferries that is not allowing passengers.

Good luck with your journey 

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/conseils-aux-voyageurs/conseils-par-pays-destination/royaume-uni/

If anyone in the UK wished to use France or Spain ferries via Ireland make sure you book your Irish Sea crossing (i.e. the landbridge) via BF as they get quite large discounts from Stena and Irish Ferries.

41 minutes ago, BigDW1946 said:

If anyone in the UK wished to use France or Spain ferries via Ireland make sure you book your Irish Sea crossing (i.e. the landbridge) via BF as they get quite large discounts from Stena and Irish Ferries.

Hi BigD, can you give a bit more info on that. We have booked our Economie Kerry sailing Bilbao-Rosslare with BF. We have looked at the onward sailing Dublin-Holyhead with both IF & Stena both expensive but I’m leaning to Stena for my first trip on Estrid but it is about £10 dearer. We will have a cabin since we are both 75 (high risk) so want as much social distance as is possible. It’s our annual round robin trip to see our g/children doing it in reverse to normal.

Did you mean book via BFE rather than BF ?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BigDW1946 said:

Hardly an option worth considering seeing that there are no ferries taking passengers between Ireland and France /Spain at the moment, plus Ireland's 14 day quarantine I believe applies to passengers from the UK regardless of the Common Travel Area (one way only Ireland to UK ).

Edited by Chef
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chef said:
4 hours ago, BigDW1946 said:

Hardly an option worth considering seeing that there are no ferries taking passengers between Ireland and France /Spain at the moment, plus Ireland's 14 day quarantine I believe applies to passengers from the UK regardless of the Common Travel Area (one way only Ireland to UK ).

Irish Ferries is taking passengers between Cherbourg and Dublin.  However, on arrival in Dublin passengers are supposed to quarantine for 14 days. The port authorities would probably take a dim view of a Cherbourg-Dublin-Holyhead itinerary but there may not be much they can do about it.  Passengers travelling onwards to Northern Ireland are being allowed to pass through Dublin Port and Dublin Airport, so why not the rest of the United Kingdom? 

36 minutes ago, Buzzbee said:

Passengers travelling onwards to Northern Ireland are being allowed to pass through Dublin Port and Dublin Airport, so why not the rest of the United Kingdom? 

Because Northern Ireland is a very sensitive political situation , Good Friday Agreement , open border and a big can of worms  etc .

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Buzzbee said:

Irish Ferries is taking passengers between Cherbourg and Dublin.

For essential workers and Irish/NI citizens being repatriated , not holiday makers .

Edited by Chef

We gave a great deal of thought to our rearranged sailing to Ireland and fully expect to lock down in Mallow for 3 weeks with our granddaughters which will include the eldest ones 7th birthday. Then on to Wales to see my older sister on our way to Devon to be locked down again if necessary for four weeks to include my grandsons 7th birthday. We hope we will not have to interact with very many people at all before arriving back home in September to Ayamonte where there has been just one case of Covid19 in the whole period of “state alarm” imposed on 16/03.  We will be sea-bridging between very sterile places in every way.

BigD anymore info on the Stena discounts through BF. We are CV members but have not seen or heard anything of this previously and we have been doing this round trip in one way or another for more than 10yrs now.

Anyway back to the topic, I am very happy that BF are making the changes needed to make travel by ferry no less safe than going to the supermarket, my only concern is that it may be no more fun than going to the supermarket.

BF will only make passenger sailings available when governments are happy with travel & it has got to be better than a plane.

On a side issue, it will be interesting if social distancing reduces seasonal flu and colds this winter 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Anyway back to the topic, I am very happy that BF are making the changes needed to make travel by ferry no less safe than going to the supermarket, my only concern is that it may be no more fun than going to the supermarket.

BF will only make passenger sailings available when governments are happy with travel & it has got to be better than a plane.

On a side issue, it will be interesting if social distancing reduces seasonal flu and colds this winter 

I think it already has, since lockdown started here in southern Spain we have had no winter colds or tummy bugs and many of our friends have had the same experience and there are many in the same age group as us who also have pre-existing conditions but now we are appearing out of our cocoons everybody seems to be good health.

The 14 day quarantine for U.K visitors to Spain will end on the 1st July.

Jet2 will resume full services to Spain & Italy from the same date. Greece and Croatia will follow later.

40% of Ryanair flights will resume from the U.K on the same day and their other hubs across Europe will also recommence.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jonno said:

The 14 day quarantine for U.K visitors to Spain will end on the 1st July.

Jet2 will resume full services to Spain & Italy from the same date. Greece and Croatia will follow later.

40% of Ryanair flights will resume from the U.K on the same day and their other hubs across Europe will also recommence.

What may happen. There’s no doubt that’s what the companies want to happen but there’s a lot can change between now and then .

26 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I suspect that we will see BF move the restart to 1st July.

Hope so we moved heaven and earth to change from Bilboa-Portsmouth 16th July to Bilboa-Rosslare 6th July!