Le Quiberon

Re-Start of BF Passenger Services

1 hour ago, Paully said:

If you had been looking round comments sections/social media etc you would have seen Q fatigue had set in quite some time before the Blackford/Kinnock/Cummins debacle. Its called human nature. We live in a society that will knuckle down for a period of time in an emergency but sooner or later it wears off.  If it had been awful typical UK weather things would be different. But that, I submit, is the causation factor not the folly of the few. That I`m sure is the reason Macron has eased back on conditions in France, he`s recognised the human fraility and how the spirit reacts. We all have to accept that life is a gamble, we cut back on the risks of course but we have to surf in the direction it takes us. 

Oh yes I can recommend turning the UK TV News off..It allows the blood pressure to return to normal readings..As I said cut the risks to health.

Keep safe everyone every day..

Yes human nature does set in after a while,and people will take advantage of it .ie breaking the rules in which I suppose a lot of us may have done.the major thing is when a public figure who helped to draw the rules up but saying that his rules because in my thinking the tail is wagging the dog.breaks the rule it is no wonder people are going bananas about it.in any case my rant is over for a while.hsve good weekend all of you and stay safe

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hhvferry said:

Two of those are not the same as the other despite the attempts to pretend they are.

Somebody going home and staying there isn’t against the guidelines.

• Like 2

Hello Everyone,

I'm finding this forum very interesting reading and informative, so thank you.

For the first time we are due to take the ferry from Porstmouth to Santander on the 24th July and drive down to the Algarve for a month to our second home. We normally fly, so thank goodness we booked the ferry this time as we will feel much safer from C19.

What's your opinion on this happening and what are your thoughts on how self distancing will be managed on the ferry. We have a dog friendly cabin so I would think we are safe in there and outside on deck but its the car loading and pedestrian movements from this that worries me?

Also does anyone know whether the borders between Spain and Portugal are going to open?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Grego said:

For the first time we are due to take the ferry from Porstmouth to Santander

The European ferry industry needs more people like you Grego!

(This could be the green shoots of a whole new market for BF...)

As for you question, I would imagine self-distancing will work similar onboard to what happens on terra firma i.e. controlled people flow in operation similar to a supermarket.

I suspect that vehicular loading will take longer, as operators will try to avoid situations where people accumulate near lifts and on stairways. Before this pandemic, pre-arrival access to the car decks has always been staggered, so I guess that this staggering will be even more pronounced and granular. 

As for your question regarding Spain/Portugal border. I'm not sure.

Edited by zuludelta

11 minutes ago, zuludelta said:

As for your question regarding Spain/Portugal border. I'm not sure.

I had a look on the internet, but none of the entries were particularly recent.

The stuff that was there seemed to be saying that the situation would be reviewed on 15th June.  I reckon you’ll be OK for end-July.

It’ll be the Portuguese ‘in the driving seat’, because they’ve had a low level of infection, have they not?   If things were to go badly wrong in Spain in the coming weeks, then I’d suggest that you wouldn’t get as far as Santander and thus the Spain / Portugal border situation will be academic!

Thanks for your replies.

My other concerns are with the wife who is one of the high risk having recently had Cancer treatment - I'm hoping that not only are the Government going to release the travel restrictions in the summer, but also restrictions on some of the high risk shielding will be eased over time. She has 4 more weeks left out of the 12 weeks brought in March and we are hoping they won't extend this. I appreciate, it our own risk leaving the country however its so much safer in Portugal than in the UK with low infections they had over there.

We are looking forward to our sailing with Brittany Ferries as we have never done the UK to Spain sailing, only the fast cat sailing to St Malo which was very good.

Fingers crossed for July!

1 hour ago, Grego said:

Thanks for your replies.

My other concerns are with the wife who is one of the high risk having recently had Cancer treatment - I'm hoping that not only are the Government going to release the travel restrictions in the summer, but also restrictions on some of the high risk shielding will be eased over time. She has 4 more weeks left out of the 12 weeks brought in March and we are hoping they won't extend this. I appreciate, it our own risk leaving the country however its so much safer in Portugal than in the UK with low infections they had over there.

