I’ve been working through scanning my large collection of printed ferry memorabilia - over 180 items so far! - and have uploaded them all online.

Loads of BF brochures etc - I’ve only scanned the covers in most cases but happy to scan individual ones if any members have an interest in one particular one.

www.european-ferries.co.uk is where they can be found. Proper website will be built to host them if I find the time! 

Hope some of you find it of use...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I've added some more images over the last 3 days including items for;

Calmac

Color Line

Condor

DFDS

Eurolink

Hoverspeed

Isle of Man Steam Packet

Norfolkline

Norse Merchant

Olau Line

P&O Normandy Ferries

Sally Line

Smyril Line

Superfast

Whilst I've only scanned the covers, I'm happy to scan the contents of individual items by request (To scan my entire collection page by page is probably a years work!)

Enjoy! 

Edited by Charred_Fish

On Tuesday 30th June 2020 the Isle of Man Steam Packet will celebrate its 190th anniversary (the oldest continually operating passenger shipping company since 30th June 1830).

The first wooden paddle steamer (Mona's Isle) built on the river Clyde and launched from Glasgow and cost £7,052. The Packets fleet will be decked in bunting and sound whistles in Douglas harbour at 6PM on Tuesday evening. I will be there.........

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Victoria Pier Douglas - a 1976 photo taken by Harry Haddrill. Nearest the camera Mona's Queen 1971, Mona's Isle 1950, Ben-my-chree 1965, Lady of Man 1975 and Manxman 1955. Snaefell 1948

IMG_2767.JPG

Edited by Manxscorpio
  • Like 1

One look at that and you can see why Manx Line came into being. You probably couldn't find a greater collection of outdated or old-fashioned tonnage and a conservative operational mindset anywhere in the world in 1976.

• Haha 1

The picture says completely the opposite to me!  I remember those days - the IoMSP operation was so extensive it makes me wonder why there was any room for Manx Line to find any custom.

The late arrival of linkspan operations to IoM operations were, I thought, more to do with the technical challenges of the tidal range at Douglas than a conservative mindset?  But maybe that was the explanation when the spiral ramp solution was devised back in the 60s, and that solution was stuck to in the 70s even though technology had advanced to the point where linkspan provision became possible.

And.....I’d rather sail on that Ben-My-Chree than the current one any day!

• Like 1

And Manx Maid (probably on a Liverpool crossing) is missing from the photo - None of the "Classic" vessels from that time survive today.

They were just doing what they'd always done. The Steam Packet were a sort of family run company who utterly failed to adapt to the times. They were still offering a service designed to cope with the sort of traffic from the traditional northern holiday weeks which was in precipitous decline. But they did nothing to cater properly for motorcycle traffic which was what drove the founders of Manx Line. There was no particular reason ro-ro couldn't work on the island, as evidenced by the eventual introduction of the Jaguar to try and stem the losses from Manx Line whose flawed one-ship operation had taken a huge slice out of their business. I'm sure it would have been fantastic to travel on these old steamers, no matter that they weren't particularly comfortable to travel on, but the whole operation belonged in the 1950s. Credit to Manx Line for revolutionising services to the island.

7 minutes ago, Gareth said:

And.....I’d rather sail on that Ben-My-Chree than the current one any day!

Absolutely. The current one is the least charming ship imaginable. Utterly dismal.

• Like 1

On 24/06/2020 at 20:23, Charred_Fish said:

I’ve been working through scanning my large collection of printed ferry memorabilia - over 180 items so far! - and have uploaded them all online.

Loads of BF brochures etc - I’ve only scanned the covers in most cases but happy to scan individual ones if any members have an interest in one particular one.

www.european-ferries.co.uk is where they can be found. Proper website will be built to host them if I find the time! 

Hope some of you find it of use...

Some very interesting stuff there! Thanks for sharing!

Thought it’s worth sharing- tonight in Douglas bay - celebrations of 190 years of continuous ferry service which has been essential for the ISle of Man despite some moaning on the vessels over the past few decades. Actually we have always needed this A to B service - better on the ferries in years gone by with crisp white table cloths and silver service restaurant and a la crate menu. I digress .... but worth a memory even though the bunting was minimal... maybe 200 years might be better.......

7C942A4D-8C24-4AA6-B67D-C8B594916B12.jpeg

4C6459E7-834C-429C-AFD5-3B5F024FDFAA.jpeg

• Like 1