We are looking forward to our sailing with Brittany Ferries as we have never done the UK to Spain sailing, only the fast cat sailing to St Malo which was very good.

I heard this morning that there has been a new outbreak of the virus in Lisbon and some extra restrictions are being reintroduced there but hopefully the rest of the country will stay free. 

Best wishes for your wife's treatment. 

Ed. 

2 hours ago, Grego said:

Thanks for your replies.

Welcome Grego,

I take a weekly dose of a cytotoxic drug which is used in cancer treatment, It was stopped in March (13th) due to it being an immunosuppressant which took around a month to leave my system... I tested positive for COVID  Wed' March 25th.

With the knowledge of us hoping to travel to France on July 4th, my consultant was confident in restarting my treatment this week and was told I needed to shield myself until this coming Wednesday. Maybe have a chat with your wife's consultant as you have the best part of 8 weeks until the Friday sailing?

Currently Spain & England are ending the 14 day quarantining July 1st, the announcement was made last week, but there's a caveat. At the moment the ports on the list are Vigo & Bilbao...Cantabria are currently negotiating with Madrid to have Santander open too.

I'll stick to the three key points, hand washing, sanitiser and a decent mask when appropriate. I'm not worried about the close proximity climbing stairs as it's more face to back not face to face. I won't do gloves as that can spread it worse than skin as you can sanitise your hands regularly in communal areas, you can't clean your gloves.

With onboard shopping I'll keep in mind what my dad used to say to me as a kid, 'Oi, yer look with yer eyes not yer hands'. 

Hope you manage to travel.

14 hours ago, jonno said:

Welcome Grego,

I take a weekly dose of a cytotoxic drug which is used in cancer treatment, It was stopped in March (13th) due to it being an immunosuppressant which took around a month to leave my system... I tested positive for COVID  Wed' March 25th.

With the knowledge of us hoping to travel to France on July 4th, my consultant was confident in restarting my treatment this week and was told I needed to shield myself until this coming Wednesday. Maybe have a chat with your wife's consultant as you have the best part of 8 weeks until the Friday sailing?

Currently Spain & England are ending the 14 day quarantining July 1st, the announcement was made last week, but there's a caveat. At the moment the ports on the list are Vigo & Bilbao...Cantabria are currently negotiating with Madrid to have Santander open too.

I'll stick to the three key points, hand washing, sanitiser and a decent mask when appropriate. I'm not worried about the close proximity climbing stairs as it's more face to back not face to face. I won't do gloves as that can spread it worse than skin as you can sanitise your hands regularly in communal areas, you can't clean your gloves.

With onboard shopping I'll keep in mind what my dad used to say to me as a kid, 'Oi, yer look with yer eyes not yer hands'. 

Hope you manage to travel.

Thanks for your response and I hope you remain safe and well from your treatment.

After such difficult times over the last 10 weeks we are all hoping and looking forward to getting away from it all in the summer.

I'm confident this will happen, but just hoping that the Goverment don't carry on playing silly buggers over the summer.

It does seem a bit unfair if BF are restricted to 50 or 55% of rated passengers, it would make more sense for the limits to be based on what can safely be handled given the layout of the ship and the space available.

Planes have no limit set and I am not sure whether cruise lines do either,

Planes have no limit set and I am not sure whether cruise lines do either,

Academic at the moment. P&O have now cancelled all cruises prior to 15th October.

On that subject spare a thought for those in the entertainment industry. Most of them are effectively finished. 

• Sad 1

The number of passengers for which a ferry is rated is normally dictated by SOLAS and ferries like those of BF will normally have enough cabins plus reclining seats to accomodate that number. You may all have been on a BF vessel during the summer when they are running close to capacity with full car decks plus extra foot PAX usually school groups. It's pandemonium and the self-service restaurants have a hard time. Restricting capacity to available cabin berths seems reasonable enough. However, if any of you have done survival at sea training you will problem observe that maintaining social distancing in an emergency would be a bit of a laugh.

50 minutes ago, Millsy said:

On that subject spare a thought for those in the entertainment industry. Most of them are effectively finished. 

French cinemas are due to reopen on 22 June so hopefully other entertainment venues will follow once they are sure there are no problems. Ed. 

On 30/05/2020 at 16:28, Gardian said:

I had a look on the internet, but none of the entries were particularly recent.

The stuff that was there seemed to be saying that the situation would be reviewed on 15th June.  I reckon you’ll be OK for end-July.

It’ll be the Portuguese ‘in the driving seat’, because they’ve had a low level of infection, have they not?   If things were to go badly wrong in Spain in the coming weeks, then I’d suggest that you wouldn’t get as far as Santander and thus the Spain / Portugal border situation will be academic!

Things are looking up for our trip to Portugal in July with the possible air bridge between the two countries! All we need now is for Spain to open up their border so we can drive down from Santander?

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Grego said:

Things are looking up for our trip to Portugal in July with the possible air bridge between the two countries! All we need now is for Spain to open up their border so we can drive down from Santander?

I hope that you are right, however I have the feeling that even if the UK wanted to open up the border, no-one would want us, only Portugal has a higher rate than us in European tourist destinations. I am getting pessimistic regarding BF passenger services in July (apart from possibly Ireland / Spain)

The map in the linked article is interesting.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8381805/Almost-countries-Britons-want-head-LOWER-coronavirus-infection-rates.html

Edited by David Williams

1 hour ago, Grego said:

Faro are opening around July 6th I believe for flights from the U.K.

Please remember that  before the Spanish announcement to say that the U.K wouldn't be allowed access until the numbers dropped, their plan was to only open Vigo & Bilbao... and we can't forget that it's also being reported that the U.K won't look to lift quarantine restrictions until July 20th.

The situation will change rapidly which is why to some point it's better to wait and see, even a week is a long time, more like a month in the current situation. The new NOIDS (notification of infectious diseases) update to May 31st is encouraging.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Grego said:

It has been published today that the proposed 15 June opening of the Spain-Portugal border is put back to 1 July this was a report of the Portuguese Foreign Minister.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Last night's BF update didn't have very much to say. There is obviously rising frustration within BF Management as well as with BF Victims. The mixed and constantly changing Government advice from both sides of the Channel means that any attempts to plan one's life are bound to end up in confusion. I think all one can do at the moment is to make some sort of plan, try to minimise one's financial exposure if the plan has to be changed, and just be prepared to duck and weave. I'm not in a bad situation as I'm semi-retired / bit of home working. I feel sorry for people who actually have to book leave etc and can't drop everything and change plans at short notice.

Edited by veryoldbear
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

We have family booked on the Portsmouth Santander run on 16th June to visit and help us for some months here in Portugal so far it is showing as operating.  I admit I was expecting it to be cancelled by now, so does anybody have any idea that this is probably going to be cancelled or not

Edited by Lofty

41 minutes ago, Lofty said:

We have family booked on the Portsmouth Santander run on 16th June to visit and help us for some months here in Portugal so far it is showing as operating.  I admit I was expecting it to be cancelled by now, so does anybody have any idea that this is probably going to be cancelled or not

I suspect that you may not know until the last minute, but my gut reaction (no inside knowledge of any kind) is that passenger services (both France and Spain) won't now start until 1st July. Pure guesswork. Even then the Portsmouth - Santander run will be a rather dismal experience.

57 minutes ago, Lofty said:

My understanding is that if they are coming from UK  they won't be allowed into Spain at that date unless they can claim essential travel.. They might have more chance of a direct flight to Portugal. 

3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

But not the other way according to the Portuguese foreign minister who says 1st July to travel from Spain to Portugal. So you could fly in to Faro travel to Spain on the 22nd June have a fortnight on the Costa de la Luz then fly home after the border is open on the 1st July. Tens of thousands do that every summer starting withe the Irish and Scottish who have their summer school break earlier than England. Also if you intended to drive in from Santander if there is no change you would be stuck in Spain until the 1st.

They are traveling via their own vehicle as it is safer virus wise, and it was arranged months ago that they were coming to work For us for a few months - they do have an email confirming this, plus they have their own accommodation that is separate from the house to self isolate, so hopefully their won’t be a problem 😬